How can you defend JG after this?

C'mon, guy. Even the fourth string walk on from Georgia knew to get rid of the ball when pressure is coming. No pocket presence AT ALL. And what's more is the total disconnect from the team. I never see him get on to players that aren't performing or congratulating players that are doing a good job.

Maybe their coordinator called better plays.

Yeah I don’t know. I know some of his issues are changing OCs every year until this one but a lot of it just appears to be lack of talent. I don’t mean physically. I just don’t think he can grasp the mental side. I’m not at all saying the kid is dumb. I’m sure he’s not. I just don’t think QB is for him as he seems to struggle with the mental side of the game. I wish he would get past all of the issues as he has fought hard for us fans these 4+ years but it just isn’t going to happen.
I hate it for him, I do. I hate the circumstances he's went through here, but I'm afraid it's too much to overcome.

Reactions: hUTch2002
If posters like you get our way, we will never get better. Your type will scream for a QB to be benched if they have a rough quarter and a HC to be fired after any loss. If you are so miserable with the team, find someone else to follow and save us your ichor.
Finally some logic and reason. Thank you.

Doubt it. Those guys are leaders. Not just quarterbacks but leaders.
Ainge was so much worse than JG as a sophomore and a junior and it’s not even close. And he played with consistent NFL talent. I love, LOVE EA, but he doesn’t win that game today. Neither does Claussen likely behind that line.

If posters like you get our way, we will never get better. Your type will scream for a QB to be benched if they have a rough quarter and a HC to be fired after any loss. If you are so miserable with the team, find someone else to follow and save us your ichor.
It hasn’t been a rough quarter, it’s been a rough 4 years for Vol fans watching Guarantano. He proves time and time again that he doesn’t have it, but for some reason we trot him out every Saturday.

The best JG fans are willing to concede "he only had two turnovers tonight that were his fault." Really good teams, moreover really good QBs do not turn the ball over at all. It's supposed to be a rarity. Are we conditioned to accept a 2 turnover game QB as performing not all that poorly???

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Ainge was so much worse than JG as a sophomore and a junior and it’s not even close. And he played with consistent NFL talent. I love, LOVE EA, but he doesn’t win that game today. Neither does Claussen likely behind that line.
After the horrible LSU game Eric’s Junior year (I think it was that year) I thought he would never play again he was so bad. Cut worked a miracle. We don’t have Cut now though.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
JG showed some growth in game 1& 2. He regressed farther in one half of football than ive ever seen 1 player regress. I can’t take much more of his bipolar performances

Reactions: mpfvol and jarnol32
No defense for that second half. What I mean is no defense for how he played. He just solicited the 2nd half.

He was great the first half. Idk what happened second half.

Bullsh*t. If you would have said he was worse his sophomore year I could agree. Ainge’s Jr year he threw for 2900 yards and 19 tds. Guarantano’s best season he only threw for 2100 yards and 16 tds. Not to mention Ainge had intangibles such a pocket presence and the ability (most of the time) to throw the ball away.

Reactions: KarnsTownVol
JG sucks. Has always sucked. But Peyton Manning himself would've had at least 3 TOs tonight against that D. Either the O line or the RBs sucked worse. Didn't watch it close enough to know which one is at fault. You gotta be able to run the ball to win the big ones in this league.

Were you surprised by his performance? I mean the OL was atrocious, yeah, but given overall awareness, ball security and decision making in a spotlight game......was it a surprise? Wasn't for me. Anyway its neither here nor there, most of us knew what he was when he trotted out there. He has toughness, desire, but his skill level is what his history tells you it is, and I don't mean stats. He's not going to win you games....he isn't going to take a team and put it on his shoulders and carry them. But he has shown he can negatively impact your chances to win. He's shown you a tendency to fold in pressure situations. Today he contributed to the loss, but he wasn't alone either. You just can't ask and hope for someone to be what he isn't.

Last edited:
Bullsh*t. If you would have said he was worse his sophomore year I could agree. Ainge’s Jr year he threw for 2900 yards and 19 tds. Guarantano’s best season he only threw for 2100 yards and 16 tds. Not to mention Ainge had intangibles such a pocket presence and the ability (most of the time) to throw the ball away.
Sounds like a pretty mediocre season for a guy you put on the same line as Mannin, Shuler, and Kelley. My point wasn’t statistical either. Ainge had a sub-par junior year, and to my original point, I don’t think he does anything behind that line today. I could make an argument Tee wouldn’t have either. Tee won games, but they had all the bullets. He was a game manager. Check his stat line that year if you want to be surprised. Which is really my meta-point. That ‘98 team was f’n loaded.

Tell me, please? Poor decisions the entire 2nd half when we had a chance to win....and it’s been the same for 4 years. God I can’t wait until Bailey is ready
Simple, the Oline was terrible, the RB’s can’t block a blitz for shat,
They could and should be a lot better,
JG can’t get better or he would have by now

I can't defend him or Oline after this game. He didn't have alot of time yes but unless its a go route or fade were he knows he is throwing he doesn't do a good job of knowing the weakness in secondary according to coverage. . He needs a strong running game.

Defense was on point. Offense didn't netted much more. Just quit fumbling the ball in the backfield. All we had to do was throw it to where our receivers are supposed to be and let's see what happens. If it's intercepted, at least it's 20, 30, 40 yards down field. I don't know if we win but, we don't fumble four fn times with clausen in the backfield

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Right, because Guarantano has never struggled or played poorly or made the same mistakes over and over before. This was his first ever example of less than stellar play in 5 years.

Reactions: rusty11

VN Store

Back