HOW IS THIS LEGAL

Anytime you argue for increasing taxes because “they’ll be okay” or “they have enough” it’s the same argument as capping player earnings because “they get free food”. You’re saying it’s okay because they don’t need it.

You’re making the false assumption that earnings and or tax burden should be based on relative need
It's not the same at all lol. Capping vs taxation. Don't act so dull as if any form of progressive taxation (which yes does make pragmatic sense, re: post-tax disposable income) is the same as capping income.

The various schools have been using the players' NIL rights for profit while telling the players they should be content with getting the scholarship and getting represent their school. All the while paying out millions to coaches, asst coaches, ADs, AD employees etc etc etc.

Dang, I must have missed them farming out Peyton for paid appearances and did not know they were getting additional income for all those TV ads during his college days. Wonder if UT gets paid for those visits to Children's Hospital too.

There will be huge hurdles to clear if colleges start paying any athlete. Will they be employees or independent contractors. Do they get W2's or 1099's? Got to show up in the books somewhere for the IRS to monitor. Can schools give them no cost tuition and not the cafeteria workers and professors? I smell a lawsuit coming. Housing? Medical coverage? Can you pay some scholarship football players and not all? Can you imagine the variation in the amount of pay one would have pay a kid going to Stanford vs Mississippi State? Do walkons have to go away in divisions that pay players?

Can you pay football and basketball athletes and not track and tennis? Who decides what fair market value is? Are there one set of laws and rules for all divisions of the NCAA? If not, can the NCAA create a new semi-pro division to insure those with marketable NIL have a place to play without killing the old school methodology for the majority that will never get significant payment for their NIL ? Do we have to establish an NIL draft since they are pushing the pro model? What percent of the players in the entirety of the NCAA will get NIL money in excess of say $20,000 for the sake of argument? How many below the P5 level?

It's not the same at all lol. Capping vs taxation. Don't act so dull as if any form of progressive taxation (which yes does make pragmatic sense, re: post-tax disposable income) is the same as capping income.

Is the purpose of a progressive tax not to limit the income of high earners because they “don’t need it”. That’s 100% how it’s represented.

Is the purpose of a progressive tax not to limit the income of high earners because they “don’t need it”. That’s 100% how it’s represented.

That is how it is characterized by one side. Just one justification for the logic. I think the realities are they have it and those down the income stream do not, the ole turnip principal.

There’s probably going to be some corporate sponsorships for lesser revenue sports but it will never be anything as much as the money sports are getting. NIL probably will be good for others too but it won’t be close to what popular men’s sports are getting.

I’ve seen some female athletes generate money off some social media platforms though, it would be interesting to see if a third party could help some of our athletes from lesser money sports to manage their social media presence to generate income. YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, etc. Sounds crazy but our social media presence is insane.

I can understand why the NCAA did not want to introduce this revenue stream within the institutions under any circumstances, but think they have to like the NIL outside forces model as the alternative. Direct employee relationships within the NCAA and specifically the schools would create the platform for equity attacks. As long as the NCAA demands it's members not be directly involved in the transactions, there can be no institutional liability created for actions by regulated and traceable outside forces. If they can make money on female athletes or Olympic sports they will. I guess if necessary the NIL folks would be allowed to have the donations or payments for appearances designated to specific sports. But all outside the NCAA footprint. Trying to control this would be like trying to herd cats with any simplistic court decision like this first one. The NCAA simply has to require and insure it's members are in no way trying to impede any outside force from letting athletes earn their money by not allowing ANY involvement in the process other than knowledge of it. No regulation on any entity paying any athlete any amount of money, but probable regulation of member institutions involvement in all phases of those transactions with serious penalties for the introduction of liability with said involvement. The neuvo under the table replacement.

Dang, I must have missed them farming out Peyton for paid appearances and did not know they were getting additional income for all those TV ads during his college days. Wonder if UT gets paid for those visits to Children's Hospital too.

There will be huge hurdles to clear if colleges start paying any athlete. Will they be employees or independent contractors. Do they get W2's or 1099's? Got to show up in the books somewhere for the IRS to monitor. Can schools give them no cost tuition and not the cafeteria workers and professors? I smell a lawsuit coming. Housing? Medical coverage? Can you pay some scholarship football players and not all? Can you imagine the variation in the amount of pay one would have pay a kid going to Stanford vs Mississippi State? Do walkons have to go away in divisions that pay players?

Can you pay football and basketball athletes and not track and tennis? Who decides what fair market value is? Are there one set of laws and rules for all divisions of the NCAA? If not, can the NCAA create a new semi-pro division to insure those with marketable NIL have a place to play without killing the old school methodology for the majority that will never get significant payment for their NIL ? Do we have to establish an NIL draft since they are pushing the pro model? What percent of the players in the entirety of the NCAA will get NIL money in excess of say $20,000 for the sake of argument? How many below the P5 level?

How many Manning jerseys do you suppose UT has sold over the years? How much money do you reckon they made off Peyton?

There will be huge hurdles to clear if colleges start paying any athlete.

Colleges aren't funding the NILs

Will they be employees or independent contractors. Do they get W2's or 1099's? Got to show up in the books somewhere for the IRS to monitor. Can schools give them no cost tuition and not the cafeteria workers and professors I smell a lawsuit coming. Housing? Medical coverage? Can you pay some scholarship football players and not all? Can you imagine the variation in the amount of pay one would have pay a kid going to Stanford vs Mississippi State? Do walkons have to go away in divisions that pay players?

You realize this goes on now? Some sports only get a couple scholarships. They offer partial rides.

Can you pay football and basketball athletes and not track and tennis?

The school is not paying. So sure. Fair market value.

Who decides what fair market value is?

Is this a real question?

Are there one set of laws and rules for all divisions of the NCAA?

Yes. Athletes are allowed to earn a living. It is a really simple concept.

If not, can the NCAA create a new semi-pro division to insure those with marketable NIL have a place to play without killing the old school methodology for the majority that will never get significant payment for their NIL ?

No. Slavery has been declared unconstitutional

Do we have to establish an NIL draft since they are pushing the pro model?

So now you would be in favor of forcing a kid to go to a school in which he didn't want to go because he had the audacity to want to earn a living.

What percent of the players in the entirety of the NCAA will get NIL money in excess of say $20,000 for the sake of argument?

Don't know. Don't care.

How many below the P5 level?

See above.

How many Manning jerseys do you suppose UT has sold over the years? How much money do you reckon they made off Peyton?
My brother asked me a question when we were talking about this last weekend and I couldn't remember.

Did the university sell jerseys with player names on the back when they were playing there? Or was it just a numbered jersey with no name? Did UT sell "Manning" jerseys? Or was it #16 jerseys?

My brother asked me a question when we were talking about this last weekend and I couldn't remember.

Did the university sell jerseys with player names on the back when they were playing there? Or was it just a numbered jersey with no name? Did UT sell "Manning" jerseys? Or was it #16 jerseys?

I see both.

I see both.
I knew jerseys with player names were out there before the NIL controversy, but I didn't know if it was sold by UT or if it was 3rd party who may or may not have gotten NCAA licensing permission.

If a player can't get money from a jersey with his name on the back, then they shouldn't be sold by anyone. If it's a jersey with just a number, that might be a gray area.

VN Store

Back