"I'm not buying Jeremy Pruitt even though they're on a nice little run."

The 2018 SEC was tougher. Just look at the number of bowl eligible last season compared to this year. Glad we're winning.
whether it has more to do with Pruitt being a good coach or our opponents being down is yet to be determined.
Its always something. We have an excuse for everything! After we beat them, Auburn sucked balls last year and Kentucky was the most overrated team in the world.

We still have 2 games left and some have 3, so it ain't over, but I might argue that part of the reason some teams aren't bowl eligible this year but were last year, is because they lost to us this year.

That's what Bo Bounds said this morning on his sports talk show in Jackson, MS. He's been anti-Pruitt for a while now, which isn't surprising because he regularly turns his nose up at guys who are less sophisticated than himself. It's also worth noting that he thinks Phillip Fulmer is incompetent.

I don't really care what he thinks, but it made me wonder what's it going to take for national media to recognize what most of us recognize? That Jeremy Pruitt has turned the corner and has the program headed toward the top-tier of the SEC.

Will winning out be enough or does he have to beat Florida and Georgia before the rest of the country take notice?
never heard of him but jackson ms ?? Who the F cares ? How this even thread material?

Reactions: IronMike
That's what Bo Bounds said this morning on his sports talk show in Jackson, MS. He's been anti-Pruitt for a while now, which isn't surprising because he regularly turns his nose up at guys who are less sophisticated than himself. It's also worth noting that he thinks Phillip Fulmer is incompetent.

I don't really care what he thinks, but it made me wonder what's it going to take for national media to recognize what most of us recognize? That Jeremy Pruitt has turned the corner and has the program headed toward the top-tier of the SEC.

Will winning out be enough or does he have to beat Florida and Georgia before the rest of the country take notice?

First problem is the dude is named Bo. Didn't know that what still a thing.....

If you want the media and coaches that matter's attention you start playing with the big boys on a regular basis and winning at least half of those games. That is when Tennessee is back. That is when people will have respect for the Orange and White again. Winning out will get zero attention; maybe a little if we win a bowl game against a ranked team.

We will get there, but that is a couple seasons away.

Reactions: tbones0711
That guy looks like one of those random dudes you find on Youtube who put up videos with thumbnails that show a big moment from last night's biggest games, but when you click on the video it's just them standing in front of their bedroom wall talking any and every damn stupid thing they can think to say while they try to get around to making something resembling a point. Sometimes to vary it up, they film themselves using their cell phone while driving -- but they still put up a thumbnail from the football game to trick you into clicking.

Reactions: CR-vol
most people do not realize that Pruitt is working with 63 or so scholly players...a far cry from the 85 allotted...he is doing more with less right now...let him catch up and I think we will be competing for East every year...

Reactions: OG.V83 and TnScooby

Well not caring what anybody thinks is a less bragged about Tennessee tradition. Especially if it is from a sports talk show in places like Jackson, MS. However you should have even lesser worries about national media recognition.

If Fulmer or Pruitt are worried about it or distracted by that, maybe they aren't that competent. Why was that worth noting? It amazes me at how many fan obsess about what "most of us recognize". I might jump on the sideboard of your bandwagon when they win championships again.

As to your final line, winning out won't be enough. They still lost to Georgia State and BYU. As to the "rest of the country taking notice"? Will that get us a discount on coffee at Waffle House? No? Then, why worry about it? Hell, I'd rather let the players do the talking and do things that leave no doubt. But not an area where we can do anything about it. So, I think I will just worry about things in my control, and worth my time and energy. That isn't it.

Its always something. We have an excuse for everything! After we beat them, Auburn sucked balls last year and Kentucky was the most overrated team in the world.

We still have 2 games left and some have 3, so it ain't over, but I might argue that part of the reason some teams aren't bowl eligible this year but were last year, is because they lost to us this year.
South Carolina is the only team you could say that for, although it's more likely that they'll finish with 4 wins and it won't matter.

Hey Bo

16gnae.jpg

most people do not realize that Pruitt is working with 63 or so scholly players...a far cry from the 85 allotted...he is doing more with less right now...let him catch up and I think we will be competing for East every year...
We've already had many discussions on this and the actual number is in the high 70s. Everyone has injured scholarship players.

Katch One had an entertainer named Mo' Mounds

So I heard.....?

Pruitt needs to win the November games first, which he has done so far this year. Beat uscjr ky mizz vandy.
Then he needs to at least compete with Florida Georgia and Bama, which he did 2/3 this year, then start winning 2-3 games every 4-5 years against those teams.
We won’t be back nationally until we win the East again imo.

Everyone here is too focused on "sophisticated Bo" - even the OP said he doesn't care about the guy in particular but rather is using him as an example. The OPs real question (a good one) is what does it take to convince people outside of the Vol community that the program is relevant again. Outside opinions are important for recruiting and for rankings, which are in many ways a beauty contest.

An 8 or 9 win season this year (achievable in hindsight) probably could have convinced outsiders we are relevant. A bowl win over a ranked team might do it. An early win against Oklahoma next year would do it. But, any relevance quickly fades away if we cannot beat one of FL, UGA, or Bama - that's the test.

I took the forget who said what but answer the root of the question route. I guess I got suckered in again..... lol
In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned Bo or provided his quote. I was just trying to provide some context for why I was asking the question, but most people got hung up on that and missed the question all together. Maybe next time I'll just create a poll. :)

Reactions: GoVols64
Don't think anybody can objectively argue with his statements just yet.

I can. If Bounds had said this immediately after the MSU game it would be hard to disagree with him, but he is saying it after UT has won 3 in a row and 4 of 5, including giving Bama a hard time at their place. If he had said he doesn't think that means UT "is back", I would also agree completely with him. But if the question is merely 'UT; buy or sell?' at this point in the season, then I am not sure how you could argue for selling right now. It might be better to ask that question after the season is completed, but he didn't, so based on the last 5 weeks, UT should not be a sell.

VN Store

Back