Is Rocky Top out dated?

Having played Rocky Top a few thousand times in the Pride starting in 1981, it was in full effect by the start of the 80's. I haven't read the entire thread, but does anyone even know what the actual "fight song" of UT is?

Down the field

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

Is the Star Spangled Banner outdated too? It is apart of Tennessee heritage and history

I haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if already posted, but here is what is on the utsports.com website under Traditions.

Rocky Top

Felice and Boudleaux Bryant's "Rocky Top," -- written in 10 minutes at the Gatlinburg Inn in 1967 â€" has captured the fancy of Vol fans everywhere and is a much-requested and much-played song at UT sporting events.

First performed as part of a halftime country music show at the 1972 Tennessee-Alabama game, the song attracted so much attention and is so beloved that long-time UT band directorW.J. Julian said that not playing it would cause a mutiny among Vol fans.

It's been described as "simplistic and clever," with five basic chords and title being repeated 19 times. Yet opposing coaches have mentioned the influence and impact of "Rocky Top" on their teams and their game preparations.

There have been more than 100 renditions of "Rocky Top" by individuals, country groups, bluegrass and even East Tennessee rock groups. "Rocky Top" was adopted as an official song of the state of Tennessee by Chapter 545 of the Public Acts of 1982.

I live in NYC, am a proud alum of UT and I blast rocky top whenever I can.

Nothing encapsulates the culture and tradition of East Tennessee like rocky top does.

You are an idiot op and if you said this to me at a bar after a few whiskey drinks I might punch you in the idiot face.

What a dumb ass.

Rocky top you'll always be...home sweet home to me.

I bet op is a doucher from the northeast who didn't have a good time socially at Tennessee because he couldn't embrace the culture.

Reactions: 4 people
Please tell me the OP wasn't serious??? I mean you need... crap I dunno what you need. I mean seriously???

Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif

Always fun to watch the VN hounds tree a poster who had an idea...and shouldn't have.

Go Vols.

Last edited:
can someone order that they get rid of that silly "woo" in rocky top when sung at UT games??

let's break down the lyrics....

Wish that I was on ole Rocky Top
Down in the Tennessee Hills.
Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top,
Ain't no telephone bills.

Ok, this shows the school was ahead of its time the way an institution of higher learning should be. No one has a telephone anymore. Everyone has a cell phone. Rocky Top is clearly forward thinking.

Once I had a girl on Rocky Top,
Half bear the other half cat;
Wild as a mink as sweet as soda pop,

I still dream about that.

Does this really need explanation? And kudos to a university that thinks from a male point of view.

Once two strangers climbed on rocky top,
Lookin' for a moonshine still.
Strangers ain't come back from rocky top,
Guess they never will.

Now, again, this is vital educational information right here. Two strangers and some moonshine and the possibilities are endless. This is something all young people need to be aware of.

Corn won't grow at all on rocky top,
Dirt's too rocky by far.
That's why all the folks on rocky top
Get their corn from a jar.

This is an example of the kind of research that can really reach people in their daily lives. Corn is good. But, the corn won’t grow. How do we get our corn? Rocky Top educates and informs.

Now I've had years of cramped up city life,
Trapped like a duck in a pen.
Now all I know is it's a pity life
Can't be simple again.

Again, more life lessons. Don’t take all that high priced education and go out in the city and expect to be happy. Stay where that moonshine flows and the corn don’t grow. Stay where women are sweet as soda pop.

Chorus

Rocky top, you'll always be
Home sweet home to me.
Good ole rocky top,
Rocky top tennessee, rocky top Tennessee

Now, how can this ever get old? Home. Who doesn’t pine for home?

It's : "strangers ain't come (down) from Rocky Top reckon they never will .:peace2:

You should pay more attention next year. I have a feeling your going to hear that quite often !! :superman:

I suspect that most Vol fans are like me in that I have'nt memorized the words of the verses, but I damn well can hum the melody. But, the words and melody of the chorus are legendary and deeply ingrained in the DNA and soul of every Vol fan!

The Star Spangled Banner has been the national anthem since 1931. I agree...we need to change things up...I am sure Beyonce has a good diddy that we can use in this country.

Don't mess with perfection, dude!

I live in NYC, am a proud alum of UT and I blast rocky top whenever I can.

Nothing encapsulates the culture and tradition of East Tennessee like rocky top does.

You are an idiot op and if you said this to me at a bar after a few whiskey drinks I might punch you in the idiot face.

What a dumb ass.

Rocky top you'll always be...home sweet home to me.

I bet op is a doucher from the northeast who didn't have a good time socially at Tennessee because he couldn't embrace the culture.

Sounds about right to me.

I suspect that most Vol fans are like me in that I have'nt memorized the words of the verses, but I damn well can hum the melody. But, the words and melody of the chorus are legendary and deeply ingrained in the DNA and soul of every Vol fan!

Ummm, you need to listen to it more often. My 6 year old can sing every verse.

Wish that I was on ole rocky top,
Down in the Tennessee hills.
Ain't no smoggy smoke on rocky top,
Ain't no telephone bills.

Once there was a girl on rocky top,
Half bear the other half cat.
Wild as a mink, sweet as soda pop,
I still dream about that.

Home sweet home to me.
Good ole rocky top,
Rocky top Tennessee, rocky top Tennessee.

Once two strangers climbed on rocky top,
Lookin' for a moonshine still.
Strangers ain't come back from rocky top,
Guess they never will.

Corn won't grow at all on rocky top,
Dirt's too rocky by far.
That's why all the folks on rocky top
Get their corn from a jar.

Home sweet home to me.
Good ole rocky top,
Rocky top Tennessee, rocky top Tennessee.

Now I've had years of cramped up city life,
Trapped like a duck in a pen.

Now all I know is it's a pity life
Can't be simple again.

Home sweet home to me.
Good ole rocky top,
Rocky top Tennessee, ROCKY TOP TENNESSEEEEEEEE!

GO VOLS!

It's : "strangers ain't come (down) from Rocky Top reckon they never will .:peace2:

You should pay more attention next year. I have a feeling your going to hear that quite often !! :superman:

Technically, it's back, according to the original song lyrics and the University of Tennessee Traditional Song Lyrics The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

But as I read those verses, there's a few little changes fans have made to the lyrics over the years.

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly, bluegrass song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team, playing Rocky Top over and over and over and over and over is insane in college sports today. What about the playing the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies instead? It may run a little long, but it does have a catchy melody and also has a banjo.

SIAP, but how did you happen? What unfortunate series of events led to you being so awful?

Also, no offense.

Correct me if I'm wrong (but I don't think I am), it seems to me that Rocky Top isn't played nearly as often as it was in the past. And I'm not just talking about the days when things were going well......I mean, even back to the mediocre early-80s when I was in school there. I just remember it getting on the nerves of our opponents and their fans a lot more frequently than in the past 10 years or so.

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly, bluegrass song is past it's prime?

The playing of "RT" is as much ingrained in UT football as the " Running thru the T ". Please move on to another subject.

GBO:rock:

VN Store

Back