Holly isn’t handling the termination well...

If this is true this is absolutely pathetic. What in the world did she expect? To not even address her team is classless.

They couldn’t rightly give her a job in the department due to the obviously poor relationship between herself and the players. Too little too late Holls. If she wanted to make changes she missed the boat, because that ship sailed three seasons ago.

passive aggressive response?

Reactions: alexvol
If this is true this is absolutely pathetic. What in the world did she expect? To not even address her team is classless.

They couldn’t rightly give her a job in the department due to the obviously poor relationship between herself and the players. Too little too late Holls. If she wanted to make changes she missed the boat, because that ship sailed three seasons ago.
She was successful for 35 yrs sitting next to the GOAT! She takes over and drives straight into the ditch. A slice of reality sets in because I’m sure more than once during that 35 yrs she claimed an idea or Legend tells her to sit down and STHU. Now back to being crashed in the ditch the humble pie tastes like $h!t after being canned, and knows that she really has never been a good coach. She just ruined the greatest program in the country!. That would be some crappy tasting pie at that point. Someone may want to stand near the ledge just in case! Just saying.

🍊🍊🍊

Wait. The two things that stuck out to me were that she wanted another year to make ROSTER changes?! Like who? That’s what coaching is for, you work with what you have, the different personalities and make things work/happen. You don’t just throw em to the curb.

And She hasn’t spoken to anyone from the team? Smh
Grown adult woman. I’m surprised she hasn’t reached out to her team / players.
This right there tells us ALL we need to know. She should have NEVER been the coach in the first place. What s shame to allow someone like that to tear down a once proud and elite program.

Reactions: T.J.
Wait. The two things that stuck out to me were that she wanted another year to make ROSTER changes?! Like who? That’s what coaching is for, you work with what you have, the different personalities and make things work/happen. You don’t just throw em to the curb.

When a coach is on the hot seat, a common move they make is to make a staff change. I buys them another season on the job
Fulmer fired Sanders & bought more time. Holly was going to fire some of her staff & try to buy another year
She ran out of time

Well, I see Holly having the mindset of being a victim in all of this. I would bet money that she is a Democrat and I also bet that her thought are that she was fired because she is female or because of her age or because of her religion or because of her sexual preference or that it wasn’t her fault but her players railroaded her.
She will either continue to think this way or maybe when the shock of being fired wears off, reality may hit her and she will realize her role in being fired
Let’s give her a few months and see if she has Hillary’s attitude or if her attitude is one of accepting that she played a role in it

Reactions: TNV and alexvol
This right there tells us ALL we need to know. She should have NEVER been the coach in the first place. What s shame to allow someone like that to tear down a once proud and elite program.

The program is NOT torn down. With the right coach, next years team can go far. Consider it a hiccup and nothing else
We made the NCAA & plenty of other teams probably wished they had made it too
Yes, it is embarrassing to lose to basketball basement dwellers & Hollys press conferences were embarrassing also

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
whoa whoa whoa, it's not that she was a bad coach. She just wasn't at the level that Tennessee Lady BasketVols require. She would actually be a great coach at a lot of schools. Just not with us and the level that we expect.
Nah, she would take any program she inherited and weaken it a little more every year. She inherited an elite program and had drug us down to a level "a lot of schools" would be happy with. If she'd have stayed we'd have continued to spiral downwards.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Little sympathy for Holly.... why didn't she change up the offense once (at least visibly) in her tenure.... why didn't she sit in with other coaches and talk with them...

it was all about about hustle, and getting buckets .... and when she lost it was largely quick shooting and the other team wanting it more...

No grace to step aside.... and she wanted another year to do exactly the same thing...

During last night's UConn/UCLA game Kara Lawson mentioned that the UCLA coach had traveled several times to Storrs to watch UConn practice. On a couple of those trips she took her coaching staff. I wonder if HW had ever considered attending practices of teams that play a modern offense?

If this tweet is real and it did come from Hyams, things are far, far worse than we thought. Hyams is virtually a UTAD mouthpiece and would NEVER say these things if not approved by the AD. The culture is so much more toxic than I imagined in my sunshine and lollipop Holly send off scenario.

I was surprised, but shouldn't have been, that there was a player split on Holly, with some supporting and others not. I figured all liked her a person and all wished her well but all sadly wished her gone for the sake of their own careers. But more than that, the thought that she would not even address her team is just beyond horrible, and now to have the AD's media spokesman calling her out on it publicly says it all. Things are very rotten in Denmark.

We're left with bad blood between some team and staff, between teammates, between the former coach and AD. Someone tell me again this is not a rebuilding job both on and off court? Suddenly a whole new requirement for a next coach comes to the forefront. We need someone who can clean the house with strong bleach and bring in a completely restored culture.

The program is NOT torn down. With the right coach, next years team can go far. Consider it a hiccup and nothing else
We made the NCAA & plenty of other teams probably wished they had made it too
This is especially hilarious coming from someone who just dissed Democrat snowflakes! Shall we hang a participation banner to honor Holly's accomplishments that other teams, including no doubt every one in DIII, would love to achieve?

The last three years are far more than a hiccup, they're an absolute vomiting of bile. Players unhappy and underdeveloped. Every negative first imaginable reached. Attendance plummeting. Program lurching toward absolute irrelevance. I pray I never live long enough to see this program any more torn down than it is right now!

During last night's UConn/UCLA game Kara Lawson mentioned that the UCLA coach had traveled several times to Storrs to watch UConn practice. On a couple of those trips she took her coaching staff. I wonder if HW had ever considered attending practices of teams that play a modern offense?
This is a mystery I will never understand. Pat Summitt did this! Reached out and said it publicly when she saw the offense was outdated (though to be fair, obviously, an update never happened under Pat either, but at least she tried).

It's more obvious than ever now that Holly wanted to continue as coach. So why in the world would she be so freaking stubborn about what everyone and their housecat knew was her teams' downfall? Her stubborn and nonsensical adherence to old school ugly, chaotic, rebound and putback offense was ruining her career and more importantly, ruining the LVs. Why not change?

There's a hint in Holly's grumblings about the young whippersnappers she is recruiting these days. Laughable in the face of other coaches making superstars and building successful programs with the same kids. Maybe Holly should have gotten out of the house more. 30 years in the same seat apparently made her unable to grow and stagnated her mentally and emotionally as well as strategically as a coach.

Last edited:

That speaks loudly volume maxed that chemistry was lacking big time.. Coach and players on different wavelengths

Reactions: LVsinceJV and glv98
Ok, I'll say it. sometimes women have a difficult time taking personal feelings out of business decisions. I see it every day in my work. Even women when confronted after the fact usually admit they handle losing a client, etc wrong.

Fire away.

Wowsa. Didn’t believe Phil would do it. I wonder if Phil offered her a chance to resign and she refused. Sounds like she was still blaming everything on everyone else right until the end.
I didn't think Phil would do it , Holly was in over her head , some coaches Phil included gets lazy after several years they need to be let go...……….GO VOLS

Could be wrong nobodies perfect not even Pat Summit as she wanted Holly to be coach remember.
Maybe she did. Or not. In one of his columns about Holly's firing this week, John Adams repeated a story that's been raised but always dismissed around here. He said outright that Pat was reconsidering whether she might be able to coach another year but Dave Hart hired Holly instead. LOL as if that man/monster hadn't already done enough damage.

I'm looking forward to the book or movie coming out. Or even a 30 for 30. Apparently there was a whole lot more that went on behind the scenes the last 8 or 9 years than what we thought.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Ok, I'll say it. sometimes women have a difficult time taking personal feelings out of business decisions. I see it every day in my work. Even women when confronted after the fact usually admit they handle losing a client, etc wrong.

Fire away.

You sir speak the truth ………………..

Frankly, I find this entire thread to be extremely distasteful, unnecessary, an embarrassing blight on our fanship, and I wish it had never happened. :(

Sometimes it’s better to keep our thoughts to ourselves. :rolleyes:
Because everyone comes to an internet chat forum to keep their thoughts to themselves?

I'm intrigued by the oft-stated implication that the problems aren't the real problem, it's us talking about the problems that are the real danger. Same for the myth of recruits being run off by negative internet fan chatter. Keyboard warriors a bigger blight than a culture so rotten the fired coach can't even address her team? Know nothings babbling about players on-court shortcomings more damaging to recruiting than the sad parade of under-achieving careers of star recruits? Don't think so.

What made this thread worthy for me was that the tweet came from Hyams, meaning the content is something the AD wants us to know. I totally agree the backstage struggle implied is distasteful and unneccessary and would have been best avoided. Probably could have been if HW could have gone away quietly. Yet here we are.

VN Store

Back