If we get “Will Grier’d“ in the upcoming years

Basically if we have a star player sit out the bowl game, and it ends up costing us the game, how we will view that player going forward? Will we still refer to them as “VFL”? Does it depend on the extent of the bowl?

Just curious as to how the masses of VN will feel, because I’m sure it’s going to happen to us at some point.

If a player is not bought into playing as hard as possible in the game, be better for him and team for him to not play. Kid can't have any doubts about going all out in the game. You don't want a player out there like that.

Most bowl games (not playoff games) have many kids playing that would rather be home for Christmas. In general, players do not care for bowl games and all that extra practice. Would much prefer staying home.

Those are my thoughts

Don’t expect me to pay to show up for the bowl game then. Not pointing at any one comment in this thread but this is what sickens me with sports and what they have become all the way down to the college level now. To so many it is not the love of the game but money. Saw a piece today on the Texas QB who lost his dad and they were lifelong Texas fans. I bet you he would not sit out a bowl game. He had instilled in him not only a love for the game but the Longhorns. This is what is missing from the guys sitting out and the it’s a business comments from recruits. Not saying they are wrong. It is a business. However, that concept is what is wrong with what sports on the college level have become.

I'm curious, if you stopped getting paid, would you keep going to work?

Basically if we have a star player sit out the bowl game, and it ends up costing us the game, how we will view that player going forward? Will we still refer to them as “VFL”? Does it depend on the extent of the bowl?

Just curious as to how the masses of VN will feel, because I’m sure it’s going to happen to us at some point.

It's becoming an issue. When your star players opt out of a bowl game and very likely costs your team any chance it had of winning that game, why would fans pay good money to travel to that game? When are players going to start shutting it down before the end of the season because they are playing in meaningless games?

This will come into play in the playoff games soon enough. We have coaches taking jobs only to jump ship in two days for a " dream job". Players transfer because they aren't the starter with immediate eligibility, moms sick. Players sitting out games. Targeting calls left and right. Fair catch anywhere inside the 25, ball then placed at the 25...I could go on. The game has changed...meh

I understand why they do this, because playing in an ultimately meaningless bowl game gives you a chance at a bad injury that could either hamper your ability in the combine and pro day, or worse... It is frustrating, but if it's not for a national championship game or something else highly meaningful, I am okay with it because if I was in their shoes, a "nothing to gain and everything to lose" should be avoided.
The Clemson stud DT wasn't missing a meaningless bowl game. I would hope if Clemson beats Bama(not likely) they don't give him a championship ring.

When you sign up to take the free education, that deal includes 'Giving Your All for Tennessee' in the Bowl Games.

Not a VFL.
Must be a Maxim I missed. Nice nostalgic take but not realistic. If we start dogging players about looking out for their multi-million dollar contracts we won't have any to dog.

Reactions: Wolfeman_Vol
At least one UGA player has opted to sit out the game today, according to ESPN.

Mora is probably right in some respects, I’d bet we see a union prior to players getting a salary at some point

It's a matter of time before players start sitting out the SEC Championship. As soon as the team reaches midseason they will start sitting if there're out of the playoff.

Couldn't care less about these guys NFL careers. They sign to play here, play all the games. Injuries are part of the game. Go early if you need to but play all the games.
Are you pleased you people who follow you say they don't care about your career, just entertain them??

I would not like a player sitting out BUT if we had a very capable back up, it would soften the blow.
For instance, Chandler sat out bowl,game and Jordan & Banks filled in. However, if Mecham sat out bowl game and Barney Vezey was his replacement and it hurt the team, then yes, I would be butt hurt.
Haha...would that be Burney’s Twin brother....lol...I guess not their last name is spelled differently 🤔🤔

Risk millions of dollars or play in some meaningless game to suit random fan? Easy choice imo unless random fan will make up the difference if he gets hurt.

Judging a guy on one game when they've given 3-5 strong years to a program is ridiculous
Why play in the other meaningless games all season? Why play in any games?

As a fan I don’t like it. For example if Dobbs had sat out and I was denied seeing him play in Orange one last time I would have been very disappointed.

As a rational person I totally get it and agree with it for potential 1st and even 2nd rounders. It’s not much different than forgoing senior season. Life is too short to risk millions of dollars on a game that essentially amounts to bragging rights. Just another way the playoffs are ultimately damaging to college football.

Reactions: JacketVol
Are you pleased you people who follow you say they don't care about your career, just entertain them??

This is what’s wrong. Suppose to love to play and play in high school then get the privilege to play in college. So many kids don’t get that opportunity. Then it should be business in the NFL. However, TV money ect has ruined the college game IF it is about the money to make and the entertainment only factor for followers of the sport. Is it for the love of the game or the love of money or entertainment for the players and fans. This kind of stuff with coaches, players and administrators makes you want to pull financial and other support. It’s nothing to do with education for so many of these kids. Most will have a rude awakening later in life when like most NFL players, the money is gone.

So college players are getting paid. Apples to oranges. Players don’t get any LESS money for playing or not.

A first round NFL pick is guaranteed a minimum of 10 million+ dollars next season with higher picks being guaranteed as much as 30 million. You're asking someone to potentially give up that payday to help their 3 loss team win a meaningless game.

I can't blame anyone for not wanting to even remotely risk that. I'd consider hiring an armored truck to take me to lottery hq if I had a big winning lottery ticket. These guys basically have a winning lottery ticket.

VN Store

Back