How do we fire our scheduler?

To be fair to Clemson, it’s not their fault that the entire ACC sucks. They also did play 2 SEC opponents in aTm and USCjr, who also are not great, but that’s not their fault either. Texas A&M was probably the best team they played all year.

When have South Carolina or Texas A&M been playoff contenders? Clemson is smart, they schedule a "named" opponent that isn't really scary. (Well they have to play South Carolina but this rule goes with Texas A&M). Tennessee should have scheduled a different Big12 team like Texas Tech or Kansas State. Still a "named" opponent but not Oklahoma level. The smart schools schedule teams they can beat.

I see it clearly, you're afraid of competition. Tennessee has and always will schedule good teams because that's what people want to pay to see. Have you ever noticed that when they play these teams, the stadium is always sold out no matter how good UT is. Think about it.

North Carolina or Virginia Tech are "good" teams. However, they are beatable teams. We should be scheduling beatable teams. I agree with scheduling Power 5 teams, but not the best team year in and year out in the Big12 and B1G (we have Ohio State coming as well). We are not the best team year in and year out in the SEC. We should be playing mid-tier teams from B1G and Big12 like Kansas State, Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa State, Texas Tech, etc.

When have South Carolina or Texas A&M been playoff contenders? Clemson is smart, they schedule a "named" opponent that isn't really scary. (Well they have to play South Carolina but this rule goes with Texas A&M). Tennessee should have scheduled a different Big12 team like Texas Tech or Kansas State. Still a "named" opponent but not Oklahoma level. The smart schools schedule teams they can beat.

Our scheduling isn’t all that different from Clemson. We’ve had Cal, UCLA, Oregon, and Oklahoma from the PAC12 and Big XII, they’ve had Bama, UGA, Auburn, aTm and South Carolina from the SEC. That’s 3 contenders, 1 pretty good team and 1 middle of the pack team.

The risks in playing the Texas Techs and Kansas States of the world far outweigh the reward. We haven’t been good enough to assume a win against about 80% of the P5 schools, so why go on the road to Lubbock for a sleepy 11 AM kickoff for 2 unranked teams on ESPNU and possibly lose a game that doesn’t even help in recruiting?

Also, we have no business doing a home and home in Indiana with any school other than Notre Dame, nor should we with any school from the B1G West other than Wisconsin or Nebraska (which I believe is scheduled on a few years).

Reactions: Rickyvol77
North Carolina or Virginia Tech are "good" teams. However, they are beatable teams. We should be scheduling beatable teams. I agree with scheduling Power 5 teams, but not the best team year in and year out in the Big12 and B1G (we have Ohio State coming as well). We are not the best team year in and year out in the SEC. We should be playing mid-tier teams from B1G and Big12 like Kansas State, Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa State, Texas Tech, etc.

So what you’re saying is big teams like Oregon, OSU, and Oklahoma schedule teams like us because they know they’ll beat us. Finally, we get to the heart of the matter. All I can say is it’s about time our fan base came to grips about our football program. We are appetizers for teams like the Sooners prepping for bigger games in conference, bowls or the playoffs. UT might have more talent in 2020. We should display our improvement in getting better results against our big 3 SEC rivals. Those games will make us better. Without getting waxed by a non conference opponent.

Why are we playing Oklahoma next year? Why are we scheduling Oregon and Ohio State but dumping North Carolina?

Honestly!!! Alabama plays Duke and we play Oklahoma. It should be swapped.

We should play other struggling programs like us such as Nebraska, UCLA, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech again, etc. I am tired of seeing us play teams that are going to drill us. Let Alabama, LSU, and Georgia schedule them.
Dude, you lost to Georgia State? Who do you want to play?

You're just terrified of being beat. I would pay to see UT vs Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame, ect without hesitation. I would not pay to see them play Purdue or any mid tier team, unless the tickets were cheap. It's about money bro. As long as the tickets are being sold at premium prices, they will schedule these teams to rake in the money. They don't loook at how good x team is vs x team. They look at how much money they can make from scheduling x team vs x team.

Got the hotel in Norman booked! Getting tickets ASAP after the holidays! Guy that scheduled this series is already gone fwiw.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Why are we playing Oklahoma next year? Why are we scheduling Oregon and Ohio State but dumping North Carolina?

Honestly!!! Alabama plays Duke and we play Oklahoma. It should be swapped.

We should play other struggling programs like us such as Nebraska, UCLA, Miami, Duke, Virginia Tech again, etc. I am tired of seeing us play teams that are going to drill us. Let Alabama, LSU, and Georgia schedule them.
Tennessee plays anybody, anytime and anywhere. That’s the nature of the Volunteer program and a point of pride for most Vol fans IMHO.

We handled Miss State. Miss State should've beaten Kansas State. K-State beat Oklahoma. We can hang with Oklahoma, if we play a good game, in all phases.

Big OOC opponents make the university money. Regardless of that, I have a feeling that you may be more amped for Oklahoma in a few months than you are now. You can't schedule games like this each year. I think this is going to fall in the Vols' favor, because I think Riley is gone. Hurts is gone, and the team will be in disarray.

Our scheduling isn’t all that different from Clemson..

lmao

In order to be the best you gotta beat the best. I have spoken.

Not in the regular season you don't. Just ask Clemson. You can play cupcakes all year and get into the playoffs. Then just win your final two games against 'the best' to be national champs.

I have spoken.

Reactions: CrybabyVol
lmao

Not in the regular season you don't. Just ask Clemson. You can play cupcakes all year and get into the playoffs. Then just win your final two games against 'the best' to be national champs.

I have spoken.

I was talking about in the past 10 years OOC games. How is that LMAO?

Reactions: Behr
I was talking about in the past 10 years OOC games. How is that LMAO?
Well, to start with, we play Alabama, UGA and South Carolina EVERY YEAR. So regardless that Clemson has played them once or so in the last ten years, it still doesn't matter. They NEED out of conference competition, because they have a crappy cupcake schedule. We don't. Hence, lmao (and not LMAO, I didn't capitalize).

Well, to start with, we play Alabama, UGA and South Carolina EVERY YEAR. So regardless that Clemson has played them once or so in the last ten years, it still doesn't matter. They NEED out of conference competition, because they have a crappy cupcake schedule. We don't. Hence, lmao (and not LMAO, I didn't capitalize).
Fair point

You're just terrified of being beat. I would pay to see UT vs Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame, ect without hesitation. I would not pay to see them play Purdue or any mid tier team, unless the tickets were cheap. It's about money bro. As long as the tickets are being sold at premium prices, they will schedule these teams to rake in the money. They don't loook at how good x team is vs x team. They look at how much money they can make from scheduling x team vs x team.
We are on our way back. Our D should be good enough to keep this game close w/ Oklahoma. These are good games for us when we've got a decent team, and next year we should have a decent team. I'd rather play Oklahoma than all cup cake U's for OOC.

Reactions: overseasorange2
As the years go by, my memories surrounding football are about the big games, especially the out of conference ones. I really don't remember anything about the 1990 season except the loss to Alabama and to Notre Dame. I can remember that Notre Dame game like it was yesterday and I remember everyone I was at that game with also. I have no idea who else we played that year.

Does anyone remember who we played in 1972? I know we played Penn State. First game in Neyland under the lights and Penn State was undefeated.

I remember the 1994 UCLA game vividly and the 1980 USC game. Of course there was the 1991 Tennessee - Notre Dame game. Would anyone, who is a Tennessee fan, claim that we should have played some cupcake instead of that game?

For me, the mid-major teams are boring and just filler for the season. I was as upset as anyone about the GA State game, but everyone in the football world knows that was an outlier. I want one big out of conference game per year and if we lose, so be it. I will not like it if we lose, but there is a good chance the I will be talking about it with my friends 10 years later.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back