Hubbs on 104.5

Butch trying to find ways to improve the staff and the product on the field yet people bash him and say "what's the point?" Pure stupidity. People on this board want UT to fail next year just to have Butch fired. What kind of fan is that? Do I think butch is the man for the job? No. Do i want him to do every thing he can for our program to succeed next year? Yes.

I get that the Gaddy twins are very large however there was video of one of them dunking and the other one doing gymnastic flips therefore the weight does not impact their athletic ability. I don't see how we can turn away any true D tackles right now. Put the guys on a diet when they get here.

Good points.

This whole situation certainly sounds like spin to me.

How many high school players actually come in 100% ready to go physically in the SEC? Not many.

LOL. Yeah, a new S&C coach will make everything better. Who really believes this non-sense? This is the very definition of re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

LOL
Knucklehead posters cry "We need a new strength and conditioning coach. Butch is so stupid for not getting one".
Reports come out Jones getting a new S&C coach.
Knuckleheads post "Who the hell does Butch "Lyle" think he's fooling? A new S&C won't change anything".

Reactions: 12 people
1) Said a new strength coach with NFL ties will probably be coming on board but wont be available until NFL season ends. Will manage s&c for all sports.
2) Said Gaddy decommits "may be academic related" but also Shoop wants leaner DTs 300lb guys not 325+lb guys.
3) loss of Danny Obrien was felt more than others realized (I'd add KMac also. The guy took a double team every snap)

Why then did we take their commitments?

LOL
Knucklehead posters cry "We need a new strength and conditioning coach. Butch is so stupid for not getting one".
Knuckleheads post "Who the hell does Butch "Lyle" think he's fooling? A new S&C won't change anything".

I was getting ready to point this out. You beat me to it!.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes I was. Heads up, it didn't work out.

Let's win our bowl and then win NSD.

Looks like 2017 is our year.

Jump higher Vols.(that's me too)

Go Vols!

Credit where due. You own it, my friend. Well done.

The break down between the coaches and players is that the players are not listening to Jones anymore. They are tired of hearing clichés and coach speak constantly.

That's not true. Be careful what you say. There may be people on here who actually know things if you get what I'm saying.

LOL

Well played sir. (Tips hat)

LOL

I couldn't care less who the S&C coach is, never have. It's like worrying about the ingrown toenail on your amputated leg.

Pretty sure Shoop just wants a 300-315 pound DT with a lot of muscle, similar to Bama'a DT's rather than a 350+ DT with nothing but fat like KMac was when he got here. Nothing wrong with have lean, explosive DT's. That's what you need to win, not a bunch of weak fat guys like. Kendall Vickers is listed at 295 and he's been our best DT for two years now.

And I don't think Danny O was much over 300 and he was a steady solid contributor.

Small Tackles will not cut it in this conference. Look at Bama and LSU or even Auburn you won't seem small tackles what you will see is big thick strong and fast 300lb + tackles eating folks alive. GBO!!!!

A 300 pound DT that can move will do just fine against 300 pound Linemen. We have seen that 265-285 pound DTs do have a problem. That is what we were forced to play because of the injuries. Pretty simple when one looks at the situation.

Reactions: 2 people
Like it or not, Alabama is the standard for DL's right now. Agree?

Jonathan Allen is 291 lbs.

Here are the weights for the rest of their DL including ends:

305, 315, 309, 290, 238, 284, 319, 315, 280, 306, 268, 228

Looks like around 300 is about right. What is so wrong with Shoop's wanting this target weight? You want him to try to correct problems, but you overreact and bash when he identifies a perceived problem. :banghead2:

Better be careful. Posters can’t deal with facts if they don’t support their crazy ideas and attitudes.

Reactions: 5 people
Reactions: 1 person
He also said blaming the poor defensive performance on injuries was "a cop out". Said this defense allowed the 3rd most points on program history.

Also pointed out that Virginia Tech was on pace for about 450 yards (finished with 400 yards) before handing Tennessee 5-6 turnovers in losing the game. Pointed out that Tennessee was 100% healthy that game and that the defense was still very bad even at that point.

We also handed out a few turnovers which gave teams a lot more snaps to get more yards.

I think there is possibly a key component to this S&C problem that we may all be missing.. I dont know how common amongst Power 5 schools it is for the football S&C coach to "oversee strength and conditioning for all programs"..

I could be wrong but I have a strong feeling that the Bama, OSU, Michigan, FSU etc. do not have a S&C coach that focuses on anything but football.. I know other sports have strength coaches but apparently they are wanting this guy to direct their efforts as well.. I think this has been standard procedure here in the past as well.. Seems like more dysfunctional BS from the administration above

Reactions: 2 people
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Rex View Post
Tuttle is 311. These guys can't lose 14 lbs?

Oh well.

The decision isn't about Tuttle. He's already there and for his size has very quick feet. Its about Gaddy evidently. 4 star Gaddy is 340+ and maybe not as explosive as they initially wanted. It takes a hell of a lot of dedication to drop 40-50 lbs for anyone but especially a kid that young. Kmac did a great job doing it.

Jonathan Allen isn't a 325lber but he damn sure a load and a stud as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Strong 300lb DTs who can run can play in ANY league

I realize it's not about Tuttle -- it's VERY likely also not about WEIGHT.

Have you seen the brothers' Twitter video?

Unless they put out multiple vid's with various college hats at the table, these guys had apparently chosen Tenn, and it appears they've re-decised after the Vandy loss. Are you saying they chose Tenn knowing Shoop want's lighter DT's?

But I'm sure Shoop has 2 other (lighter) DT's in his pocket to take their place.

And one of these brothers is only 311 lbs already (you know he could get down to 300).

Oh well, I'm sure Butch has everything under control come signing day.

1) Said a new strength coach with NFL ties will probably be coming on board but wont be available until NFL season ends. Will manage s&c for all sports.
2) Said Gaddy decommits "may be academic related" but also Shoop wants leaner DTs 300lb guys not 325+lb guys.
3) loss of Danny Obrien was felt more than others realized (I'd add KMac also. The guy took a double team every snap)
I guess that's why Picou and Butcher got so many snaps. Oh wait, they didn't, even with the injuries.

VN Store

Back