"I'm not buying Jeremy Pruitt even though they're on a nice little run."

That's what Bo Bounds said this morning on his sports talk show in Jackson, MS. He's been anti-Pruitt for a while now, which isn't surprising because he regularly turns his nose up at guys who are less sophisticated than himself. It's also worth noting that he thinks Phillip Fulmer is incompetent.

I don't really care what he thinks, but it made me wonder what's it going to take for national media to recognize what most of us recognize? That Jeremy Pruitt has turned the corner and has the program headed toward the top-tier of the SEC.

Will winning out be enough or does he have to beat Florida and Georgia before the rest of the country take notice?

A bowl game this year will be seen as acceptable progress.

However, long term, he will need to start beating those teams and competing for championships.

I agree with him at this point. We are still 5-5 and lost to Ga St. and BYU. I hope these last few games are a sign we are trending in the right direction but I am still not anywhere close to naming him our savior. We have not played a complete football game versus a good team and won. I am still nervous about losing to a mediocre Mizzouri team and a bad Vandy team. Win the next 3 games and land a nice class and I might consider changing my mind. This season is far from over and UT always finds a way to let me down.
Thanks Debbie Downer
were-all-going-to-dieanyway-debbie-downer-imgflip-53713626.png

Its always something. We have an excuse for everything! After we beat them, Auburn sucked balls last year and Kentucky was the most overrated team in the world.

We still have 2 games left and some have 3, so it ain't over, but I might argue that part of the reason some teams aren't bowl eligible this year but were last year, is because they lost to us this year.
I would argue that this really only applies to MissSt. KY will probably finish bowl eligible and even if we beat them, Mizzou probably finishes bowl eligible. USCjr and Vandy were not going to a bowl whether they beat us or not.

I can see his point. I'm as optimistic as anyone (hence my name), and I DO think the Vols are trending upwards and Pruitt is the guy who will get us there.

But last year we beat two ranked teams. This year we lost two to teams we never should have lost to.

I guess what I'm seeing this year that I didnt see last year is consistent improvement. Last week was sloppy, but we were at the end of a 6 game tough stretch. If the Vols finish these last two games and make and win a bowl, then I could say that this season has truly been an improvement.

But if we bomb the next two and miss a bowl, then I'm going to fail to see how this year was any better than last, when we didnt lose to cupcakes and when we surprised Auburn on the road and Kentucky while they were ranked.

These last 2 games really will have a massive impact on the National Perception of our program. Maybe more so than the first two games had.

South Carolina is the only team you could say that for, although it's more likely that they'll finish with 4 wins and it won't matter.

Last year there were 3 teams not eligible for bowls. Ole Miss, Arkansas and Us.

This year, the only teams mathematically out are Arkansas and Vanderbilt. SC could make it, but its doubtful.

Right now
Kentucky is 4-5 including a loss to us, with Vandy, UT Martin and Louisville left. I think they make it.

MSU is 4-5 including a loss to us, with Alabama, Abeline Christian and Ole Miss, I think they make it.

Missouri is 5-4 with Florida, Us and Arkansas left. With or without a win against us, I think they make it.

Ole Miss is 4-6 with MSU and LSU. I don't see them making it.

Last year there were 3 non eligible and this year it looks like 3 definitely and 1 more (SC) probable.

So, although losing to us didn't, or may not have been as big of a deal as I thought, the number of bowl eligible teams this year compared to last year is ....1.

FWIW...South Carolina had Mississippi last year and Alabama this year.

Vanderbilt had Arkansas last year and LSU this year.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Winning out will not be enough-in order for us to be taken seriously by the national Media, and everyone else, we must beat serious teams-cupcakes do not count. Posting wins against LSU, BAMA, FL, would do it. Cupcake games get you to some kind of a bowl game (as there are so many bowls), but to be taken seriously, we need to be in the top 25 and stay in the top 25 all season-better yet win the SEC Championship-play for a NATY, that kind of thing. If we were ranked based on how great Old Smokey looked last SAT-we'd be #1-I really liked the Orange "Cape"!

Georgia, Florida, and Bama is the standard.
That a standard no coach in UT history has ever consistently maintained then. Even in years when we consistently whipped up on two the other one has always taken our lunch. We have only beaten all three of those teams in the same season once 1998. The interesting thing I noticed in doing research on this is we didn't regularly play all 3 teams annually until 92. There was a period in the 80's we didn't even play Georgia (we played tech instead) and in 89 we played Georgia instead of Florida. So that's a weird standard to set when it's only ever been done once and that was before a lot of posters on here were born.

Now saying beating at least one of them AND seriously contending for the SEC east is the standard makes sense because that's something UT has done historically. Being ranked top 20 at seasons end is another legit standard. Personally, the standard I set for our team is to go out and play hard and compete every week. That is a standard Pruitt is showing he is able to meet and holding that standard will lead to higher ones organically.

In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned Bo or provided his quote. I was just trying to provide some context for why I was asking the question, but most people got hung up on that and missed the question all together. Maybe next time I'll just create a poll. :)

I tried it again.

Sorry, I can't get past Bo Bounds.

It's like having Dan Quayle as the judge of a Spelling Bee.

Winning out will not be enough-in order for us to be taken seriously by the national Media, and everyone else, we must beat serious teams-cupcakes do not count. Posting wins against LSU, BAMA, FL, would do it. Cupcake games get you to some kind of a bowl game (as there are so many bowls), but to be taken seriously, we need to be in the top 25 and stay in the top 25 all season-better yet win the SEC Championship-play for a NATY, that kind of thing. If we were ranked based on how great Old Smokey looked last SAT-we'd be #1-I really liked the Orange "Cape"!
Who cares about the national media? 2 months ago nobody expected a league win. Now we have a chance to finish with 5 SEC wins. You eat an elephant one bite at a time. We have to beat the bottom and mid tier SEC teams consistently again before worrying about what the national media says.

Bo Bounds is the retarded brother of Outta Bounds

Bo spent about 8-10 years in Starkville Mississippi attempting to graduate from Mississippi State.

The only reason his ugly drunken frat boy sorry ugly no-good lazy in-breed balding ugly noise hair moron got out of 5th grade was because he got too big for his desk.

This is like UTK Special Ed starting a thread on CatsMenaPaws saying he don't like Mark Stoops.

Bo just mad because CJP kicked his Mississippi State booty this year.

Don't ever let dirty feet walk through your mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankenVol54
That's what Bo Bounds said this morning on his sports talk show in Jackson, MS. He's been anti-Pruitt for a while now, which isn't surprising because he regularly turns his nose up at guys who are less sophisticated than himself. It's also worth noting that he thinks Phillip Fulmer is incompetent.

I don't really care what he thinks, but it made me wonder what's it going to take for national media to recognize what most of us recognize? That Jeremy Pruitt has turned the corner and has the program headed toward the top-tier of the SEC.

Will winning out be enough or does he have to beat Florida and Georgia before the rest of the country take notice?

LOL! 1st nobody ask or gives a $h!t what Bo rounds thinks. 2nd Bo rounds can GTFO!

Miss State fans like to think that Cohen chose Moorhead over Pruitt. The fact is that Pruitt interviewed at Miss State and was the rumored frontrunner, but as soon as Fulmer called, he put his full and undivided attention into landing the UT job, and Cohen went ahead and hired Moorhead.

Not sure on that. Moorhead was hired a couple of days after Schiano Sunday (Currie was still the AD).

It doesn't change the fact that Moorhead was not a good hire...

Other than beating a ranked Auburn team last year, Pruitt has done 0 to give him credit of any magnitude to the national media. 2 losing seasons a loss the a bad CUSA team, and losses to our biggest rivals with an average margin in the uppers 20s (maybe even lower 30s).

It’d be a good start to stop getting blown out by every SEC team that is competing for an SEC championship.

Reactions: I40flyer

VN Store

Back