How do we fire our scheduler?

Why are we playing Oklahoma next year? Why are we scheduling Oregon and Ohio State but dumping North Carolina?

Honestly!!! Alabama plays Duke and we play Oklahoma. It should be swapped.

We should play other struggling programs like us such as Nebraska, UCLA, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech again, etc. I am tired of seeing us play teams that are going to drill us. Let Alabama, LSU, and Georgia schedule them.

On the bright side, if we lose it won't be embarrassing....like losing to GSU or BYU.....

As the years go by, my memories surrounding football are about the big games, especially the out of conference ones. I really don't remember anything about the 1990 season except the lose to Alabama and to Notre Dame. I can remember that Notre Dame game like it was yesterday and I remember everyone I was at that game with also. I have no idea who else we played that year.

Does anyone remember who we played in 1972? I know we played Penn State. First game in Neyland under the lights and Penn State was undefeated.

I remember the 1994 UCLA game vividly and the 1980 USC game. Of course there was the 1991 Tennessee - Notre Dame game. Would anyone, who is a Tennessee fan, claim that we should have played some cupcake instead of that game?

For me, the mid-major teams are boring and just filler for the season. I was as upset as anyone about the GA State game, but everyone in the football world knows that was an outlier. I want one big out of conference game per year and if we lose, so be it. I will not like it if we lose, but there is a good chance the I will be talking about it with my friends 10 years later.
Agree 1000%... For every 1979 Rutgers or 2008 Wyoming or 2019 Ga St, there's great memorable games w/ ND, UCLA, OK, etc. Gotta say, I didn't particularly like playing Oregon when they were cranking, and we just had NO shot at winning those games. You at least want to try and anticipate when we're going to be back up to being competitive...and therefore, have no issues with the scheduling this year...should be 9-3, but if "if's and but's were candy and nuts...". We'll probably be a 10 point under dog vs OK in the Fall, but can easily make the case for us hanging w/ them, which couldn't be said the last few years.

I used to disagree with this but now I agree. There is zero benefit to scheduling tough OOC competition. Ohio State was the number one team in the playoff rankings coming into this week while having played Noone to this point. We have Georgia and Bama on our schedule, no need to make it more difficult.

It comes down to this: How many people came to the Oklahoma game? And in comparison, how many show up for Georgia state? There is zero benefit to playing the tough OOC schedule, unless we go 11-1. And had that been this year? Those whining against playing tough OOC would do an about face, and blame the scheduler for playing too many cupcakes because we "should have been in the playoff because we are Tennessee".

I will be consistent. I could care less if we play the toughest schedule in the nation, and expect our team to run through them. You go ahead and get excited about playing Tennessee Tech or Buffalo or Troy. If they beat the big names, we got something to be proud of. If they beat your preferences, nobody cares. And if they lose,, we are laughingstocks. Great plan, skippy.

Reactions: kcvols1
you can thank Dave Hart. He inked this ish right before he ‘retired’. I don’t mind playing tough OCC games but we’ve already done the OU home and home. He couldn’t find anyone else? Texas, Utah, Washington, Washington St, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn St, Virginia, on and on

Hell, before Hart got the deal, Oklahoma was one of the top schools we hoped to one day match up with. Now it is ish? How is your yeast infection?

It comes down to this: How many people came to the Oklahoma game? And in comparison, how many show up for Georgia state? There is zero benefit to playing the tough OOC schedule, unless we go 11-1. And had that been this year? Those whining against playing tough OOC would do an about face, and blame the scheduler for playing too many cupcakes because we "should have been in the playoff because we are Tennessee".

I will be consistent. I could care less if we play the toughest schedule in the nation, and expect our team to run through them. You go ahead and get excited about playing Tennessee Tech or Buffalo or Troy. If they beat the big names, we got something to be proud of. If they beat your preferences, nobody cares. And if they lose,, we are laughingstocks. Great plan, skippy.

How many times do I have to post this. I am not saying dump a Power 5 team. I am just saying don't play the best team year in and year out in the Big12. Play a program that is struggling like us such as Nebraska, Texas Tech, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, etc.

Yall do know these games have be scheduled for years lol. It's not like they schedule year by year . Only way Tenn will ever get back to the top is playing these games . And showing kids Tenn ain't scared to play in the big games .
The only way Tennessee will get back to the top is to schedule perennial playoff teams and get drilled while we struggle to get bowl eligible? Makes no sense.

No, what we need to do us stack OOC wins so we can go 9-3, 10-2, and build the program recruiting well, better than we are now, after as much on field success/wins as possible.

Then, and only then should we play OOC games vs the likes or Oklahoma and Ohio State. There will be a time, like it used to be, when we’re ready to go compete with and even beat those teams....now ain’t that time.

Yeah let’s just keep playing lesser schools like BYU and Ga State. Rack up some easy wins. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
We’ll be better equipped next year and the year after to easily handle teams like GaSt and BYU.

I understand your sarcastic point here....but if we weren’t ready to beat GaSt and BYU in 2019, why on God’s green earth would anybody think we’re ready to compete with freaking Oklahoma in 2020? Makes no sense.

Reactions: give_him 6
Would rather challenge myself if I were on the team. Wouldn't be going to college to play football if all we played were teams we know we'd beat. Not going to get better playing them. Also games in general aren't really that fun when it's on easy mode.

The “We’re gonna whip them” and “to be the man you have to beat the man” stuff is nonsense. Our SEC conference schedule is tough enough. Playing OU for the third time since 2010 is dumb. We are not where we need to be to play those games. I’d rather play those teams in a bowl game when it matters. Scheduling those games prevents us from getting to those bowl games. Might as well schedule Clemson week 1 while we are at it.

The “We’re gonna whip them” and “to be the man you have to beat the man” stuff is nonsense. Our SEC conference schedule is tough enough. Playing OU for the third time since 2010 is dumb. We are not where we need to be to play those games. I’d rather play those teams in a bowl game when it matters. Scheduling those games prevents us from getting to those bowl games. Might as well schedule Clemson week 1 while we are at it.
Well unless we make the Playoffs or a big time bowl, we aren't playing OU anytime soon. Same with Clemson.

I’m going to the game and that’s all I give a crap about. 😎

all games matter...

and it's no big deal to play a great opponent now and then, you can never predict how someone will be 5 to 10 to 15 years down the road...

Nebraska just played for a National title when we scheduled them in upcoming years, Oregon was an average mediocre program when we scheduled them. We scheduled Ohio St (before they cancelled on us), it just doesnt matter.

Scheduling a Power 5 opponent these days isnt like in the 1970s thru early 90's when we could schedule 3 or 4 of them, because teams like Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Utah, Penn St, Duke, etc would come to Neyland to play without even requesting a home game in return.

Now it's either got to be a straight home/home series (which Tennessee won't stoop to and lose money by playing someone like Wake Forest, Indiana, Iowa St, etc on the road) or one of those opening neutral site games like WVU, Va Tech, etc.

but as far as these games go, from here on out, Tennessee will ONLY schedule one of these opponents in those two categories, so get used to it:

Tennessee will play home/homes against:
Clemson, Louisville, Florida St, Boston College, Syracuse, Miami, Pittsburgh, UNC, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, WVU, Texas, TCU, Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, BYU, Notre Dame, Oregon, California, Washington, Stanford, Utah, USC, UCLA, Arizona St, Colorado, Arizona

Neutral Site/Neyland games only against:
Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State, Duke, Baylor, Kansas St, Iowa St, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Oregon St, Wash State

NON-P5 Teams that Tennessee would consider playing neutral sites:
Cincinnati, UCF, Memphis, Navy, Houston, Army, Boise St, Air Force, Hawaii

That's pretty much it...every one else will definitely be at home from now until eternity

all games matter...

and it's no big deal to play a great opponent now and then, you can never predict how someone will be 5 to 10 to 15 years down the road...

Nebraska just played for a National title when we scheduled them in upcoming years, Oregon was an average mediocre program when we scheduled them. We scheduled Ohio St (before they cancelled on us), it just doesnt matter.

Scheduling a Power 5 opponent these days isnt like in the 1970s thru early 90's when we could schedule 3 or 4 of them, because teams like Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Utah, Penn St, Duke, etc would come to Neyland to play without even requesting a home game in return.

Now it's either got to be a straight home/home series (which Tennessee won't stoop to and lose money by playing someone like Wake Forest, Indiana, Iowa St, etc on the road) or one of those opening neutral site games like WVU, Va Tech, etc.

but as far as these games go, from here on out, Tennessee will ONLY schedule one of these opponents in those two categories, so get used to it:

Clemson, Louisville, Florida St, Boston College, Syracuse, Miami, Pittsburgh, UNC, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, WVU, Texas, TCU, Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, BYU, Notre Dame, Oregon, California, Washington, Stanford, Utah, USC, UCLA, Arizona St, Colorado, Arizona

Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State, Duke, Baylor, Kansas St, Iowa St, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Oregon St, Wash State

That's pretty much it...every one else will definitely be at home from now until eternity
Why OU again? Why not an ACC team? Why not another Big 12 team? Why did we have to schedule a perennial Playoff team on top of our SEC schedule that includes Alabama annually?

maybe they enjoyed playing Oklahoma? Tennessee did dominate them 3/4 of the game in Neyland...and they played respectable against them in Norman.

Oklahoma isn't going to keep UT out of the SEC title game or playoff picture next year if they beat the Vols, it's literally just another good OOC game, like UT has scheduled since the 1960s

Reactions: feathersax
Would rather challenge myself if I were on the team. Wouldn't be going to college to play football if all we played were teams we know we'd beat. Not going to get better playing them. Also games in general aren't really that fun when it's on easy mode.

I do think the best recruits want to play in games against the best teams. Gotta give the people what they want!

Also, Miami scheduled crap teams throughout the 80s and 90s, and had a nasty habit of getting drilled in the post season as much as they succeeded.

Why OU again? Why not an ACC team? Why not another Big 12 team? Why did we have to schedule a perennial Playoff team on top of our SEC schedule that includes Alabama annually?

They got a deal for two home and two away games against a team that they had never played before in the same negotiation. To be the best, you need to beat the best. Personally, I prefer that over sisters of the poor games vs UAB, Charlotte, and whichever in state cupcake gets their turn. What puts more butts in the seats? If you like playing weaker programs, at least you will have more room to sit, less of a traffic jam, better choices of parking spaces, and shorter lines to the concessions and urinals. Enjoy.

Cheer up. They might schedule Kansas next time.

all games matter...

Until eternity? Somewhere in there, I expect Neyland to become a soccer stadium. If the world lasts another 20 years.

VN Store

Back