How did you overcome a tough period in life?

Well, I broke my second golf club of the year yesterday. I am just not in a good place mentally.
Hopefully you were playing golf at the time. Venting on a inanimate object can be a good thing....hopefully it wasn't a Scotty Cameron putter ;)
I'm praying that a spirit of peace will enter your soul.

Thought this was as good a place as any to post this.

Starting this Saturday July 16 2022

988 goes into effect as the National Suicide Hotline.

95FE5528-F448-4FB9-BE9A-DAADCAA685FA.png

The Lifeline and 988

988 has been designated as the new three-digit dialing code that will route callers to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. While some areas may be currently able to connect to the Lifeline by dialing 988, this dialing code will be available to everyone across the United States starting on July 16, 2022.

When people call, text, or chat 988, they will be connected to trained counselors that are part of the existing National Suicide Prevention Lifeline network. These trained counselors will listen, understand how their problems are affecting them, provide support, and connect them to resources if necessary.

Hello everyone,

I am feeling down, so I figured I would post in here again. What is your mood like the day you are about to go back to work?

Those are always my darkest days. I wonder: "Why do I keep going to a job where I do the same thing over and over again?" "What is my purpose?" "What's the use?"

I do not know why I was placed on this Earth. That is a crappy feeling. I believe in nothing. My negativity has spilled over into my love of sports. I am about to work 5 days in a row doing something that I just get made fun of for all the time. None of this is good.

I guess I will post some good things about this week even though I don't feel great about them:

- I went to the gym twice this week
- I cooked for myself some
- I did not let my emotions get the best of me after several bad golf shots
- I went to therapy
- I cleaned my living room
- I did not drink myself to sickness
- I went to the grocery store

I feel selfish for posting about my troubles with so many problems in the world, but here we are. Anyway, I hope everyone is having a good Thursday.

Hello everyone,

I am feeling down, so I figured I would post in here again. What is your mood like the day you are about to go back to work?

Those are always my darkest days. I wonder: "Why do I keep going to a job where I do the same thing over and over again?" "What is my purpose?" "What's the use?"

I do not know why I was placed on this Earth. That is a crappy feeling. I believe in nothing. My negativity has spilled over into my love of sports. I am about to work 5 days in a row doing something that I just get made fun of for all the time. None of this is good.

I guess I will post some good things about this week even though I don't feel great about them:

- I went to therapy

I feel selfish for posting about my troubles with so many problems in the world, but here we are. Anyway, I hope everyone is having a good Thursday.
Thanks for sharing and reaching out Adam. Seriously.

Imo it is very important to recognize when you are down. No one else can feel your emotions but you, and its important that you do feel them. It's like being sick with anything. You usually dont want to be sick, dont like the symptoms, but when you go to the doctor you have to be honest about all of it if you want to get better.

I always say the most difficult thing I do all day is get out of bed. I like my.job, I dont even mind the day to day in it or when it gets stressful. I just hate that I HAVE to do it everyday. I say I like having something to do, but not having to do something. Not the same issue you face, but i get the struggle.

As to the why am I here, why do we do this type of question. The best answer I have is to be yourself. You are here to be you. Yeah it's probably not sexy, yeah you will never be the set piece for a movie, video game, book, or even podcast. But so what? I recognized that I have to take care of myself. Yeah my problems are small, but obviously they matter to me, or else I wouldnt be bothered. So yeah you should deal with even your "small" issues. They world will roll on whether or not you take care of yourself, so I would argue to take care of yourself regardless of what the world does.

It's like being interested in something. You like it, so why does it matter if someone else doesn't?

I wish I knew what to say to help you feel better. All I can suggest is to take care of what is important to you. Start with that stuff too, dont leave it to when you have time or when you wont feel guilty about it. Just do it, take care of yourself, whatever that means.

Dont give up being you.

I have found that having something mindless to do helps me. As I was thinking about what to say abive I went on a walk and brought a tennis ball to bounce. Yeah it was in the heart of Buckhead with plenty of rich people and my bosses could see, but the tennis ball works.

Hello everyone,

- I went to therapy

Depression can be genetic.
However, with the world we live in, there are plenty of external factors to drive us into all kinds of depression.

The majority or the world has some level of it. I firmly believe that

My suggestion is this: Therapy is excellent, just remember that YOU always have the ability to make your state of mind better. Happier.

Go for a hike. God, hiking the Appalachian Trail is an awesome experience ❤.

Go make a new friend somewhere else outside your sphere.

Go stargazing in the desert.
Visit a retirement home and volunteer to feed the homeless.

Your plights shouldn't be minimized because the world is on fire. You're a part of this world as well. And if YOU find a way to become happy, then others can too.

I certainly don’t make fun of our local weather forecasters. In fact, that section of the local news is the one I pay the most attention to.

Purpose of life is a tough one that everyone has to determine for themselves. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve decided that helping others even in small ways is something I can do. My faith guides me also. If I can help someone via my work, encouragement, support, I want to try. I also don’t want anything in return. I wish you the best as you tackle this and fight through depression.

Thanks for sharing and reaching out Adam. Seriously.

Imo it is very important to recognize when you are down. No one else can feel your emotions but you, and its important that you do feel them. It's like being sick with anything. You usually dont want to be sick, dont like the symptoms, but when you go to the doctor you have to be honest about all of it if you want to get better.

I always say the most difficult thing I do all day is get out of bed. I like my.job, I dont even mind the day to day in it or when it gets stressful. I just hate that I HAVE to do it everyday. I say I like having something to do, but not having to do something. Not the same issue you face, but i get the struggle.

As to the why am I here, why do we do this type of question. The best answer I have is to be yourself. You are here to be you. Yeah it's probably not sexy, yeah you will never be the set piece for a movie, video game, book, or even podcast. But so what? I recognized that I have to take care of myself. Yeah my problems are small, but obviously they matter to me, or else I wouldnt be bothered. So yeah you should deal with even your "small" issues. They world will roll on whether or not you take care of yourself, so I would argue to take care of yourself regardless of what the world does.

It's like being interested in something. You like it, so why does it matter if someone else doesn't?

I wish I knew what to say to help you feel better. All I can suggest is to take care of what is important to you. Start with that stuff too, dont leave it to when you have time or when you wont feel guilty about it. Just do it, take care of yourself, whatever that means.

Dont give up being you.
I really appreciate this response. I think your thoughts about getting out of bed are similar with mine. I have to get out of bed at 2 AM tonight and that is going to be hard as hell.

I thought I did a good job of being myself today, so I really liked your thoughts about that.

You helped me with this and I thank you.

Also OP - why would anyone make fun of a weather forecaster, and how do you know this ?
There are a lot of people that believe a that I have no idea what I am doing. The classic line is: "They are wrong 80% of the time and still get to keep their job". Most of the time it does not bother me, but it keeps building up and building up. It makes me not want to do it anymore.

Reactions: LouderVol
Depression can be genetic.
However, with the world we live in, there are plenty of external factors to drive us into all kinds of depression.

The majority or the world has some level of it. I firmly believe that

My suggestion is this: Therapy is excellent, just remember that YOU always have the ability to make your state of mind better. Happier.

Go for a hike. God, hiking the Appalachian Trail is an awesome experience ❤.

Go make a new friend somewhere else outside your sphere.

Go stargazing in the desert.
Visit a retirement home and volunteer to feed the homeless.

Your plights shouldn't be minimized because the world is on fire. You're a part of this world as well. And if YOU find a way to become happy, then others can too.
Thank you for this, LittleVol. You are right, I think getting out and helping some people in need would help a lot.

I certainly don’t make fun of our local weather forecasters. In fact, that section of the local news is the one I pay the most attention to.

Purpose of life is a tough one that everyone has to determine for themselves. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve decided that helping others even in small ways is something I can do. My faith guides me also. If I can help someone via my work, encouragement, support, I want to try. I also don’t want anything in return. I wish you the best as you tackle this and fight through depression.
Thank you. I am going to make it a point to help someone in need this week.

Adam, I think I know what you mean as far as questioning one's reason for being. I've been there several times, and there's always this undercurrent of the same in the back of my mind...basically asking myself what the actual point of life is, since I didn't want it or choose it to begin with...I had no say in the matter and frankly if I had (and had the benefit of my experiences as a reference), I wouldn't be here typing this because I'd have opted out before I drew my first breath. But that's the catch-22 (paradox, even?), because had I the option to make that call at the cusp of the onset of life, I wouldn't have had any experiences on which to base my decision. So here I am, existing and such. Maybe due to stubbornness, but here nonetheless.

What I have found helpful for my frame of mind is "good" distraction...some (non-harmful) activity or thing that demands my focus and draws my attention and mind away from my personal perception of life's ultimate futility...trout fishing, kayaking, hiking, reading an interesting book and expanding the ol knowledge base, etc. Your mileage may vary, but as inertia is a helluva thing to overcome, I've had to force myself to get out and do those things from time to time, but I never regret doing so.

Hang in there, man. Be you, be present for the folks who matter to you, and know that you do matter and your contributions (at work and otherwise) to the world are greater than you think.

Last edited:
There are a lot of people that believe a that I have no idea what I am doing. The classic line is: "They are wrong 80% of the time and still get to keep their job". Most of the time it does not bother me, but it keeps building up and building up. It makes me not want to do it anymore.
That's stuff has been said for years I bet the tune changes when there is severe weather and you actually can save lives

Adam, I think I know what you mean as far as questioning one's reason for being. I've been there several times, and there's always this undercurrent of the same in the back of my mind...basically asking myself what the actual point of life is, since I didn't want it or choose it to begin with...I had no say in the matter and frankly if I had (and had the benefit of the story of my existence as a reference), I wouldn't be here typing this because I'd have opted out before I drew my first breath. But that's the catch-22 (paradox, even?), because had I the option to make that call at the cusp of the onset of life, I wouldn't have had any experiences on which to base my decision. So here I am, existing and such. Maybe due to stubbornness, but here nonetheless.

What I have found helpful for my frame of mind is "good" distraction...some (non-harmful) activity or thing that demands my focus and draws my attention and mind away from my personal perception of life's ultimate futility...trout fishing, kayaking, hiking, reading an interesting book and expanding the ol knowledge base, etc. Your mileage may vary, but as inertia is a helluva thing to overcome. I've had to force myself to get out and do those things from time to time, but I never regret doing so.

Hang in there, man. Be you, be present for the folks who matter to you, and know that you do matter and your contributions (at work and otherwise) to the world are greater than you think.
Ya know, I was thinking about this today. I think the best way to quieten my mind is to get out there and do things. Everyone needs rest, but I think I just need to be out there doing more.

I work a wild schedule which makes things difficult:

SAT/SUN (4 AM - 2 PM)
MON/TUES (1:40 PM - 11: 40 PM)

With that schedule, I am just going to be tired some days. However, I can always rest up on my three off days. I just need to get out there and do more.

Thank you for the post.

That's stuff has been said for years I bet the tune changes when there is severe weather and you actually can save lives
Sure, it changes. However, that does not make those comments better. I just want to tell them to shut the hell up, but then I would get "you can't take a joke".

Reactions: VolFaninFla
1) I have seeked professional help. I really like my therapist, but I am having a hard time turning the discussions we have into actions.
2) I am not religious.
3) Thank you for responding.
You still have a hole in your heart. Time to talk to a pastor about Jesus.

Reactions: A.J. and joevol33
Sure, it changes. However, that does not make those comments better. I just want to tell them to shut the hell up, but then I would get "you can't take a joke".
It's very hard to let go of negative things that impact you personally, but you gotta understand, your worth isn't valued on what other people say. I know that's easier said than done, but you have to know you have purpose, even if it feels like you haven't found it yet. I know you're not religious, but I encourage you to read (Google it) philippians chapter 4 verses 6-8. It talks about having the ultimate peace of God. Again, I know you're not a believer, but look at verse 8, it's solid advice, even from a non religious point of view. Fill your mind with the good things about your life, not the negative. I hope and pray you feel better, and get past this. Keep doing what you have to, see your dr., post here and vent, whatever it takes.

Hello everyone,

- I went to therapy

Adam - is it possible your questioning what purpose you serve in life and why you keep going to work because your life is self focused? It appears your not taking care of anyone else from your posts? If you quit going to work you would eventually run out of money and get evicted and not be able to buy food and other essentials. That would be a huge motivator for most but maybe you have a safety net to fall on in your family? Imagine if you were supporting a spouse and maybe children - paying the bills becomes a greater priority. If you can’t find love out there, you can always find folks in need who you can start helping. Become part of a volunteer service organization. Once a person starts caring about helping others verses everything you do is just for yourself then they start viewing their life as being more meaningful.

I wish you the very best on your journey to happiness and I believe you’ll find your answers once you learn to love others.

Reactions: Freak and Adam2014
Adam - is it possible your questioning what purpose you serve in life and why you keep going to work because your life is self focused? It appears your not taking care of anyone else from your posts? If you quit going to work you would eventually run out of money and get evicted and not be able to buy food and other essentials. That would be a huge motivator for most but maybe you have a safety net to fall on in your family? Imagine if you were supporting a spouse and maybe children - paying the bills becomes a greater priority. If you can’t find love out there, you can always find folks in need who you can start helping. Become part of a volunteer service organization. Once a person starts caring about helping others verses everything you do is just for yourself then they start viewing their life as being more meaningful.

I wish you the very best on your journey to happiness and I believe you’ll find your answers once you learn to love others.
I have thought about this before. While I cannot imagine having someone else to take care of, it probably would be good for me to give something back to people in need.

Reactions: walkenvol
Don’t sweat the haters. You get paid to be on TV and work around hot chicks. They are just jealous.

I have thought about this before. While I cannot imagine having someone else to take care of, it probably would be good for me to give something back to people in need.
Did you play any sports in hs? If so, try signing up to officiate. Good officials are always needed and it allows you to reconnect to something you enjoyed

Did you play any sports in hs? If so, try signing up to officiate. Good officials are always needed and it allows you to reconnect to something you enjoyed
I just played golf. I golf quite a bit so that is nice.

VN Store

Back