HOW IS THIS LEGAL

Five-star recruit signs $8 million NIL deal, largest for non-pro athlete

Not sure if everyone has seen this yet:
High junior signs $8 million NIL deal. $350,000 sign on now and then $2 million per year each year he's in college. He can't sign a LOI for the college he's attending yet but he can sign an NIL deal for that school, so that in essence is paying for play now, I don't care how you spin it!

WTH???
Just to be clear - the money is paid by the booster (or his business), not the school? Also, and this point may be irrelevant - the school can hold the athlete to the LOI - I assume the booster cannot force the athlete to enroll at a given school (other than by withholding the money).

Last edited:
$100 hand shake was dirty money probably squandered. Million dollar deals will bring focus to the young men. They have to keep putting in the work to keep getting paid the big bucks. These deals could actually bring structure to their free time too. The success of college players is all about how they spend their free time. I haven’t looked a contract, but I figure their are certain expectations that have to meet to keep getting paid. Once the deals involve millions of upfront guaranteed money like the NFL, then there is no telling how they will react. As long as there are stipulations, like being academically eligible or not under investigation and stuff like that, there is a chance NIL deals can bring focus to the players involved.
That business structure doesn't make sense. If it did there would be a lot music artists without a following but still rich. It needs to be merit-based. If you haven't proven you can even start at the college level, you're not worth a million dollars.

Ain't capitalism grande??????????????????????????

I'm not an NIL fan, but I don't condemn it either. On account under table paying has gone on for years, while the system winked, and pretended to be concerned about it. And on account, kids have been exploited for million$ on million$ by schools via their likeness and college fame while forbidding kids to capitalize on the same. It was/is not unusual for former players who didn't get drafted or managed to stick with a pro team to end up destitute, or end up even living under bridges. Due to not being able to get a job even with a degree, especially minority players. And I ought to know, I wasn't a draftable player, but I have, not one, but two degrees. Yet, literally saw my application dumped in a wastebasket by a secretary less than a minute later, who wasn't aware I had returned to retrieve a gold pen I forgot to take with me. I did end up getting employed elsewhere eventually, but a lot of others didn't and often settled for work well below their actual training/education. I lived it. So hooray for the kids of whatever ethnic extraction they are for finally benefitting from what should have been theirs in the first place. But watch out for three main things, stupidity that comes with sudden major money, ignorance about tax obligations, and choose your "friends" carefully, very carefully. Getting a reputable financial advising service would be a smart move. Unfortunately, I must also add, be wary of family members who frequently are as bad or worse than swindlers. Just ask lottery winners such as Michael Carroll, Jeffrey Dampier, and William Post.

I don't think we were behind because of ineptitude or lack of effort, the NCAA thing is still a bit of a problem but this is power move securing a franchise quarterback.
Some were not all in on white or Heupel. Just had some apathy about program as well.

High junior signs $8 million NIL deal. $350,000 sign on now and then $2 million per year each year he's in college. He can't sign a LOI for the college he's attending yet but he can sign an NIL deal for that school, so that in essence is paying for play now, I don't care how you spin it!

WTH???

Fred Thompson sums up the current NIL free for all

If this kid was an academic prodigy...and had already received a doctorate

Would you be pissed if a medical center offered him.$2M per year?
I have to admit, I don't even begin to understand your question. I went back and read the story. It sounds like he doesn't have to sign with a certain school to get the money. It does seem to read like he is expected to sign with a particular university, since the attorney who drafted the contract makes the comment that there is an element of trust between the player and a certain school. Contract also seems to imply that the "collective" can seek repayment of the money. So does that make the attorney the kids agent?

As an aside, seems to me the old NCAA Football franchise that EA Sports had is an amazing NIL vehicle. I assume that is coming back with a vengeance???

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I guess it’s legal until it isn’t. The NCAA opened up this can of worms by allowing NIL in the first place
Well, I just saw a couple of posts on here that the deal is the 5 star QB out of California and the school is Tennessee. Is there any confirmation on this? And as much as I love Tennessee football, this still seems way out of line. The question that comes to mind for me is, is he promised the starting job when he gets on campus, and if so, how does that affect the QB from Indiana once he gets here? And one other, will this start a bidding war that could make this even more silly?

Well, I just saw a couple of posts on here that the deal is the 5 star QB out of California and the school is Tennessee. Is there any confirmation on this? And as much as I love Tennessee football, this still seems way out of line. The question that comes to mind for me is, is he promised the starting job when he gets on campus, and if so, how does that affect the QB from Indiana once he gets here? And one other, will this start a bidding war that could make this even more silly?

There's plenty of risk involved but we are on the outside looking in currently and need to take some risks. We're basically a .500 program since Fulmer was fired, we've got nothing to lose, we aren't likely to get much worse but could become elite again if we play this right.

I just go with Alan Greenspan. The rise and fall. I'm moving into my 50's so my filter is a bit old, but I think it still works...

''It is not that humans have become any more greedy than in generations past. It is that the avenues to express greed had grown so enormously.''

WTH???
And that’s exactly what every other school is doing with NIL….. although I believe only California High School players can receive money while still in high school. That’s why everyone is saying it’s us paying Nico!

WTH???
Have you literally missed the last year of college football?

Wth lmao...

It is fully legal and many of us here donated to it.

Reactions: Firebirdparts
As an aside, seems to me the old NCAA Football franchise that EA Sports had is an amazing NIL vehicle. I assume that is coming back with a vengeance???
I'm thinking maybe EA can't afford it. I guess we'll see.

They originally got the NIL's for free, obviously. They'd need to pay 10,000 players to cover what we used to call D-1.

VN Store

Back