HOW IS THIS LEGAL

tennesseeduke

Five-star recruit signs $8 million NIL deal, largest for non-pro athlete

Not sure if everyone has seen this yet:
High school junior signs $8 million NIL deal. $350,000 sign on now and then $2 million per year each year he's in college. He can't sign a LOI for the college he's attending yet but he can sign an NIL deal for that school, so that in essence is paying for play now, I don't care how you spin it!

WTH???

Last edited:
I saw that yesterday on my iphone news app. Didn't bother to read the story and find out the particulars, but that is without a doubt, buying the services of this kid. NCAA opened the door, now it has been taken off the hinges. How, as the op asked, can this be legal? Shouldn't there be something keeping the money guys from signing a high school junior to an NIL deal?

I have a feeling all this will end up leveling out with limits placed on how much athletes can receive. Right now, it’s just the Wild West and people are getting their money while they can. No one can fault them for that.
Supreme Court quashed any capping on this. The market is the only thing that will correct itself.

What did people think was going to happen?

Here's the fun part. People are different. Just like the professionals, some will handle their money and fame well and some won't

But, you know there will be problems that stem from this.

But, I guarantee you've got dudes who will start to stay for their senior season. There are going to be guys who cash in at the college level who won't make jack in the NFL.

Vols won’t have any trouble paying their players.

Not talking about schools.

If you want me to be specific, I'm talking about the people who will say it isn't fair that the football player gets a large NIL deal and the women's lacrosse player doesn't.

And even funnier, when people like Olivia Dunne get that kind of NIL deal and everyone knows why.

Finally these guys are about to get paid their value. $100 handshake in a Billion dollar business isn’t sustainable. If players bust out after getting all that NIL money, that will slow down the NIL money. When that happens, players will want their cut of the TV money. Profit sharing is next.

Reactions: kcvols1
Five-star recruit signs $8 million NIL deal, largest for non-pro athlete

Not sure if everyone has seen this yet:
High junior signs $8 million NIL deal. $350,000 sign on now and then $2 million per year each year he's in college. He can't sign a LOI for the college he's attending yet but he can sign an NIL deal for that school, so that in essence is paying for play now, I don't care how you spin it!

WTH???
this will ruin college atletics./ its my understanding that noone can get a NIL unless they are enrolled in college

I have a feeling all this will end up leveling out with limits placed on how much athletes can receive. Right now, it’s just the Wild West and people are getting their money while they can. No one can fault them for that.
That genie is pretty much out of the bottle legally. The only thing that will limit NIL is when everybody figures out exactly what the bang for the buck is and the market finds itself.

I saw that yesterday on my iphone news app. Didn't bother to read the story and find out the particulars, but that is without a doubt, buying the services of this kid. NCAA opened the door, now it has been taken off the hinges. How, as the op asked, can this be legal? Shouldn't there be something keeping the money guys from signing a high school junior to an NIL deal?
I guess it’s legal until it isn’t. The NCAA opened up this can of worms by allowing NIL in the first place

VN Store

Back