I'm no basketball expert but we looked like crap last night.

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
I guess when you can only make baskets underneath, that has a tendency to happen. Top 4 ? Not even a top 16 YET!

We lost to a top 5 Gonzaga team by single digits while playing against the refs and probably having our worst shooting night of the year.

No, you're not a basketball expert if you don't think we're a top 15 team.

I guess when you can only make baskets underneath, that has a tendency to happen. Top 4 ? Not even a top 16 YET!

Did you even watch the game?

One of the primary reasons they fell behind is because they can't hit baskets underneath. Must have missed ten or so layups

We lost to a top 5 Gonzaga team by single digits while playing against the refs and probably having our worst shooting night of the year.

No, you're not a basketball expert if you don't think we're a top 15 team.

I agree. Zags are a great team.
Tenn had a horrible shooting night. Refs sucked. On both sides really, but it seemed to be more biased against tennessee. They let alot of obvious fouls go, but called sissy crap

I don't know about biased, I just think our pressure led to more bad calls against us simply because we were playing such tight defense.

I've never seen such light fouls. It's tough not to lose your cool if you get called for every bit of contact on every play.

I don't know about biased, I just think our pressure led to more bad calls against us simply because we were playing such tight defense.

I've never seen such light fouls. It's tough not to lose your cool if you get called for every bit of contact on every play.

That's essentially what I meant. Just had trouble finding the right word.
Brian Williams gets more ticky-tack fouls called on him than any big man i've ever seen.
Chism also had some bogus calls. . .specifically when he blocked the dunk attempt by the Zag player. It appeared to be all ball. Refs just "assumed" it had to be a foul I guess.....
Tenn still had a chance to win and should have won. Good game to watch though

I agree. Zags are a great team.
Tenn had a horrible shooting night. Refs sucked. On both sides really, but it seemed to be more biased against tennessee. They let alot of obvious fouls go, but called sissy crap

We may have had a horrible shooting night, but the Zags had a GREAT shooting night. Look at the box scores from their OSU game and Maryland game. They were 6-22 and 5-16 for 3 respectively. Against us? 11-20.
Props to them for being able to knock em down when they count, but 11-20 - holy cow. We were 7-24.
I'll be interested to see if they can shoot lights out like that in our house.

Did you even watch the game?

One of the primary reasons they fell behind is because they can't hit baskets underneath. Must have missed ten or so layups
This has been a problem since BP arrived...even before..."hands of stone"Wingate thought the rim was a smoke ring!

Chism also had some bogus calls. . .specifically when he blocked the dunk attempt by the Zag player. It appeared to be all ball. Refs just "assumed" it had to be a foul I guess.....
Tenn still had a chance to win and should have won. Good game to watch though

I thought there were a lot of cheap calls too, but that was a foul, Wayne hit the guy's right hand.

I didn't see the game and so cannot comment on specifics, but I just wouldn't get all wired up about this. It was a decent score against a Top Ten team early in the season. No shame in that and hardly reason to hit the panic button just yet.

guys.. the refs were plain bad for everyone all tournament. bad calls were equal on both sides...

Daye got some really cheap ones especially in the 2nd half when he clean blocked someones layin attempt..

the double foul was simply a block on your guy.. was moving all over the place..

ticky tack crap all tournament, but it was bad for everyone

guys.. the refs were plain bad for everyone all tournament. bad calls were equal on both sides...

Daye got some really cheap ones especially in the 2nd half when he clean blocked someones layin attempt..

the double foul was simply a block on your guy.. was moving all over the place..

ticky tack crap all tournament, but it was bad for everyone

No one is disputing that. We are all wondering how incompetent the refs are to call that a double foul. Its one or the other. It realistically cannot be both. That's like me saying my solid white shirt that I am wearing is also solid blue.

Other than crappy officiating, it was a great game. Looking forward to jan 7 in TBA. Zags won't shoot 11-20 from 3-land. Props to the Zags on a great win.

I'm not disappointed with the loss.

I'm disappointed with the loss, but the primary reason we lost is that Gonzaga played better. Mainly, they shot the ball better. Gray was on fire. That kid can flat out drain. We don't have someone like that this year. Tatum will get hot, and so will Hopson, but they won't shoot with the consistency that Gray will.

With all the talk from Frascilla and Elmore and Gottleib about how long and tall Gonzaga was, we dominated the boards and were the more physical team. Gonzaga simply hit more outside shots, especially during critical runs.

I watched the Vols in all 3 games this past weekend and the best game was against Georgetown! The Vols didn't hit the baskets they should have-the close in's, layups or outside shots. They need to play a little more deliberate every now and then. Can we beat the Zags on the return trip to Knoxville on 7 Jan? Stay tuned! Are the Vols a top 10 team? This remains to be seen. The non-conference schedule isn't as easy as you think. I don't think the SEC will be as big a push over as some think either but I do think the Vols will win it but not by more than 2 or 3 games. How many games will the men's team win this season- 25, 27, 30 or 32? I think we had 35 last season if I'm not mistaken. I know it was more than 30. Better teams-Gonzaga, UConn?
GO VOLS!

Last edited:
Yeah the zags really lit it up from the 3 point line. We didn't have an answer for the zone D they were playing. We missed soooo many baskets in the paint. I was glad Tennessee fought back to make it a respectable game.

I watched the Vols in all 3 games this past weekend and the best game was against Georgetown! The Vols didn't hit the baskets they should have-the close in's, layups or outside shots. They need to play a little more deliberate every now and then. Can we beat the Zags on the return trip to Knoxville on 7 Jan? Stay tuned! Are the Vols a top 10 team? This remains to be seen. The non-conference schedule isn't as easy as you think. I don't think the SEC will be as big a push over as some think either but I do think the Vols will win it but not by more than 2 or 3 games. How many games will the men's team win this season- 25, 27, 30 or 32? I think we had 35 last season if I'm not mistaken. I know it was more than 30. Better teams-Gonzaga, UConn?
GO VOLS!

Anyone who thinks our non-conf schedule is easy is lacking sufficient oxygen to their brain.

We all need to remember that this is still a young team. The reason we're playing this tough of non-conference schedule is to get these guys some experience, even if some of it will come the hard way. Tennessee will be better by the end of the year, and I think we'll see a dangerous Vols team come time for the NCAA tournament.

We all need to remember that this is still a young team. The reason we're playing this tough of non-conference schedule is to get these guys some experience, even if some of it will come the hard way. Tennessee will be better by the end of the year, and I think we'll see a dangerous Vols team come time for the NCAA tournament.

Get your Guns:rock:

I'm disappointed with the loss, but the primary reason we lost is that Gonzaga played better. Mainly, they shot the ball better. Gray was on fire. That kid can flat out drain. We don't have someone like that this year. Tatum will get hot, and so will Hopson, but they won't shoot with the consistency that Gray will.

With all the talk from Frascilla and Elmore and Gottleib about how long and tall Gonzaga was, we dominated the boards and were the more physical team. Gonzaga simply hit more outside shots, especially during critical runs.
he was 3/18 entering last night.

this earns a ridiculous post award of some sort, just don't know which yet. Probably a top 16 at this point in the season.

We may have had a horrible shooting night, but the Zags had a GREAT shooting night. Look at the box scores from their OSU game and Maryland game. They were 6-22 and 5-16 for 3 respectively. Against us? 11-20.
Props to them for being able to knock em down when they count, but 11-20 - holy cow. We were 7-24.
I'll be interested to see if they can shoot lights out like that in our house.

I don't recall them shooting a contested 3 pointer the whole game. If we can't defend the perimeter better we will have several teams make wide open shots like they did.

I don't recall them shooting a contested 3 pointer the whole game. If we can't defend the perimeter better we will have several teams make wide open shots like they did.
exactly. Everyone will have "uncanny" shooting nights against us.

Our FG% defense has been atrocious since the day Pearl walked onto UT.

VN Store

Back