I was in line at GameStop for the PS5 with DJ Henderson. Here’s what i learned.

the very essence of the "armchair coach"

You could certainly say that; however I didn’t tell anyone “what” to believe or to think.

I was saying to judge by what “you” see and what “you” know......not by “opinion.”

I then made simple logical statements based on what the OP had stated.....that “if your losing anyway” why not “try” something different.

I’m confident you are confused as to what an “arm chair coach” is.........that would be me telling or proclaiming what the coach “should” do.

Instead “I” said to judge by what you see. And I said simply “try something else.”

But hey.....,keep trying.

I say there needs to be a poll made to see who really thinks that JG is a genius To be honest, I think JG sucks just as bad in practice just like he does in games. Areal coach would not waste his time with players who are not buying in. Especially when you are not winning.

Reactions: 08Vol and hexnut
Seems like JP knows the pressure is on to win now and is going with the guys that should be able to get it done even though they can’t.

If JP would have moved on from JG at QB to start the year and kept him if he would stay as backup as needed, I’m guessing half the folks that are ready to fire him would still be in the wait and see mode. JP hasn’t done that and has earned all the criticism he has gotten no matter what would have changed. We are 2-4 BM or HB could have done that as long as they could stay healthy and been available to practice. With or without practice I’m ready to see what the other QBs can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 08Vol
Seems like JP knows the pressure is on to win now and is going with the guys that should be able to get it done even though they can’t.

If JP would have moved on from JG at QB to start the year and kept him if he would stay as backup as needed, I’m guessing half the folks that are ready to fire him would still be in the wait and see mode. JP hasn’t done that and has earned all the criticism he has gotten no matter what would have changed. We are 2-4 BM or HB could have done that as long as they could stay healthy and been available to practice. With or without practice I’m ready to see what the other QBs can do.
I doubt it. If you think the hysterics would be any different, you don't know our cast of characters here. Only the names would be changed. Anything less than good this year was not going to cut it.
The fact Pruitt has his extension means he has the time to turn it around. We can hate it, but he is staying. My personal goodwill toward him is running out due to the QB situation. I prefer to risk it with a fresh horse, rather than the gelding.

We could end our wandering with one hire but they don't actually care about winning.

Attachments

• B1D09752-CD57-46D5-8546-A2032303760C.jpeg
    B1D09752-CD57-46D5-8546-A2032303760C.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1
I doubt it. If you think the hysterics would be any different, you don't know our cast of characters here. Only the names would be changed. Anything less than good this year was not going to cut it.
The fact Pruitt has his extension means he has the time to turn it around. We can hate it, but he is staying. My personal goodwill toward him is running out due to the QB situation. I prefer to risk it with a fresh horse, rather than the gelding.

Maybe 1/2 is being generous, but sticking with JG is as confusing as not kicking the FG. Do you remember when Fulmer didn’t kick the FG against Georgia? Or Jones not going for 2 against Florida.

It’s like these guys were trying to be seconded guessed. Sometimes the it’s the obvious choice for obvious reasons.

he said pruitt is smart, and the coaches are good. the older players, for whatever reason, just don’t listen to him when it comes game time. he said guarantano is a genius, and he has everything it takes... in practice. he just loses everything when the lights come on. he doesn’t know why.
he said jennings was crazy, but he knew how to pull the team together. the team doesn’t have that anymore. but overall, he said he thinks pruitt can get it done when the bad apples are gone.

he’s working at amazon in spartanburg, SC where he grew up, also where i grew up. he’s a cool guy. y’all don’t have to believe me, but everything i said here is true.
interesting I hope he’s right

he said pruitt is smart, and the coaches are good. the older players, for whatever reason, just don’t listen to him when it comes game time. he said guarantano is a genius, and he has everything it takes... in practice. he just loses everything when the lights come on. he doesn’t know why.
he said jennings was crazy, but he knew how to pull the team together. the team doesn’t have that anymore. but overall, he said he thinks pruitt can get it done when the bad apples are gone.

he’s working at amazon in spartanburg, SC where he grew up, also where i grew up. he’s a cool guy. y’all don’t have to believe me, but everything i said here is true.
I dont. Nor do I care. Me finding out inside info on ut is like me finding our how sears ran their operations.

Thanks for posting something that actually makes sense. I so badly want JG to put it all together but I'm afraid the complete butt kickings he took early just put up a mental block he has yet to overcome. Get that kid a sports psychologist!!!!!

The perplexing thing is why older players would "go rogue" at game time? You'd think if CJP is showing them what right looks like they would trust him in the game too. I can't imagine its some twisted loyalty to CBJ or perhaps just so used to losing they don't see the point. it DOES explain why the younger guys get a lot of looks.....

Quality post man, thanks again.

he only had good things to say about Pruitt, but keep in mind he graduated after the 2018 season, so he only got one year with him. Swain seems to thing that as more and more pressure has piled on pruitt that he's become a completely different person.. that probably wasn't applicable in his first season

Makes sense. When you want to win, your reputation and livelihood depends on winning and you have players (possibly coaches?) just punching in/out it would be excruciating. Pressure is a hell of drug....

Maybe, but he also lost to much weaker teams and going 6-6 is the ACC is quite different than going 6-6 in the SEC.

Dabo lost to a 2-10 Maryland team in '09. And lost to a lot of mediocre teams in '10 (7-6 BC, 8-5 UNC, 8-5 USF). And then all of his losses in '11 were by huge margins.

Not saying Pruitt is Dabo, but it really took Dabo till Year 5 to get things rolling consistently. In an easier conference. And with a better jump-start than Pruitt (remember, Dabo got to recruit a lot of his own players before he became HC since he was assistant head coach on Bowden's staff).

There are a lot of things about Pruitt that make me think he could be a Dabo or Saban. The way recruits and players talk about him is one of those things. I never heard people talk about Butch Jones like that. But there are other things that concern me, with his stubbornness on the offense being #1 on the list.

When you are ruled by emotion logic takes a back seat and we get the "Fire Everyone!" crowd. The fact of the matter is, as you wrote, it takes time to know what you've got. We need patience right now (AND a QB). It takes 2-3 years just to get enough recruits on the team to fill gaps. We wanted improvement this year and we got the opposite so people are rightly disappointed/pissed. I'll go on record and say if 2021 and 2022 don't show marked improvement he isn't the guy. Until then just chill. Its just a game....

I'm wondering if the Georgia halftime created a locker room cancer that is eating away at any team cohesion we were starting to develop. Best I can tell is there's no senior leadership being shown on the field and we all know that JG is anything but a leader on offense. To'O'To appears to be an underclassman leader on the defense which could also cause some hard feelings among the more senior players. Just some random thoughts but someone definitely put a turd in the punchbowl at the Georgia halftime. Could be the coaching staff or maybe a player, who knows?

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
i’m just telling y’all what a former player said, who i’m more inclined to listen to than armchair coaches.

Players are often like cult members who will drink their coaches cliches like jim jones koolaid.

Very few actually see the light as they are too close to the moment.

Thank you for sharing. My observation after almost 3 years is No, Pruitt is not smart and the coaches are not good. We’re 2-4 with blowout losses to GA, UK, BAMA & ARK.

What I want to know is, the general consensus seems to be he needs 5 years. So what exactly does that mean? An SEC Championship in his 5th year? Win the East? Almost the East? Almost win the East and then win the SEC in Year 6? 9 wins? 10 Wins? 11 wins and a New Year's Six bowl bid?

Not sure why anyone on earth would want to bring up Dabo Or Saban.......when trying to make comparisons to Pruitt.

It’s seriously dumb!

Dabo went to a bowl game year 1, year 2 and year 3. He went to the championship game in year 2 (first full year) had won 10 games by year 4 (3rd full)......not to mention he had one blow out loss over his first 35 games........Pruitt has had 12 over his first 31 games.

Saban has NEVER had a losing season......anywhere.

Saban had 4 blow out losses over his first 48 games.......again Pruitt 12 in 31 games!

Some of you simply can’t grasp that Pruitt isn’t a good head coach.

I'm saving this post for when Pruitt wins the SEC and a national championship and you're going to eat those words!

Making up a story about meeting a former Vol just to humble brag about getting a PS5....jeez.

I kid, I kid. That actually is a cool story and give us some deets on the PS5 when you have a chance to try it out.

I'm saving this post for when Pruitt wins the SEC and a national championship and you're going to eat those words!
He cant even beat Ky or Ark and he does not have enough sense to sit JG

source.gif

Reactions: wingnut and tbh
What I want to know is, the general consensus seems to be he needs 5 years. So what exactly does that mean?

Don't blame anything on consensus, there's not one. I think it's true that Pruitt has the potential to develop into a good coach and maybe, after that, a great coach. He may need 20 years to do it. When guys don't get the chance, it's interesting to look at the various factors that stop them. In Pruitt's case, he has a reputation for low social IQ, and that's one of the hardest and slowest things to improve about yourself. It sure is critical for a HBC. You have to convince people to make extreme efforts.

In my experience, fans will always hate Pruitt from now on, so there is no point at which he wins a certain number of games and becomes okay. Fans hated all the coaches in my lifetime (I don't really remember Doug Dickey)

VN Store

Back