How did you overcome a tough period in life?

I just played golf. I golf quite a bit so that is nice.
Screenshot_20220805-103759.png
This should help you have more confidence in yourself 🤣. I actually dressed like this to mess with everyone when I played in a golf tournament here in Georgia. I was working with a men's recovery home doing bible study once a week, and the guy who owned it had an annual tournament to raise money. I'm not a golfer, so I figured I'd be me, and have some fun, and they loved it. It made them laugh, so it was worth it. I actually found out I could hit the crap out of a ball, further than most. Only thing, nobody knew where it was going 🤣

I skipped over some posts, so apologies if I am repeating things.

Have you saw a behavioral health therapist or a doctor? Have you ever tried medication?

A few years ago, my late 20's, I started experiencing really bad depression. I didn't, and still don't sleep more than a few hours a night. I went to a doctor and was diagnosed bipolar and with manic depression. It certainly is the lowest of lows. I have told maybe 10 people, because it is one of those things I keep to myself. To make things even weirder, I was dating a psych doctor and working at a mental health facility while being diagnosed, so it was kind of random and came from nowhere.

I still have my lows. It is mostly managing how to cope with them and not letting them linger and get worse. I workout every day, I take a small amount of medicine and limit social media and phone usage. Personally, I am against taking lots of medicine, but I just don't like the side effects. I do what I have to do to keep myself occupied and on a routine. The weekends are actually harder just because they break that routine and send my brain spinning. When at my worst, I try to surround myself with my true friends and also get away and go camping. I am not an outdoors person, but my family own a bunch of land in the middle of nowhere, so I sometimes go spend a day or so and turn my phone off and spend some time alone. I am religious, so I like to spend that time praying. I'm sure you could spend time meditating or collecting your thoughts.

Hello everyone,

I am feeling down, so I figured I would post in here again. What is your mood like the day you are about to go back to work?

Those are always my darkest days. I wonder: "Why do I keep going to a job where I do the same thing over and over again?" "What is my purpose?" "What's the use?"

I do not know why I was placed on this Earth. That is a crappy feeling. I believe in nothing. My negativity has spilled over into my love of sports. I am about to work 5 days in a row doing something that I just get made fun of for all the time. None of this is good.

I guess I will post some good things about this week even though I don't feel great about them:

- I went to the gym twice this week
- I cooked for myself some
- I did not let my emotions get the best of me after several bad golf shots
- I went to therapy
- I cleaned my living room
- I did not drink myself to sickness
- I went to the grocery store

I feel selfish for posting about my troubles with so many problems in the world, but here we are. Anyway, I hope everyone is having a good Thursday.

This is where you have to acquire some self-confidence. I used to worry about things like this all of the time. Now, I purposely put myself in difficult situations just so I become more comfortable in criticism and handling things.

I just played golf. I golf quite a bit so that is nice.
Why not volunteer to work at a golf tournament? From reading this thread you appear to be very isolated. Your young and physically healthy and only work 4 days a week and are lonely. What things can you get involved in that aren’t self-focused where you are giving back to your community or helping folks in need? Everyone needs a purpose in life beyond self gratification in order to have a healthy degree of self worth. Many folks do this by finding a spouse and raising a family. Lots get involved in faith based organizations helping others. Some work with the youth. Make a commitment to seeking out these types of activities that most appeal to you then get out there and start trying. If the first experience isn’t any good, try something else. Next thing you know you will make some relationships with like minded folks which will fill your life more. spending your non working hours in an apartment self medicating with drugs or alcohol is a path to unhappiness. I have folks in my circle who share some of what you’ve been feeling so I realize first hand that it’s an ongoing struggle - I wish you a happy life and I believe it’s there for you to have if you will decide to go after it!

I hate I'm just now seeing this thread.

2020 and 2021 were some of the darkest days I've ever had. Isolated myself, was nearly unapproachable at work. Distant with family and friends. Got to the point I was harming myself almost daily. Depression/anxiety nearly consumed me. Bounced around to different therapists, but couldn't ever quite find the right one. I kept plugging away (for one person, but also out of spite and stubbornness lol) and finally found one that clicked for me.

She helped me see better what was going on, and helped me understand that medication might help me. I started on a low dose of a simple/generic anti-depressant December 2021.

Changed my whole life. 2022 was the first time I've felt ok in probably 20 years or more. Felt like I finally had my hands back on the wheel.

It can get better. It absolutely can. Counseling, medication, activity, even a pet are all things that helped me.

2020 and 2021 were some of the darkest days I've ever had. Isolated myself, was nearly unapproachable at work. Distant with family and friends. Got to the point I was harming myself almost daily. Depression/anxiety nearly consumed me. Bounced around to different therapists, but couldn't ever quite find the right one. I kept plugging away (for one person, but also out of spite and stubbornness lol) and finally found one that clicked for me.

She helped me see better what was going on, and helped me understand that medication might help me. I started on a low dose of a simple/generic anti-depressant December 2021.

Changed my whole life. 2022 was the first time I've felt ok in probably 20 years or more. Felt like I finally had my hands back on the wheel.

It can get better. It absolutely can. Counseling, medication, activity, even a pet are all things that helped me.
Glad you got help

Good for you!

Hey @Adam2014 how are you doing?

The holidays can be a stressful time even when things are going well.

I hope everyone is doing ok.
I appreciate you checking in. I have had a hello of a year, I feel like. I started a new job in April 2022 and I am now in Youngstown, Ohio working as a meteorologist. There are good days and bad days like anything else, but I have dedicated a decent amount of time to become a better human.

I am working out, I am trying to eat better, and I am trying to keep a clean apartment. It does not always work out like that, but it is life.

I have also started volunteering a little, because that is a good thing. All things considered, I am in a better place than I was a year ago and I am thankful for that.

I appreciate you checking in. I have had a hello of a year, I feel like. I started a new job in April 2022 and I am now in Youngstown, Ohio working as a meteorologist. There are good days and bad days like anything else, but I have dedicated a decent amount of time to become a better human.

I am working out, I am trying to eat better, and I am trying to keep a clean apartment. It does not always work out like that, but it is life.

I have also started volunteering a little, because that is a good thing. All things considered, I am in a better place than I was a year ago and I am thankful for that.
Great to hear man, keep fighting, and we'll keep praying

Great news man. Feel free to check in every once and a while.

As you have hopefully seen some other people have responded to this thread with their own tales. A little bit of sharing can be contagious, you never know what will work, or what someone else needs to hear, so checking in can be good.

And bump for anybody that needs a mental health check.

I admit I have had some dark days recently. After 15 years of self medicating with weed, I finally stopped smoking/vaping it. It used to help a lot with my anxiety, especially with sleep. Then I started worrying about my health and so instead of relieving anxiety, it was making it worse. So I quit, and my anxiety was at an all-time high. It was freaking me out. That lasted about a week. I'm doing great now (week 5). I was pretty fearful I'd replace my habit by increasing alcohol consumption or binge eating, but I have stayed strong.

I'm the type who doesn't talk about it when I'm in the thick of it, so here I am now.

I admit I have had some dark days recently. After 15 years of self medicating with weed, I finally stopped smoking/vaping it. It used to help a lot with my anxiety, especially with sleep. Then I started worrying about my health and so instead of relieving anxiety, it was making it worse. So I quit, and my anxiety was at an all-time high. It was freaking me out. That lasted about a week. I'm doing great now (week 5). I was pretty fearful I'd replace my habit by increasing alcohol consumption or binge eating, but I have stayed strong.

I'm the type who doesn't talk about it when I'm in the thick of it, so here I am now.

That is excellent news huff!. In the past, I was an avid user of ganja. Luckily, the herb hasn't been a part of my life for over 12 years now (Not counting the Vegas slip up in 2015). The difference in stamina along with motivation is night and day. If you get the urge, work out or jam to some music as a release.

I'm glad its working out for you.

and I definitely agree, anyone/everyone is welcome to reach out however they need/want to.

I was very stressed out for a couple months with work deadlines, buying a house, getting repairs done to the house, coordinating about a dozen different events/plans over a very short time. I ended up getting "sick", doctors still aren't sure what it is. They are thinking ulcers likely caused by stress. I haven't been able to work out in at least 2 months. I was afraid I was going to gain a lot of weight. Thankfully I haven't gained any weight, but I have definitely lost muscle mass, so technically I am gaining fat, which stresses me out. But I am finally starting to get through all the life craziness, and trying to get officially cleared medically.

I'm glad its working out for you.

and I definitely agree, anyone/everyone is welcome to reach out however they need/want to.

I was very stressed out for a couple months with work deadlines, buying a house, getting repairs done to the house, coordinating about a dozen different events/plans over a very short time. I ended up getting "sick", doctors still aren't sure what it is. They are thinking ulcers likely caused by stress. I haven't been able to work out in at least 2 months. I was afraid I was going to gain a lot of weight. Thankfully I haven't gained any weight, but I have definitely lost muscle mass, so technically I am gaining fat, which stresses me out. But I am finally starting to get through all the life craziness, and trying to get officially cleared medically.

Yeah, I haven't totally been able to figure out what's wrong with me but health concerns were driving a lot of my anxiety. Seems like I may have intercostal neuralgia, which is hard to diagnose but not too worrisome. Passed a CT scan that eliminated some of the bigger concerns. I am also having weird neck pain (muscle tension on front of neck) and the days where it is worst are followed by neuropathy in my face and neck. It's scary but doctors seem to think it's just bad posture at my desk while I work. Starting up PT for that.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Why is it so hard to talk about things when we are in the thick of things?
I’m the same way.

Why is it so hard to talk about things when we are in the thick of things?
I’m the same way.

I did talk to a couple people but mostly I just try to carry everything myself. My wife worries a lot and that's why I keep my mouth shut when I do. I didn't tell her anything about any of this until I was having anxiety from quitting weed. I realized I had to tell her everything so that I wouldn't buckle and start smoking again. Pride is probably why I don't offer it up to most people, but now I'm proud of quitting which is probably why I'm comfortable mentioning it.

That is excellent news huff!. In the past, I was an avid user of ganja. Luckily, the herb hasn't been a part of my life for over 12 years now (Not counting the Vegas slip up in 2015). The difference in stamina along with motivation is night and day. If you get the urge, work out or jam to some music as a release.

I have had such a love relationship with weed, it was like losing a friend. Admittedly, my life was in the shitter when I started smoking. The only good thing was my wife. My career was dogshit, I was a college dropout, on top of that I wasn't really educating myself with extra curriculars, and I was getting sloppy physically. Not that weed fixed any of that, but I fixed it all in spite of the fact that I was newly a pothead. So I never felt like it was ruining anything for me except my long term health, which became more of a reality over time. I know I'll enjoy a celebratory joint from time to time. I'll enjoy edibles probably monthly (I don't like them for frequent use), but I'm done with the habit. Not going back.

I'm actually glad that this was bumped. I read a little bit of the thread. I've had my share of ups and downs with mental health since I was a kid. I won't go into great detail about it,but I've dealt with OCD (diagnosed) , depression and anxiety for quite some time. The OCD has reared its ugly head recently. I've done a great job managing it,but it's been exhausting lately.

When any stressful trigger comes along, it can show up. This time, it's just become a little harder to manage. Like all things, with time and ways to manage it,it will pass. First of all,having a great support system and my faith is what gets me through it. That and plenty of exercise whether it's a brisk walk,hike or swim. Journaling helps as well. Also, therapy. Not trying to over share too much,but I think I needed it.

VN Store

Back