If UT had to give up a tradition, which one?

Ummmm...you mean get rid of one specific aspect of the song as it sang or played, or the whole song?

Unless they could come up with a rock n roll or rap version, get rid of all of it. I cringe when I hear it, and my blues/oldies band has to play it every time we gig. Nauseating!

That being said, I've sang it many times, and sang it joyfully inside of neyland, but I'm afraid it furthers the nation's stereotypes of my state and beloved Vols being redneck barefoot shtstompers.

Last edited:
I’d get rid of the “Vol Walk.”
everybody does something similar…….

Y’all crazy lol, I just can’t really imagine getting rid of any just one of those for any reason or hypothetically. I’m sorry, there is softy’s and honestly folks now couldn’t survive the early 2000s and 90s 80s, hell, all the way back to the 40s and the days of having thick skin is gone but I just couldn’t imagine any Tn Tradition being removed while I’m breathing and wearing Orange . Fun question tho.

The hardest thing for me is something we actually lost, and that's John Ward. I grew up in Memphis in the late 1960's and early 70's, and my earliest memory of Tennessee football was listening to John Ward on the radio. My first real game was the '71 Liberty Bowl against Arkansas. Ward had such a profound effect on me. As a kid, I'd pretend to be Condredge Holloway throwing the ball. I'd throw it up in the air and then pretend to be Larry Seviers catching and running for a TD. As I did this, I'd also pretend to be John Ward calling the play.
When I finally got to Knoxville and saw the band play Rocky Top for the first time, I could barely hold back the tears. But it was John Ward that made me a Vol.

Reactions: MAD and IndianaVol
Unless they could come up with a rock n roll or rap version, get rid of all of it. I cringe when I hear it, and my blues/oldies band has to play it every time we gig. Nauseating!

That being said, I've sang it many times, and sang it joyfully inside of neyland, but I'm afraid it furthers the nation's stereotypes of my state and beloved Vols being redneck barefoot shtstompers.
Fair enough !!!
I agree with a couple of things you state - one being I too think it's over used, especially during games. Could we limit it to say after point after TD and perhaps start of each quarter?

I just feel the band is playing it almost constantly.

On the flip side, I miss "Pay these prices and please PAY NO MORE." I know it went away when Denton passed (RIP), but that takes me back to my childhood and earliest memories in Neyland. They played a recording at the first game after his passing, but I haven't heard it again. Really miss that.

Reactions: Jravol78
It's simple, really.

Every single weather phenomenon is evidence global warming will destroy humanity in 12 years.

Every single case of a person getting sick is evidence that mankind faces an existential medical crisis, pandemic, plague, or catastrophe.

Every disagreement of any type between people of different skin color is evidence that America is irredeemably racist.

Every tragedy involving a lunatic with a gun is proof that none outside the military and police should have access to firearms.

And every supply chain shortage (the media are thrilled with this new term they've just learned, "supply chain," and weave it into any story they can), every supply chain shortage that can be imagined is a direct result of either (a) covid, (b) climate change, or (c) Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Very simple math our journalists follow these days.
The post is about Vol traditions. Not lame ass, liberal logic!

How the hell did someone connect those dots that Nebraska is having to give that up?

The headline is misleading. They're not suspending the "tradition", they are just not doing it this year because they can't get access to enough helium for the balloons. Seriously.

Doesn't make for as catchy a headline though

Helium supply chain issues / shortage, nothing to do with the color or anything. Plus, they factored in the environmental impact of releasing 100k+ balloons into the surrounding area.
So what's the environmental issue? Does all that helium make the local chipmunks talk like chipmunks?

Last edited:
Reactions: IndianaVol

VN Store

Back