Is Rocky Top out dated?

I agree. I can't stand that backward, hillbilly song either, but you're never going to win that argument here. Rocky Top was rarely played when I was a student back in the 70s. I think it came into vogue in the mid-late eighties, so anyone that tells you it's some kind of "tradition" doesn't know their history.
!

Its a crying shame the Vol Walk has only been around since 1989 it would be a pretty nice tradition too bad we've only been doing it a quarter of a century.

I'd say 42 years of Rocky Top constitutes Tradition.

My beloved Marine Corps turned 239 years old on November 10th. A lot of the "Traditions" that are celebrated today were really nothing more than made up stories. The stories were good enough that they kept being told and now they are considered tradition.

The "Blood Stripe" on the Marine Corps Dress Blue Trousers is a good example. Great story.....completely fabricated. The story is that they're worn by NCO's and Officers in rememberence of all the NCO's and Officers that died at the Battle of Chapultepec (1847). The fact is...they just showed up on the uniforms one year (1840) and the story came out some time later as a reason.

To this day though, Marines are honored to become an NCO or Officer and earn the "Blood Stripe" on their leg.

Edit: As a sidenote. There were somewhere between 400 and 450 Marines at Chapultepec ("The Halls of Montezuma"). Seven were killed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
We get rid of Rocky Top we might as well get rid of the Power T. Makes no sense just like this thread.

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

Needed a poll, IMO. :)

But to answer your question: not no, but HELL NO!!

lady-kick.gif

:yahoo: Perfection. :hi:

"Rocky Top" is one of the most recognizable fight songs in college. One would be a fool to change it at this point.

Maybe in the future if there's a hit song about Tennessee. Until then.........NO!!!

It's been voted in the top 5 of best fight songs in college for years, despite the fact so many opposing fans hate it.

It's been voted in the top 5 of best fight songs in college for years, despite the fact so many opposing fans hate it.

They hate it, but they appreciate their hate for it. A lot of opposing fans sing along with it. It's kind of catchy.

No Sh*%^t. Of course it does. You're missing the point of opinnions and the ability to express dissent on this board.

I'm not missing anything! You should know that if you come on here with an opinion that 99% of members disagree with then you're going to get blasted! If you don't won't people being a smarta&& towards your opinion then keep it to yourself.

Does anyone think that maybe playing a 50 year old hillbilly country song is past it's prime? With the advent of other music to pump up the crowd and the team gaining popularity nationwide, it may be time to consider making a change. My first home game was in 1972, when I saw Haskel Stanback run the opening kickoff back for a TD against Penn State, in a Big Orange victory. Rocky Top wasn't played then and the crowd didn't seem to miss it. I know this may not be a popular idea, but just wondering how most fans feel.

OP, your face is out dated!

Sorry, just wanted to say that.

:pepper:

You should change your name to "2ndandgoal" after that terrible idea

Also, I believe Rocky Top was introduced in the late 70s/early 80s

Kinda like this one is...! :crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7csGhMQoQms

Rocky top was outdated when it was written but there is nothing better than 100k singing it in unison on a Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:
I agree. I can't stand that backward, hillbilly song either, but you're never going to win that argument here. Rocky Top was rarely played when I was a student back in the 70s. I think it came into vogue in the mid-late eighties, so anyone that tells you it's some kind of "tradition" doesn't know their history.

As for it being a school "fight song", there's absolutely nothing about the University of Tennessee in the song. It's about a criminals breaking federal and state laws and killing law enforcement agents. I'm SOOO proud,.... NOT!

The chorus of the song is what is sung at the games and there is nothing hillbilly about it.

You sir should give up your fan card, for even thinking this absurd thought, let alone starting a thread!:realmad::censored:

VN Store

Back