If we get “Will Grier’d“ in the upcoming years

Peyton manning could have gone pro but played an entire season risking injury.

Played in a bowl game with an injury as well.

OH Dear...………….I'm SORRY...………………….I take back every thing I said...………………...IF Peyton did it...………..I know I'm ready to jump off that Bridge....
Peyton also didn't need any money. His Family was well taken of for life and he had a very hefty insurance policy.
I must have lost my WWPD Bracelet.

ea9669f88447b3547fe70309827ad1e0.jpg

My thought is any player that does that lets the team down and Grier certainly let them down because they score a lot more than 18 against Syracuse. Players play all season for the chance to win a bowl game someone abandoning you I think is inappropriate.

Reactions: AM64 and papatomany
I don't refer to any player as a VFL because I despise the term. Too much of a holdover from the failed Dooley experiment that really cemented our decade (and counting) of misery. So, no.

If you had a winning Poweball ticket, and we’re driving to cash it in, would you place it on the dash and roll down a window?

He got suspended because a positive drug test I thought?

Dexter Lawrence could have gone pro after last season and was projected as a potential first rounder. He came back to play this year out of a sense of commitment to his team. Kind of the opposite of the uninformed point you were trying to make.

Holy cow...do you people read the rest of the posts in this thread? That was established in several posts under my post. I stated that I knew several had been suspended but I wasn't aware he was one of them. I just knew he wasn't playing and on the sideline.

It's becoming an issue. When your star players opt out of a bowl game and very likely costs your team any chance it had of winning that game, why would fans pay good money to travel to that game? When are players going to start shutting it down before the end of the season because they are playing in meaningless games?
Good point. One salutary effect of players sitting out meaningless bowl games is that the number of meaningless bowl games may start to decrease. That would be good news.

Players play all season for the chance to win a bowl game someone abandoning you I think is inappropriate.

You need to talk to some or more players. It depends - Is the Bowl Game in Shreveport or New Orleans. Do I get a new iPhone or a Joggin Suit.
That is also why it is hard to predict winners in the lesser bowl games. Some teams.....come in and it IS a big deal...……..some mail it in and get beat.
Some look forward to more practice and an opportunity to get more PT, others want time off to rest and heal!
I can GAURANTEE you this...………….all TOP players on any team want to get drafted, make some coin and play in the NFL. If the Bowl Game will assist in that, they want it. IF not......they either pass or lay down in the game. Which is worse??

If they have a chance to play in the NFL then sit . There is no point in getting injured to play in a meaningless game

When you sign up to take the free education, that deal includes 'Giving Your All for Tennessee' in the Bowl Games.

Not a VFL.
What you say is part of "a perfect world". I would bet you maybe 3 out of ten recruits gave a dam- about their education. They are playing football!!! All going pro!!! Didn't you know?? This is just an audition for the pros to see how good they are. At least that's what they think.. UNTIL----

Interesting question, one I've thought about during this bowl season with what seems to be more folks sitting out due to moving into the next phase. I get it and understand the thought process behind the kids not wanting to take a chance of getting hurt. But really, it doesn't seem like the right thing to do. They made a commitment to the team, along with that comes an obligation, they should see it through....I guess that's where I land on the subject.

Apparently commitments and obligations aren't high priorities these days. I'm glad I'm from a time and place where they were considered important and something we grew up with.

I understand why they do this, because playing in an ultimately meaningless bowl game gives you a chance at a bad injury that could either hamper your ability in the combine and pro day, or worse... It is frustrating, but if it's not for a national championship game or something else highly meaningful, I am okay with it because if I was in their shoes, a "nothing to gain and everything to lose" should be avoided.

Unless you are one of the elite, what were you playing for to began with, surely not for the love of the game or pride of winning for a team and school. So tell me why the hel-play at all. ( on second thought a guy could be playing for the opportunity to get a good education)

Reactions: papatomany
Not sure why people are having such a hard time grasping a player not playing in a pointless final game before he goes pro, but are perfectly fine with players foregoing their senior, or even junior year if red-shirted, to go to the NFL.

They skipped out on entire seasons. Why not give them some crap while you're at it?

For meaningless games

Its no different than alligator-arming a ball over the middle or stepping out of bounds to avoid contact..its a business decision

For playoff games, you better play since scouts may question your desire if you sit...

Hel-! All games are meaningless in the whole scheme of things. When the two things you mention happen, many "set out" til they see the light.
If it is a business decision, then they should have gone from high school straight to "making money", that's a business decision.

Reactions: papatomany
Honestly if it's a meaningless bowl game I could care less.
Exactly then at least get an idea of who is next up on deck for next season. But if its a major bowl Id wanna see everyone put it on the line. That being said if it were my kid projected a first or second round draft slot and the pro teams mentioned stock freefalling if injured. I would leave it up to my kid but id also make sure they know the risk and its His decision whether to chance his future for 1 more or even 2 if playoffs were involved. But if that were the case id let my son know that if he chooses to sitout the game then he didnt hold up his agreement for that season. So i would say to payback that semesters scholarship since he didnt honor it fully.

Selfish is schools making huge chunks of money off players while forbidding players to capitalize in any shape or form. Schools protect their right to monetize players. Turnabout is fair play. So a player should be free to protect his future earning potential by sitting out a bowl game that's basically meaningless. An injury jeopardizing said player's ability to have a post-college career deserves more than an, "I very sorry. Best of luck going forward" and all that jazz. Either offer some of that money you got from his playing for your institution or shut up. Or have self-righteous and judgmental fans pool their money to help him out until he finds alternative employment. Or again, shut up.

BS. Schools are academic institutions - a place where you go to learn the essentials that you will use in life. Most of us paid our way; in my case I traded three years in the Army ('67 - '70) and then used the GI Bill to finish my BS and MS in engineering. Personally, I'm not even sure I agree with the concept of athletic scholarships. You go to school for an education; if you want to play sports, fine. Potential NFL athletes are adequately compensated by universities; they get more hands on training and career development that any other student to make them marketable - the coaching, the body building, the facilities, the opportunity to use and showcase their skills just for starters.

The best solution would be for the NFL to step up and start a minor league, and leave universities to education and amateur sports.

BS. Schools are academic institutions - a place where you go to learn the essentials that you will use in life. Most of us paid our way; in my case I traded three years in the Army ('67 - '70) and then used the GI Bill to finish my BS and MS in engineering. Personally, I'm not even sure I agree with the concept of athletic scholarships. You go to school for an education; if you want to play sports, fine. Potential NFL athletes are adequately compensated by universities; they get more hands on training and career development that any other student to make them marketable - the coaching, the body building, the facilities, the opportunity to use and showcase their skills just for starters.

The best solution would be for the NFL to step up and start a minor league, and leave universities to education and amateur sports.

College football makes a ton of money for a bunch of people. Why would they want to give that up, and why would the NFL want to spend money on the same when colleges are putting out highly trained players ready for the NFL?

Not sure why people are having such a hard time grasping a player not playing in a pointless final game before he goes pro, but are perfectly fine with players foregoing their senior, or even junior year if red-shirted, to go to the NFL.

They skipped out on entire seasons. Why not give them some crap while you're at it?

As far as I'm concerned, athletic scholarships (if they should even exist) should be for four years. If the "student" leaves early, he has to pay back the scholarship, it counts against the school's graduation record, AND the school can't refill the scholarship for the remained of the four years. Then perhaps a lot of schools wouldn't be interested in 5 star recruits who would stick around for the minimal period and waste an educational slot for a route to the NFL.

As far as I'm concerned, athletic scholarships (if they should even exist) should be for four years. If the "student" leaves early, he has to pay back the scholarship, it counts against the school's graduation record, AND the school can't refill the scholarship for the remained of the four years. Then perhaps a lot of schools wouldn't be interested in 5 star recruits who would stick around for the minimal period and waste an educational slot for a route to the NFL.
Who would be on board for such rules? Not players, coaches, or anyone in the Power 5.

Reactions: k-town_king
College football makes a ton of money for a bunch of people. Why would they want to give that up, and why would the NFL want to spend money on the same when colleges are putting out highly trained players ready for the NFL?

Trust me, I get the monetary side of things, and why nothing is likely to change. The point is that amateur athletes shouldn't be paid - that's the difference between amateur and pro. When you get right down to it, amateur athletes at major universities are well compensated, and the lesser universities can't compete. When the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, it completely destroys the concept of amateurism.

I'm sure graduate assistants are paid more today than when I was at UT, but my graduate assistantship certainly was no where near the "cost of attendance" that UT pays athletes. All that's without even including lavish meals for athletes.

They have a minor league...…………………..its called the SEC!!

It's different. If you get a tooth pulled in January, your mouth adjusts and you can eat by September, but it's not so easy the day after. Plus the team has another scholarship to offer to backfill for the next season. I won't hold if over someone's head to leave early. Actually don't really care if they leave for the bowl game either. Just saying, from a TEAM standpoint, it's different. There's no I in team.. yeah right..I_in_team.jpg.jpeg

VN Store

Back