How did you overcome a tough period in life?

Why is it so hard to talk about things when we are in the thick of things?
I’m the same way.

Ditto, my friend. For me at least, there's the double-edged sword constructed in my mind that a) others don't care to hear about my problems, perhaps because they haven't been in the same position and b) "other" others have been through similar situations and they are done with thinking about and/or reliving them vicariously. Basically, I subconsciously talk myself out of opening up like that.

Ditto, my friend. For me at least, there's the double-edged sword constructed in my mind that a) others don't care to hear about my problems, perhaps because they haven't been in the same position and b) "other" others have been through similar situations and they are done with thinking about and/or reliving them vicariously. Basically, I subconsciously talk myself out of opening up like that.

I've been there.... I used to have that mindset and I didn't want to be a burden to anyone else,but finding out that others are willing to listen and help as well as the fact that I wouldn't be bottling it all up anymore meant a lot to me. It still does.

It's hard as a guy, not meaning that to downplay what women go through at all. I just know more women who will talk about things, vs men who will. We feel like we're going to show weakness if we do, I've been there, especially when I almost lost my wife. I didn't want her, the kids, church people, or coworkers to think I was weak. I didn't want to talk about how scared I was, but my best friend would call me every night, literally. He'd just tell me he was there, and he loved me. I know that's weird to most guys, and I only replied with I appreciate it for a bit. He kept on, and I finally just let it out, and it sincerely felt relieving to tell him how scared I was. I posted about it here, but it's different when you really open up to someone in person, phone, etc, about how you're really feeling.

*note: “you” here doesn’t mean Joe or anyone specifically else on this thread. Just guys.
I get that guys are like this, but I’ll never understand it. To me, it’s “weak” (I hate this word, but it’s your usage) to NOT admit that you’re scared, or confused, or depressed, and to invite support or help.

It seems so fingers-in-ears, la-la-la; not confronting and dealing with the pain in your lives. How is anything supposed to get better?

I’m not criticizing. I’m just sad that you guys have bought into this whole invincible act. Maybe it’s sort of ok when you have your dad hat on, but not when it’s with the partner you’ve chosen to share your life with.

It’s NOT reassuring to most women (don’t know about other guys.) It doesn’t look strong and reassuring; it looks fearful.

IMO JMO TIFWIW YMMV MPG BBQ

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting in the off-topic forum, but I have a question for all of you. When is a time that you conquered a tough period in your life? I am struggling with some awful depression right now and nothing seems to be working. I guess I was just wondering if any of you had some advice?

I hope you all are having a wonderful Tuesday.
I feel ya on this I battled thru some bad depression last year went thru a bad divorce lost my world and lost my job then was in a bad wreck and was laid up with back issues for a couple of months. Everything hit me at once and for the first time in my life I felt suicidal but I reconnected with certain things in life that I used to enjoy like hiking and fishing which helped I went to a therapist and that really helped along with reconnecting with my parents. I prayed alot. I’m not extremely religious but I do believe in prayer. I did switch mood medications which probaly helped the most but those are some things that helped me get thru the toughest part of my life so far. And yes I know it’s just a sport but Tennessee football having their best season last year in many years helped me too get thru the depression.

*note: “you” here doesn’t mean Joe or anyone specifically else on this thread. Just guys.
I get that guys are like this, but I’ll never understand it. To me, it’s “weak” (I hate this word, but it’s your usage) to NOT admit that you’re scared, or confused, or depressed, and to invite support or help.

It seems so fingers-in-ears, la-la-la; not confronting and dealing with the pain in your lives. How is anything supposed to get better?

I’m not criticizing. I’m just sad that you guys have bought into this whole invincible act. Maybe it’s sort of ok when you have your dad hat on, but not when it’s with the partner you’ve chosen to share your life with.

It’s NOT reassuring to most women (don’t know about other guys.) It doesn’t look strong and reassuring; it looks fearful.

IMO JMO TIFWIW YMMV MPG BBQ
I agree, it's just infused in us for some reason. The suicide rate for men between about 20-40 is so sad, and I'd say a lot of it could be prevented if men would open up and talk.

I feel ya on this I battled thru some bad depression last year went thru a bad divorce lost my world and lost my job then was in a bad wreck and was laid up with back issues for a couple of months. Everything hit me at once and for the first time in my life I felt suicidal but I reconnected with certain things in life that I used to enjoy like hiking and fishing which helped I went to a therapist and that really helped along with reconnecting with my parents. I prayed alot. I’m not extremely religious but I do believe in prayer. I did switch mood medications which probaly helped the most but those are some things that helped me get thru the toughest part of my life so far. And yes I know it’s just a sport but Tennessee football having their best season last year in many years helped me too get thru the depression.

Damn, that's a lot. How are you doing these days?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
This is such a timely bump. I just ended things with my fiance. She nor I did anything wrong, we just aren't what the other needs. On top of me dealing with the loss, she is messaging me about hurting herself. It was nice to read that I'm not the only person with problems.
And I'm not religious, but thoughts and prayers for her would be great. And any good vibes anyone could send would be helpful also.
I moved overseas and am currently on an island (figuratively and literally) and don't have my normal support system in place.

I've dealt with major depression and PTSD for a long time, but having someone tell you they want to die is unbearable.

This is such a timely bump. I just ended things with my fiance. She nor I did anything wrong, we just aren't what the other needs. On top of me dealing with the loss, she is messaging me about hurting herself. It was nice to read that I'm not the only person with problems.
And I'm not religious, but thoughts and prayers for her would be great. And any good vibes anyone could send would be helpful also.
I moved overseas and am currently on an island (figuratively and literally) and don't have my normal support system in place.

I've dealt with major depression and PTSD for a long time, but having someone tell you they want to die is unbearable.

Good vibes sent! I'm sorry to hear you're having to work through that, but I understand where you're coming from in terms of that realization re: needs. That is a pill I am having to learn how to ingest as well...it's tough when neither party is at fault...to me, it almost hurts more in a way as crazy as it may sound. As far as your ex-fiance talking about hurting herself, are there any members of her family who you're still in contact with and on reasonably good terms? Letting them know would be a kind thing to do, as they could be in a better position (both geographically and emotionally) to offer her support.

Does the island you're on have a decent-sized population, or any expat groups you'd be able to get involved with? Sometimes, I've found that a conversation with a perfect stranger about anything other than what's bothering oneself can be at the very least least a temporary distraction, and occasionally develop into a friendship (thus building a degree of support while you are away).

You might want to notify/show EMS about the messages - you have to take them serious

Yeah, I haven't totally been able to figure out what's wrong with me but health concerns were driving a lot of my anxiety. Seems like I may have intercostal neuralgia, which is hard to diagnose but not too worrisome. Passed a CT scan that eliminated some of the bigger concerns. I am also having weird neck pain (muscle tension on front of neck) and the days where it is worst are followed by neuropathy in my face and neck. It's scary but doctors seem to think it's just bad posture at my desk while I work. Starting up PT for that.
I don't know if the unknown health thing is necessarily making me anxious in the classical sense. Its just something that nags at me, as I have learned to cope with my issues by attacking them straight on. With this being an unknown there isn't anything for me to do. so I guess subconsciously I am worried I will slip back into the worst parts of my depression where I didn't address my issues.

This is a tough situation. My buddy went through something similar and he had to come to the realization that you can't be somebody's savior. You have to worry about yourself first, and what's right for you. You end up doing both of you a disservice by staying together because the other person is too co-dependent. He went through the death of her adult son with her and stayed too long after it wasn't right. It takes maturity and strength to maintain the breakup. What were they going to do? Get married just because she was sad and then be less than happy together? No. You gotta both move on and find happiness apart. It's easier said than done. Good luck.

Also, when I broke up with my first serious college GF, we maintained contact and she was a mess. One time she abrutly hung up on me with the implication that she might hurt herself. I called her parents immediately. She never pulled that **** again.

@joevol24 you know her better than anyone and how she might react. If she threatens to hurt herself, the right move might be to have first responders show up. Or at least tell her that you will do it if she threatens that again "because I care and I don't know what else to do." Maybe she's manipulating you. Maybe she's being serious. Either way, you don't have many moves and this may be the best one in either case.

Why is it so hard to talk about things when we are in the thick of things?
I’m the same way.
for me, and I think a lot of guys, its that we were taught/raised/socially pressured to never be a burden on others. We are supposed to be the strong ones, we aren't "supposed" to have feelings. In my family I am the oldest, and only boy, so I was always held up as an example to my younger sisters, so I needed to "perfect" for them. that was almost explicitly noted as not telling them about my failures or issues as that could set them on the wrong path.

Pride is definitely part of it, but its also pride in our assumed role.

I have been reading up a lot on the inferred links between our evolution and how it impacts the societal roles of various demographics, the oldest, the males, the skilled worker vs the general laborer, etc, etc. and one of the things that has been brought up is that most male relationships are formed on this shared lack of burdening the other. Males typically dealt with the external threats, so we wanted to be around others who didn't bring a burden or threat. The male friends in your life are typically those who don't bring strife into our lives. thats not a hard rule, just a general trend. so even something like sharing internal issues as we are dealing with them is something we are almost biologically programmed not to do with other males. Its not a matter of trusting them, its just being able to live up to our role in the relationship as a non-burdensome member. even with women they biologically look to us for security. and if we are dealing with internal issues, that can take away from our ability to protect or provide. That's one possible reason we don't share during, but might be willing to share after, as almost a trophy, "look what I was able to deal with on my own" type of thing.

note I don't fully agree with what I typed above, but it does provide a certain sort of logic I can grasp, but that could also just be a bias/coping thing for me.

Definite thoughts and prayers to both of you.

I haven't been in your shoes, but one thing I would caution you about responding to your ex is your messaging is really important. Its not necessarily WHAT you say to her, but HOW you say it. the best message delivered in a terrible way, is going to come across as pretty crappy.

I have no real advice on what/how to talk to her, as others said you know her better. But recognize that you should protect yourself first, even if that is somewhat of a negative to her. you can't help others if you don't take care of yourself. it could also be a manipulative measure as others have mentioned, and it may not be a conscious decision on her part. She is reaching out because she is hurting. all you may be able to do is to acknowledge that pain/suffering. I wouldn't lead her on or give her false hope, but even some small positive words could help her. and that could just be saying that you are worried about her.

and when/if you talk to others you don't necessarily need to spell everything out to them, just let them know they need to check on her, you are worried. unless you think she has actually hurt herself.

Over the years I've had the best experience working through rough stuff by turning to God in prayer and escaping into nature. It's helped a lot in the past.

Now days though I dunno. Things have been more than rough lately. Seems if it can go wrong, it will. Every step forward is followed by bring kicked backwards a mile.

From personal experience I can tell you last of the reason guys don't talk is because of the stigma. No matter how much people talk about "removing the stigma" of needing help, if you open it changes permanently how people look at you. Plus in today's climate saying the wrong thing, even if just blowing off steam, gets you on a list and can permanently screw up your already screwed up life

Reactions: tbh and joevol33
Over the years I've had the best experience working through rough stuff by turning to God in prayer and escaping into nature. It's helped a lot in the past.

Now days though I dunno. Things have been more than rough lately. Seems if it can go wrong, it will. Every step forward is followed by bring kicked backwards a mile.

From personal experience I can tell you last of the reason guys don't talk is because of the stigma. No matter how much people talk about "removing the stigma" of needing help, if you open it changes permanently how people look at you. Plus in today's climate saying the wrong thing, even if just blowing off steam, gets you on a list and can permanently screw up your already screwed up life
I get the stigma thing, I sincerely do. That said, we're so guilty of it, trying to be tough, that our minds don't understand what true strength is. The weekend we almost lost my wife, (long story, but she almost died, and they were going to have to put her to sleep again and that's what almost killed her. She was septic, and too weak for it), I had to sit my kids down and tell them their momma probably wasn't going to make it. Thank God she did (another long story), but man, that was the hardest thing I've ever done. It took every bit of strength I had to look my kids in the eye, and tell them we were probably losing her. I knew I'd cry, I knew they'd cry, and it was so hard. Before that, I thought I was tough because of things we think of as tough, but that was hard.

I get the stigma thing, I sincerely do. That said, we're so guilty of it, trying to be tough, that our minds don't understand what true strength is. The weekend we almost lost my wife, (long story, but she almost died, and they were going to have to put her to sleep again and that's what almost killed her. She was septic, and too weak for it), I had to sit my kids down and tell them their momma probably wasn't going to make it. Thank God she did (another long story), but man, that was the hardest thing I've ever done. It took every bit of strength I had to look my kids in the eye, and tell them we were probably losing her. I knew I'd cry, I knew they'd cry, and it was so hard. Before that, I thought I was tough because of things we think of as tough, but that was hard.
Very true, we try to tough it out also because no matter how bad we have it we know someone who has it worse. If they can handle what they have "we have no room to complain". Hell my life is a bottomless **** show right now add in 23 years of absolute burnout/ptsd (ish) feeling from emergency services, but I've never had to have your type of conversation with my son. I pray to God I never do, cause I don't know that I could. That's just a whole other level of bad. I'm happy for you that she made it through it.

Reactions: joevol33
Very true, we try to tough it out also because no matter how bad we have it we know someone who has it worse. If they can handle what they have "we have no room to complain". Hell my life is a bottomless **** show right now add in 23 years of absolute burnout/ptsd (ish) feeling from emergency services, but I've never had to have your type of conversation with my son. I pray to God I never do, cause I don't know that I could. That's just a whole other level of bad. I'm happy for you that she made it through it.
Thanks man, and I hope and pray your situation gets better.

Reactions: chatsworth_vol
I am glad you didn't go through with it and found something that worked for you.

I lost my dad suddenly in November of 2021 and a brother to suicide January 3, 2022 and it put me in a bad spot as well. He had tried to commit suicide 3 times in 2021 and we were able to intervene. I went through depression as well. Thankfully, I had a couple of good friends that kept in contact with me and got me into a men's group and heavy exercise. My depression lasted over 12 months. Tennessee sports was a huge benefit to my mental state through the last year for sure. Prayers for continued success on your life journey.

I am glad you didn't go through with it and found something that worked for you.

I lost my dad suddenly in November of 2021 and a brother to suicide January 3, 2022 and it put me in a bad spot as well. He had tried to commit suicide 3 times in 2021 and we were able to intervene. I went through depression as well. Thankfully, I had a couple of good friends that kept in contact with me and got me into a men's group and heavy exercise. My depression lasted over 12 months. Tennessee sports was a huge benefit to my mental state through the last year for sure. Prayers for continued success on your life journey.

So sorry to hear that you went through that in such a short period of time. Heartbreaking... Definitely in my prayers. Glad you had support and outlets for your depression. I can't relate exactly,but I've had depression to the point where I've not wanted to get out of bed and just sleep. It felt like I just just wanted to hide under a rock. Things are much better though now.

@Voldog1998 Glad to hear things have gotten better for you this year.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back