How do we fire our scheduler?

Good lord. Why does a portion of our fanbase live in such fear of OOC opponents?

Oklahoma. Omgggggg
Nebraska. Noooooo
Va Tech, Ga Tech, UCLA, Army, Pitt. Always the same BS even when we crush teams

Hell I remember the mouth breathers thinking bowling Green, western Kentucky, Marshall etc we’re too risky to schedule. 🙄

2007 CAL- Loss
2008 UCLA- Loss
2009 UCLA- Loss
2010 Oregon- Loss
2011- Cincinnati- Win (hey, let’s hire that guy)
2012- NC State- Win
2013- Oregon- Loss
2014- Oklahoma- Loss
2015- Oklahoma- Loss
2016- Virginia Tech- Win
2017- Georgia Tech- Win
2018- West Virginia- Loss
2019- BYU- Loss

Add in games like Georgia State, the shootout with Troy, OT vs. App State, tight games vs. UMass, Charlotte and South Alabama.....and I have no idea why anyone would fear OOC competition.

2007 CAL- Loss
2008 UCLA- Loss
2009 UCLA- Loss
2010 Oregon- Loss
2012- NC State- Win
2013- Oregon- Loss
2014- Oklahoma- Loss
2015- Oklahoma- Loss
2016- Virginia Tech- Win
2017- Georgia Tech- Win
2019- BYU- Loss

Add in games like Georgia State, the shootout with Troy, OT vs. App State, tight games vs. UMass, Charlotte and South Alabama.....and I have no idea why anyone would fear OOC competition.
Again no one cares about what dumbass Florida fans think. Ga Southern, Michigan, FSU and Miami say hello

I'm not lecturing at all. I'm stating facts, and you're responding with irrelevant whining. In 2015, Army lost to a FCS team (Fordham) along with a host of other teams. They all managed to beat that offense. Why exactly would Tennessee not be able to handle it? You want to move that game to a different time of the season so it's even easier to beat a team we should beat easily? Go root for Vandy if you're going to be afraid of Conference USA teams.

The scheduler's job is to setup entertaining and sometimes challenging matchups. Tennessee playing Army might end up being a challenge. Good teams rise to the challenge. No one knows whether we'll have a good team in 2022 or not, but one thing is for sure. A program of Tennessee's caliber should not be afraid of a school like Army 2 years in advance.

Look stat nerd I’m not talking rankings or W/L categories from 2015 vs FBS opponents. I’m talking about schemes, philosophies and it’s impact on our players and coaches after playing Pitt on the road (a decent ACC team) and before playing Florida the next week. Going into the games that really matter I’d prefer not to be playing a team that plays that style of football because of the way they block, its impact on the health of our team and how long they keep the football. Considering our record versus the Gators the last 30 years or so I don’t think it’s such a bad thing that I’m hoping our guys be as healthy as possible . Therefor, I was questioning the pros and cons of playing a team like Army whether they went 12–0 or 0-12.

Thank you for that riveting explanation of what a schedulers job is btw . That was very eye opening and insightful.

I have a sneaky feeling we can beat Oklahoma. We should have had them before best my memory serves me. Didn’t we have a good chance of winning when we played them a few years ago? Like when Mayfield was there? If we can pull it out that could be a momentum thing. I always used to think the Florida game determined our season. But we tried going the easy route this year and it didn’t work.... Maybe we can use this game to get us goin.... I pray it does anyways!

Why are we playing Oklahoma next year? Why are we scheduling Oregon and Ohio State but dumping North Carolina?

Honestly!!! Alabama plays Duke and we play Oklahoma. It should be swapped.

We should play other struggling programs like us such as Nebraska, UCLA, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech again, etc. I am tired of seeing us play teams that are going to drill us. Let Alabama, LSU, and Georgia schedule them.
Do you need a safe place also? JK

If we can beat the Sooners in Norman, just think of the players’ confidence levels going into the Florida game and beyond. Dooley and Jones times are over. We are reclaiming our rightful spot with the other powerhouses!

Maybe you missed where I said I have no problem playing the likes of OU and other big time Power 5 programs. I actually prefer it. It has zero to do with Army’s record, but more with the timing of the game with a service academy because of the type of offense that they play . You know with the cut blocks that tend to get D Lineman dinged up, the clock eating style that they play and the uniqueness of their offense that is difficult to prepare for? That’s what I was talking about.

I guess you were too busy attempting to lecture me about college football scheduling and questioning my competitive nature. I suggest you work on your lecturing for class because it won’t have any impact on me here.
Coaches change and thus offensive and defensive schemes change too. No one can predict what kind of offense a team will be playing 6 years in advance. I prefer to say we should play anyone anytime anywhere. You have to if you want to win a natty.

Reactions: vols40
I think the guy who laid theg round for next year's schedule has already left the program. I am happy we get the opportunity to play a tough schedule to see how we are progressing. Don't sweat it.

Coaches change and thus offensive and defensive schemes change too. No one can predict what kind of offense a team will be playing 6 years in advance. I prefer to say we should play anyone anytime anywhere. You have to if you want to win a natty.

I agree that in most cases coaches and schemes can change year to year . However, I think I can safely assume that the service academies will be running the same sort of triple option style offense they’ve been running for longer than I’ve been alive. I don’t have a problem playing a tough opponent, I just didn’t care for the placement of that game because of their style.

I agree that in most cases coaches and schemes can change year to year . However, I think I can safely assume that the service academies will be running the same sort of triple option style offense they’ve been running for longer than I’ve been alive. I don’t have a problem playing a tough opponent, I just didn’t care for the placement of that game because of their style.
They don't many choices on where to place the game. You are asking for WAY too much.

you can thank Dave Hart. He inked this ish right before he ‘retired’. I don’t mind playing tough OCC games but we’ve already done the OU home and home. He couldn’t find anyone else? Texas, Utah, Washington, Washington St, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn St, Virginia, on and on

I still think about Ki-Jana Carter whenever I think about Penn St. Not sure why PSU would be better than OU.

2007 CAL- Loss
2008 UCLA- Loss
2009 UCLA- Loss
2010 Oregon- Loss
2012- NC State- Win
2013- Oregon- Loss
2014- Oklahoma- Loss
2015- Oklahoma- Loss
2016- Virginia Tech- Win
2017- Georgia Tech- Win
2019- BYU- Loss

How about you go beyond the 2007 season and tell us how we faired before this slide we have been in.

VN Store

Back