If we get “Will Grier’d“ in the upcoming years

Why play in the other meaningless games all season? Why play in any games?
They shouldn't have to but those are the rules they're allowed to make. Coaches take players out all the time to rest them and avoid injury. Players should have the same control over their future

Reactions: MaTaLa

Honestly that is a good question. Although I think NFL teams would look at a player that sat out half a season a little different than one last game of their college career.

Plus the regular season is part of the audition tape. Guys that are 1st round prospects after a sophomore season are rare. Maybe 1 or 2 a year at most.

Basically if we have a star player sit out the bowl game, and it ends up costing us the game, how we will view that player going forward? Will we still refer to them as “VFL”? Does it depend on the extent of the bowl?

Just curious as to how the masses of VN will feel, because I’m sure it’s going to happen to us at some point.
"VFRS" (Vol for Regular Season)

I will say that I can empathize for those who opt out of meaningless BS Cheez-It-type bowls. They are only created in an attempt to generate revenue for conferences and venues (and teams, I suppose.) But when it comes to the "real" bowls, I want to see the team that qualified for the bowl play in the bowl.

The Count (of course) speculated if people who feel like this ever take sick leave when they're not sick. Yes, I have done so when there's nothing major going on that I can't clear off the day that I return. I work sick during times like fiscal year closeout and other deadlines. IMO FWIW TWSS MPH BBQ ETC

Don’t expect me to pay to show up for the bowl game then. Not pointing at any one comment in this thread but this is what sickens me with sports and what they have become all the way down to the college level now. To so many it is not the love of the game but money. Saw a piece today on the Texas QB who lost his dad and they were lifelong Texas fans. I bet you he would not sit out a bowl game. He had instilled in him not only a love for the game but the Longhorns. This is what is missing from the guys sitting out and the it’s a business comments from recruits. Not saying they are wrong. It is a business. However, that concept is what is wrong with what sports on the college level have become.

It's a meaningless bowl game thats sole purpose is to make the corporation and the participating college money. It's no different than professional players taking games off in preseason or when they got playoffs clenched except they actually get paid millions.

Why don’t we ask Jaylon Smith who almost lost his career and chance at millions (and did lose millions) because he played in a meaningless bowl game.

Maybe if the NCAA correctly paid these players what they are worth this wouldn’t be an issue. But they don’t. So yes you should sit out. Coaches get 5 digit incentives if they win a bowl game. Players get maybe $1,000 worth of swag. How the hell is that fair?

Yea, I don't really have a strong opinion either way. I wish they would just play the damn games like they should, but I totally understand and not sure I wouldn't do the same.

I won't argue it.

Reactions: jhen713
If a player isn’t willing to give 100% for any game, my preference would be they sit out. Maybe someday, we’ll have depth like Alabama or Clemson that players will understand and respect this.

I don't fault them at all for sitting out a meaningless game. If you're good enough to get drafted, do it. That's without even considering some of these players' family situations. They might have a family member with expensive medical treatments or in an assisted living facility. Maybe they just grew up poor and will have the ability to move their parents/siblings to a better living environment.
Playing in the NFL is hard enough. Getting drafted early is significant. These kids goals when they went to college was probably to go to the NFL. It isn't worth jeopardizing their career for a pointless final game.

It's coming quicker than you think.
I raised my boys to never quit on their teams. Love your teammates and always give your all. That being said I would still tell them to not risk an NFL career in a crap bowl in their senior year. Does that make me a hypocrite ?? Yes I know it does, but the chance to make millions next year is too much to risk. The love of money is the root of all evil. It never came to that because they weren’t that good. Lol

Yea, I don't really have a strong opinion either way. I wish they would just play the damn games like they should, but I totally understand and not sure I wouldn't do the same.

I won't argue it.
Well said.

This is what’s wrong. Suppose to love to play and play in high school then get the privilege to play in college. So many kids don’t get that opportunity. Then it should be business in the NFL. However, TV money ect has ruined the college game IF it is about the money to make and the entertainment only factor for followers of the sport. Is it for the love of the game or the love of money or entertainment for the players and fans. This kind of stuff with coaches, players and administrators makes you want to pull financial and other support. It’s nothing to do with education for so many of these kids. Most will have a rude awakening later in life when like most NFL players, the money is gone.

This is a different time for football. Bowl games just don't mean as much anymore to them. I know we fans would be ecstatic to see UT in one, but I kinda agree with some of the posters here. Unless a team is in the playoff, a bowl game probably feels like no more than a meaningless scrimmage that takes up the kids' time and risks injury for really no perceived gains. I would imagine most programs lose money going to a medium or lower bowl. To me, we fans are getting what we wanted without realizing the consequences - a playoff that has made bowl games a waste of time and money. I think you either expand the playoffs to 16 teams and reduce the number of bowls down to 16 - 20, or you get rid of the playoff system and go back to pre BCS system in an effort to re-energize bowl games.

Basically if we have a star player sit out the bowl game, and it ends up costing us the game, how we will view that player going forward? Will we still refer to them as “VFL”? Does it depend on the extent of the bowl?

Just curious as to how the masses of VN will feel, because I’m sure it’s going to happen to us at some point.
When Coaches are prevented by rule from taking a new job or leaving before their teams are done for the year then we can address the players sitting. As long as a player has a life changing opportunity to make millions coming from nothing I don't blame them a bit for sitting out to avoid a catastrophic injury. What's the difference between a Coordinator bailing to take a HC job and setting his family up for life and a player going from free books, food, education etc to making millions.

It's a meaningless bowl game thats sole purpose is to make the corporation and the participating college money. It's no different than professional players taking games off in preseason or when they got playoffs clenched except they actually get paid millions.

I agree with the corporate profit, but would substitute participating college with city hosting the game as to who makes money. I think most programs either lose money or at best break even participating in a bowl.

VN Store

Back