Hubbs on 104.5

I have a better chance of being drafted than they do. They couldn't cover an 81 year old woman in a hoveround. I honestly do not think high schools would take them back. So my answer is no, no they should not.

the reasons you gave --- is why they should

I heard him say that and if I recall correctly, VA Tech had one 80 yd or so run early and some additional success until early in the 2nd quarter. After that I seem to recall the defense rising up and making them go 3 and out numerous times and completely shutting them down. It wasn't just the fumbles.

Memories can be tricky things Carl. Our defense only forced VaTech into three 3 -and-outs all night long....1 in the first half, 2 in the second.

First half drives for VaTech....averaged 5 plays and 27 yards per drive (a bit skewed by 3 possessions, 2 of which totaled -16 yards and ended in 2 fumbles...and a third 1 play, 6 yard drive that ended the half).

Second half drives for VaTech.....averaged 5 plays and 24 yards per drive (a bit skewed by a 1 play, minus 21 yard drive which ended in a fumble and a 1 play, 13 yard drive which, you guessed it, ended in a fumble). They also fumbled a punt which ended a potential drive before it even got started.

So you see, there was no "rising up" and forcing 3 and outs and "completely shutting them down" after some VaTech offensive success. They were continually stymied only by their own miscues.

Here are the drive summaries for VaTech by half....

1st half-
13 plays 59 yards...missed FG
8 plays 62 yards....TD
2 plays 77 yards....TD
4 plays -15 yards....fumble
5 plays 27 yards .... punt
4 plays -1 yards....fumble
3 plays 4 yards....punt
1 play 6 yards.....end of half

2nd half-
1 play 13 yards....fumble
3 plays 0 yards....punt
7 plays 42 yards....FG
3 plays 8 yards....punt
10 plays 45 yards....fumble
Fumbled punt
1 play -2 yards....fumble
10 plays 79 yards...TD

LOL. Yeah, a new S&C coach will make everything better. Who really believes this non-sense? This is the very definition of re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Playing on line exposes players to knee and ankle injuries due to the close quarters in which they play. I don't know if S&D. Guy can prevent this. Endurance, power and flexibility can be impacted though.

Martin? Justin Martin? Surely you don't mean Justin Martin. And Emmanuelle Moseley is barely an SEC corner who'll never see a down of NFL football IMO.

lol - just to get them off the roster -- I hope they go

I think there is possibly a key component to this S&C problem that we may all be missing.. I dont know how common amongst Power 5 schools it is for the football S&C coach to "oversee strength and conditioning for all programs"..

I could be wrong but I have a strong feeling that the Bama, OSU, Michigan, FSU etc. do not have a S&C coach that focuses on anything but football.. I know other sports have strength coaches but apparently they are wanting this guy to direct their efforts as well.. I think this has been standard procedure here in the past as well.. Seems like more dysfunctional BS from the administration above

I agree

Schoop is a seasoned coach, he should already know what his defense needs to perform well. This shouldn't be some miraculous revelation after a crap year. If you think recruiting trim DT's is going to solve our defensive problems you aren't thinking critically.

So on one hand you say Shoop is a seasoned coach who knows what his defense needs to perform well. Then you say that Shoops decision to want slimmer DTs isnt the answer. Like he doesnt know what he is talking about.

So which is it? Also, you really seem to fail to understand how important the DL is.

1) Said a new strength coach with NFL ties will probably be coming on board but wont be available until NFL season ends. Will manage s&c for all sports.
2) Said Gaddy decommits "may be academic related" but also Shoop wants leaner DTs 300lb guys not 325+lb guys.
3) loss of Danny Obrien was felt more than others realized (I'd add KMac also. The guy took a double team every snap)
Believe me when I tell you...You're correct, sir (to borrow a couple of quotes). I'm in the choir and we're all singing "AMEN!"
(1) S&C program upgrade. Now, that's the best-yet/least-suggested remedy that's been mentioned here. Nobody seems to have listened to Butch when he pledged to make this improvement while stacking those bricks less than a week ago. Minus all those catastrophic injuries these silly "Fahr 'em" comments on this site wouldn't be on here. Instead of better play-calling, game preparation, in-game adjustments, player development, etc., why not fix the most obvious problem; that of preventing torn labrums and all those other soft and connective tissue issues? Imagine fall camp's roster remaining intact through team 120's tenure. We would most definitely be in the NC conversation.
(2) The Gaddys? Already at least a handful of sources have mentioned that, as athletically gifted those Gaddy boys have proven to be, they're apparently just as greatly academically challenged. Let's suppose that, upon further review, it's been determined that they'll be severely challenged at keeping their grades up to par for UT or...most likely...most other big ol' schools. Uh, err, next men up.
(3) O'Brien's dubious departure, indeed, damaged our d-line horrifically. Then take out K-Mac and Shy, and really only Vickers is the SEC-ready DT on the whole team. That's 3 out of 4 in the 2-deep in a defense that's still recruiting super slobber-knockers. Lack of depth at that critical position was a concern of the coaching staff even at spring training. Help's on the way. Be patient, folks. DEs can't handle SEC linemen, but that's about all CDB's had since the A&M game. K-Mac and Shy are exceptional and Shoop's delighted to have them, but his style of D thrives with 300 pounders due to the speed and flexibility he likes out of his fellas in the middle. You can bet he's a bonus for drawing in some of those uncommitted 4 & 5* monsters. Let's be nice at least 'til NSD. No? Don't blame Shoop for this year's poor showing and...by the way...Bob Shoop totally runs his defenses. 'Always has...always will

I'm standing pat that teams 121 and 122 will dramatically upgrade the excitement...and the Ws...for UT's football program. Let's be more patient than this unfortunate season's made us all. AMIRIGHT?:yes:

Reactions: 4 people
Any chance Martin and Moseley leave early for the draft ?

I don't see Martin being around next yr. one way or the other he is gone. Mosley is a good kid, tries hard and has been asked to do something maybe he isn't capable of doing. Doesn't mean he can't contribute next yr.

Ryan Callahan while on Chattanooga radio stated that they had grade issues and that numbers are going to be a major issue especially at a position of need therefore UT could ill afford to take a risk with two prospects that probably will not qualify for the SEC. He said that UT had parted ways with all three and it was just very poor timing. Felt that these three would not be the last, stating that UT already had around 27 commitments but could only sign around 25.

Small Tackles will not cut it in this conference. Look at Bama and LSU or even Auburn you won't seem small tackles what you will see is big thick strong and fast 300lb + tackles eating folks alive. GBO!!!!

the operative word is 'leaner' . Use your listening cap. Fat defensive tackles wont cut it either

Believe me when I tell you...You're correct, sir (to borrow a couple of quotes). I'm in the choir and we're all singing "AMEN!"
(1) S&C program upgrade. Now, that's the best-yet/least-suggested remedy that's been mentioned here. Nobody seems to have listened to Butch when he pledged to make this improvement while stacking those bricks less than a week ago. Minus all those catastrophic injuries these silly "Fahr 'em" comments on this site wouldn't be on here. Instead of better play-calling, game preparation, in-game adjustments, player development, etc., why not fix the most obvious problem; that of preventing torn labrums and all those other soft and connective tissue issues? Imagine fall camp's roster remaining intact through team 120's tenure. We would most definitely be in the NC conversation.
(2) The Gaddys? Already at least a handful of sources have mentioned that, as athletically gifted those Gaddy boys have proven to be, they're apparently just as greatly academically challenged. Let's suppose that, upon further review, it's been determined that they'll be severely challenged at keeping their grades up to par for UT or...most likely...most other big ol' schools. Uh, err, next men up.
(3) O'Brien's dubious departure, indeed, damaged our d-line horrifically. Then take out K-Mac and Shy, and really only Vickers is the SEC-ready DT on the whole team. That's 3 out of 4 in the 2-deep in a defense that's still recruiting super slobber-knockers. Lack of depth at that critical position was a concern of the coaching staff even at spring training. Help's on the way. Be patient, folks. DEs can't handle SEC linemen, but that's about all CDB's had since the A&M game. K-Mac and Shy are exceptional and Shoop's delighted to have them, but his style of D thrives with 300 pounders due to the speed and flexibility he likes out of his fellas in the middle. You can bet he's a bonus for drawing in some of those uncommitted 4 & 5* monsters. Let's be nice at least 'til NSD. No? Don't blame Shoop for this year's poor showing and...by the way...Bob Shoop totally runs his defenses. 'Always has...always will

I'm standing pat that teams 121 and 122 will dramatically upgrade the excitement...and the Ws...for UT's football program. Let's be more patient than this unfortunate season's made us all. AMIRIGHT?:yes:

Good post

I think amid all of the defensive failures , the change in the offensive philosophy was lost on most ....most looky- lous only watch the score board.

They started keeping a 6 blocker and using an H back to block as well ( 7 blockers ) and using H backs and TEs in routes. They actually started power running rather than the sprint draw nonsense. It tells me that they were trying to slow the pace of the game down ...although they were unable to because of the defensive failure

The offensive boom or bust mentality was directly correlative of the defensive injuries. The offense either scored really fast , failed really fast , or turned the ball over . The defense was on the field for 930 snaps . One of the highest totals in the nation. The more reps you take , the more injuries you have statistically.

Tema swith this mind set do this and sometimes have this injury bug . Oregon at 970 this year ...has the injury bug on defense similar to ours.

The trick to the fast break offense is to get a big lead early and then dial it back to ball control and when you get the D back out ...pass rush which is not at taxing as stopping the run

So every team in the SEC features some kind of power running game and almost all have very big fast defenses. So why isn't everyone running a zone read up tempo offense ? It doesnt take a ton of expertise ...Oregons offense is a tweeked up high school offense . It is awesome sometimes , but if you cant take the other team out of their running game ...you end up with a defense broken from injuries.

The fact that the coaches saw this and tried to fix it ( albeit to late ) gives me some hope

Reactions: 4 people
Hubbs, Mathews = BJ homers

Can't speak to Mathews being a CBJ homer but I know for a fact Hubbs isn't. We have a mutual friend and I've heard him be very critical of CBJ.

However he doesn't have the luxury to be able to say exactly what he thinks publicly like we do on this forum. If he did he would make CBJ madder than he already does and that would be bad for business.

That's rude. I was being dramatic, obviously I hope the best for them and I'll always support them as Vols. They are on the field, I'm not. Anybody who gives their all for Tennessee is ok with me. But it's no secret that they need a lot of work with technique and fundamentals.

1) Said a new strength coach with NFL ties will probably be coming on board but wont be available until NFL season ends. Will manage s&c for all sports.
2) Said Gaddy decommits "may be academic related" but also Shoop wants leaner DTs 300lb guys not 325+lb guys.
3) loss of Danny Obrien was felt more than others realized (I'd add KMac also. The guy took a double team every snap)

Gruden for S&C

Reactions: 1 person
That's rude. I was being dramatic, obviously I hope the best for them and I'll always support them as Vols. They are on the field, I'm not. Anybody who gives their all for Tennessee is ok with me. But it's no secret that they need a lot of work with technique and fundamentals.

You'll "always support them"....???????

I have a better chance of being drafted than they do. They couldn't cover an 81 year old woman in a hoveround. I honestly do not think high schools would take them back. So my answer is no, no they should not.

Oh, you were just being dramatic. Well allow me to apologize for calling your post garbage...keep on supporting those vols.

Why take the commitment in the first place, when Breyon was obviously 325+?

VN Store

Back