How do we fire our scheduler?

OK, enjoy the Vols playing the girl scouts. I will take your word for how much fun you had. Tell me who wins.
I’m sure the Alabama/Georgia State broadcast will have updates. 😏

Edit: And I think you misunderstood my post. I’m going to the Oklahoma game in Norman...again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Orangeslice13
They got a deal for two home and two away games against a team that they had never played before in the same negotiation. To be the best, you need to beat the best. Personally, I prefer that over sisters of the poor games vs UAB, Charlotte, and whichever in state cupcake gets their turn. What puts more butts in the seats? If you like playing weaker programs, at least you will have more room to sit, less of a traffic jam, better choices of parking spaces, and shorter lines to the concessions and urinals. Enjoy.

Cheer up. They might schedule Kansas next time.
To be the best you have to beat the best is garbage. There are no trophies handed out for out of conference games at the beginning of the season. Let’s play OK State; Iowa; Iowa St; Virginia; UNC; Purdue; California; Arizona; TCU. There are plenty of matchups out there that we’d have a chance in.

We’ve played OU. I’ve seen this movie before. We are not ready for that challenge yet.

To be the best you have to beat the best is garbage. There are no trophies handed out for out of conference games at the beginning of the season. Let’s play OK State; Iowa; Iowa St; Virginia; UNC; Purdue; California; Arizona; TCU. There are plenty of matchups out there that we’d have a chance in.

We’ve played OU. I’ve seen this movie before. We are not ready for that challenge yet.
‘Tis a shame...cuz we’re playing.

I do think the best recruits want to play in games against the best teams. Gotta give the people what they want!

Also, Miami scheduled crap teams throughout the 80s and 90s, and had a nasty habit of getting drilled in the post season as much as they succeeded.

Yeah, I mean I heard the players talk about it themselves earlier. They want to bring in players who want to compete. Not just so they are surrounded by the best, but to face the best in practice. Generally speaking, that's how you get better at anything competitive. Play with and learn from the best.

Reactions: kcvols1

We should schedule teams like BYU and Georgia State

Reactions: Volnut
This thread will be fun if we manage to win
It’s fun anyway. Last time I visited Norman, we had Worley and the worst OL in the history of our program (I said it!) and were still competitive til the late 3rd quarter. No one died and I had a blast. Their fans are cool and the atmosphere is fun. I expect even more on Sep 12.

Reactions: Probably_in_Class
I like the tough OOC scheduling. Has been some pretty exciting games in recent years. Oklahoma. Ga tech. Va Tech. Also makes a clear statement what we’re about. Can’t wait to beat the wheels off that scooner.

I just did a search for our future schedules. I saw that In 2022 we play Army in the 3rd game of the season after coming off of a road game at Pitt...Why would we do that? I have a much bigger problem with this game than I do with scheduling big time P5 schools like OU, especially sandwiched between Pitt and most likely Florida.

I have nothing but respect for the service academies, but that doesn’t mean I want to play them. The negatives of playing them far exceed the positives in my opinion.

I just did a search for our future schedules. I saw that In 2022 we play Army in the 3rd game of the season after coming off of a road game at Pitt...Why would we do that? I have a much bigger problem with this game than I do with scheduling big time P5 schools like OU, especially sandwiched between Pitt and most likely Florida.

I have nothing but respect for the service academies, but that doesn’t mean I want to play them. The negatives of playing them far exceed the positives in my opinion.
You scared?

Good lord. Why does a portion of our fanbase live in such fear of OOC opponents?

Oklahoma. Omgggggg
Nebraska. Noooooo
Va Tech, Ga Tech, UCLA, Army, Pitt. Always the same BS even when we crush teams

Hell I remember the mouth breathers thinking bowling Green, western Kentucky, Marshall etc we’re too risky to schedule. 🙄

So you'd like us to hire a scheduler who can predict the future? Got any candidates in mind?

Did I say fire the scheduler and hire one that can predict the future? I can’t predict the future, but I’d say it’s a pretty damn safe assumption that Army will be running the flexbone or another version of the triple option when we play them in 2022. When you sandwich that with a P5 game on the road with Florida at home they become a much more difficult opponent.

Did I say fire the scheduler and hire one that can predict the future? I can’t predict the future, but I’d say it’s a pretty damn safe assumption that Army will be running the flexbone or another version of the triple option when we play them in 2022. When you sandwich that with a P5 game on the road with Florida at home they become a much more difficult opponent.

Whether or not it is what you are saying, it's what you're requesting. Schedules are made 6-10 years in advance. The Army game, for example, was announced summer of 2016. Army was just coming off a 2-10 season. What exactly about that should cause someone in charge of scheduling to worry about that opponent 6 years down the road? The job is to schedule entertaining matchups, not to have a knack for always finding teams who are experiencing down seasons.

If Tennessee playing competitive matchups bothers you so much, go watch some tee-ball games where they aren't keeping score. That should be more your speed.

Whether or not it is what you are saying, it's what you're requesting. Schedules are made 6-10 years in advance. The Army game, for example, was announced summer of 2016. Army was just coming off a 2-10 season. What exactly about that should cause someone in charge of scheduling to worry about that opponent 6 years down the road? The job is to schedule entertaining matchups, not to have a knack for always finding teams who are experiencing down seasons.

If Tennessee playing competitive matchups bothers you so much, go watch some tee-ball games where they aren't keeping score. That should be more your speed.

Maybe you missed where I said I have no problem playing the likes of OU and other big time Power 5 programs. I actually prefer it. It has zero to do with Army’s record, but more with the timing of the game with a service academy because of the type of offense that they play . You know with the cut blocks that tend to get D Lineman dinged up, the clock eating style that they play and the uniqueness of their offense that is difficult to prepare for? That’s what I was talking about.

I guess you were too busy attempting to lecture me about college football scheduling and questioning my competitive nature. I suggest you work on your lecturing for class because it won’t have any impact on me here.

Maybe you missed where I said I have no problem playing the likes of OU and other big time Power 5 programs. I actually prefer it. It has zero to do with Army’s record, but more with the timing of the game with a service academy because of the type of offense that they play . You know with the cut blocks that tend to get D Lineman dinged up, the clock eating style that they play and the uniqueness of their offense that is difficult to prepare for? That’s what I was talking about.

I guess you were too busy attempting to lecture me about college football scheduling and questioning my competitive nature. I suggest you work on your lecturing for class because it won’t have any impact on me here.

I'm not lecturing at all. I'm stating facts, and you're responding with irrelevant whining. In 2015, Army lost to a FCS team (Fordham) along with a host of other teams. They all managed to beat that offense. Why exactly would Tennessee not be able to handle it? You want to move that game to a different time of the season so it's even easier to beat a team we should beat easily? Go root for Vandy if you're going to be afraid of Conference USA teams.

The scheduler's job is to setup entertaining and sometimes challenging matchups. Tennessee playing Army might end up being a challenge. Good teams rise to the challenge. No one knows whether we'll have a good team in 2022 or not, but one thing is for sure. A program of Tennessee's caliber should not be afraid of a school like Army 2 years in advance.

VN Store

Back