If UT had to give up a tradition, which one?

Well ask me a couple years ago, I’d have said:
“Overpaying unqualified head football coaches”

But at the moment it seems we’ve already stopped that tradition. So I’ll go with the ‘Wooo’. Always hated it. Still do.

Reactions: m1al
Vol Walk, I've just personally never found it interesting.

But a kid comes to Tennessee and does Vol Walk - can you imagine the feeling ? Recruits come and make that walk - would bet some have been sold after walking through that mass of people.

You don't find interesting - simple - don't go. And to answer so many others - I will WOO until the day I die..........and maybe one time after at the pearly gates :)

How the hell did someone connect those dots that Nebraska is having to give that up?
It's simple, really.

Every single weather phenomenon is evidence global warming will destroy humanity in 12 years.

Every single case of a person getting sick is evidence that mankind faces an existential medical crisis, pandemic, plague, or catastrophe.

Every disagreement of any type between people of different skin color is evidence that America is irredeemably racist.

Every tragedy involving a lunatic with a gun is proof that none outside the military and police should have access to firearms.

And every supply chain shortage (the media are thrilled with this new term they've just learned, "supply chain," and weave it into any story they can), every supply chain shortage that can be imagined is a direct result of either (a) covid, (b) climate change, or (c) Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Very simple math our journalists follow these days.

But a kid comes to Tennessee and does Vol Walk - can you imagine the feeling ? Recruits come and make that walk - would bet some have been sold after walking through that mass of people.

You don't find interesting - simple - don't go. And to answer so many others - I will WOO until the day I die..........and maybe one time after at the pearly gates :)

I mean, I don't...the question was name a tradition you wouldn't mind seeing dropped. I've been a Vol fan essentially my entire life, and the Vol Walk has contributed exactly 0% to that. Sorry you don't like my opinion?

For the record, I don't recall any commit ever mentioning the Vol Walk as a primary reason for choosing UT. I honestly don't even recall it ever being mentioned by a recruit period though I could probably be proven wrong on that one.

Reactions: EasternVol
Yes the woo. You serious about Nebraska? How stupid of a society. So we can never use red again?
It is actually nothing to do with the color red.

It is rather that helium, despite being the 2nd-most abundant element in the universe, is rare on earth. And becoming more rare as demand has over the past few decades outrun available supply sources.

Earth-bound helium comes mostly from the same pockets underground where we find natural gas. Russia is a major player in the worldwide natural gas market. With the West boycotting Russian products, the worldwide demand is even MORE out of sync with other available sources. So the gas is becoming really expensive to buy, and has far more important uses than to fill up balloons to be released at football games. Things like medical procedures and equipment, production of various technologies, etc.

So Nebraska gave up the balloon tradition to save helium for more important stuff.

It's actually a smart move on their part, even if it means the loss of one of their lesser traditions.

It is actually nothing to do with the color red.

It is rather that helium, despite being the 2nd-most abundant element in the universe, is rare on earth. And becoming more rare as demand has over the past few decades outrun available supply sources.

It comes mostly from the same pockets underground where we find natural gas. Russia is a major player in the worldwide natural gas market. With the West boycotting Russian products, the worldwide demand is even MORE out of sync with other available sources. So the gas is becoming really expensive to buy, and has far more important uses than to fill up balloons to be released at football games. Things like medical procedures and equipment, production of various technologies, etc.

So Nebraska gave up the balloon tradition to save helium for more important stuff.

It's actually a smart move on their part, even if it means the loss of one of their lesser traditions.

I'm actually wondering now if places like Party City will have to give up helium balloons due to this.

Oh, no. I didn't realize Russia was a big helium manufacturer
Yeah. And in my answer at post #138 or so, I didn't even mention other considerations that contributed to Nebraska's decision.

For instance, there has been a low-grade environmental group denunciation of balloon releases for decades. The complaint is that the balloons rise high in the air, expand, and eventually pop. Then the helium escapes (eventually into space, lost forever from our perspective) while the latex rubber falls back to earth. Where it settles in streams and lakes, or on farm fields, or in the canopy of forests, there to remain as a hazard to animals and a contaminant in the soil for months or years.

Anyway, Nebraska (and everyone else who regularly release large numbers of balloons) have been getting a ration of grief from the environmental groups over this. Never enough on its own to force an abandonment of the tradition. But just another small weight, another contributing factor, that helped make their decision as the price of helium is expected to continue to rocket up.

It never seems to be just one thing; always a compound of factors that brings about the end of traditions.

We should give up the tradition of calling the women's teams "Lady Vols." The term is antiquated now--and the LV logo is VERY old and outdated, and looks it.

Lots of colleges/universities used to call their women's teams "Lady INSERT SCHOOL NICKNAME." They've ALL dropped the term and just call their women's teams by the school nickname--all except us. The former "Lady Razorbacks" are now just the Razorbacks--as it should be, as, last I checked, the men and women all attend and play for the same university. We cling to Lady Vols because it's associated with the Pat Summitt era, and the diehards apparently fear that we'll all forget her if we drop the term. That's silly. There are numerous ways to remember PS, and we do most of them--starting with a statute of her outside Thompson-Boling. If PS were alive, she'd probably be the first to say, it's time to retire the LV name and logo. It's not 1980 anymore.

You do realize this was done between 2015 and 2018. Was NOT a popular thing among the LV faithful

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
We should give up the tradition of calling the women's teams "Lady Vols." The term is antiquated now--and the LV logo is VERY old and outdated, and looks it.

Lots of colleges/universities used to call their women's teams "Lady INSERT SCHOOL NICKNAME." They've ALL dropped the term and just call their women's teams by the school nickname--all except us. The former "Lady Razorbacks" are now just the Razorbacks--as it should be, as, last I checked, the men and women all attend and play for the same university. We cling to Lady Vols because it's associated with the Pat Summitt era, and the diehards apparently fear that we'll all forget her if we drop the term. That's silly. There are numerous ways to remember PS, and we do most of them--starting with a statute of her outside Thompson-Boling. If PS were alive, she'd probably be the first to say, it's time to retire the LV name and logo. It's not 1980 anymore.
No it’s because the lady vols logo is iconic and it would be STUPID to drop it.

VN Store

Back