Hiking Thread

I’m on my second pair of Keen boots. I love them. Will probably get them again.

We even get Keens for the kids. Not just for hiking but general play shoes. The rubber toes are invaluable for them.
i have a shoe problem. By that I mean I cannot stop buying them. I have 18 pair of work boots. 7 hiking boots. 14 pairs of shoes..........keen leads Merrell in the hiking boot collection 4-3

i have a shoe problem. By that I mean I cannot stop buying them. I have 18 pair of work boots. 7 hiking boots. 14 pairs of shoes..........keen leads Merrell in the hiking boot collection 4-3
First one of us to buy a pair of shoes after we met was Tony. He got a pair of Rockports. I knew then I was gonna marry him.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Go try some on. You will have to go to REI, Cabela's, Columbia, etc type store. There are several good brands out there, I started out in Columbia, moved to Merrell. There are high and low versions - I prefer low as they are a similar fit to a tennis shoe.

Kevin and I started out in tennis shoes and gym wear, or tshirts and pants. Once we got serious about hiking we invested in shoes, poles, backpacks, and clothes. It can get expensive, but hiking specific gear is a huge difference in your experience.

And, if nobody has suggested it thus far, try hiking shoes/boots on in the evening. If you're on your feet for a lengthy period of time, as would be the case on a multi-hour hike, your feet will swell. If the boots you are interested in fit well late in the day, the chances are excellent that they will be comfortable for prolonged use on the trail.

I'm just now getting interested in hiking. Probably waited too late.

The Little River Trail out of Elkmont and Middle Prong Trail out of Tremont are two great ones to start with. Lots of things to see and the trails themselves are old railroad grades so they’re not too step or rocky. Big Creek Trail out to Mouse Creek Falls is also another nice, easy hike.

I used to buy Merrel, then onto Keen, now Asolo, and the Asolo hiking boots have been awesome right out of the box.

Reactions: vollygirl
Y'all are awesome!!

For me, its a feeling lately that I just want to use muscles. I don't really know how to explain it. It sounds dumb.
Just start with the less strenuous hikes and work your way up to the more difficult ones...I was out of shape and was breathing hard doing Laurel Falls and made an effort to walk more...within 6 months.. I did a 10 mile memorial rucksack hike with 50 pounds on my back..Leconte via Alum Trail...Mt. Cammerer...and Gregory Bald in the same week...it's hard to explain.... U get in a zone and it just keeps you moving...just take your time .stop enjoy the scenery...get to the top at your own pace
Smoky Mountain Hikes | HikingintheSmokys.com

Just start with the less strenuous hikes and work your way up to the more difficult ones...I was out of shape and was breathing hard doing Laurel Falls and made an effort to walk more...within 6 months.. I did a 10 mile memorial rucksack hike with 50 pounds on my back..Leconte via Alum Trail...Mt. Cammerer...and Gregory Bald in the same week...it's hard to explain.... U get in a zone and it just keeps you moving...just take your time .stop enjoy the scenery...get to the top at your own pace
Smoky Mountain Hikes | HikingintheSmokys.com
That is the biggest thing, go your pace. We pass people and some pass us. Now that we have Rocky, we are much slower than we used to be.

You can really take time to enjoy the scenery. Even if it's crowded at first, it will thin out. Most people take their picture and move on.

Another tidbit - state park trails are nice, but a lot more crowded than random trails. We are always starting early though, so most people aren't getting started until we are finishing.

fcIE69u.jpg
This was the first sunset of 2020 from Cliff Tops

They got Merrells? Sister in law got Merrells. If those are the best, that's what I have to get.

Shoes or boots?

For day hikes, I would go with whatever is comfortable and lightweight. I've noticed a number of Merrell shoes were heavy for my liking, but that's all relative. If you can afford Salomon, you'll not regret it - they are lightweight and comfortable. Go to an outdoor retailer and feel the weight of the shoes/boots, determine if you're going to want ankle support (ie a boot), then go for comfort. You should also go .5 size up from normal if you're going to be on your feet all day as your feet may swell over time.

I like boots more because of their versatility, but seriously - buy based on what's comfortable. Be mindful that lots of boots claim to be 'waterproof'. This is usually a marketing gimmick. Unless it's full leather w/ vibram soles, double stitched, etc. then you shouldn't believe it.

Reactions: vollygirl
You should look into White's/Hathorn's for work boots if you're serious about boots. They'll last a lifetime.

You should look into White's/Hathorn's for work boots if you're serious about boots. They'll last a lifetime.
I actually have a pair.
I do have a pretty serious shoe problem.
Here are some of the work boots. 2415AD93-AB80-40F8-9D99-7BF8FEA41980.jpegYou might notice that I’m allowing Red to keep a couple pairs of hers on the shelf too. #goodhusband

Reactions: MAD and vollygirl
I used to buy Merrel, then onto Keen, now Asolo, and the Asolo hiking boots have been awesome right out of the box.

Ditto. Was a light/day hiker more than backpacking. Though I wanted to get into it more, and had the Backpacker Magazine subscription, the tent, bag, stoves, etc., never made it on trail much for extended hikes. but my equipment made for easy, fast, and light camping for trout fishing, golfing, etc. But, I had a pair of full leather Asolo, similar to the TPS model but I know I didn't even pay $200. It's been a minute though. Best shoe in 54 years that has ever been on my feet. Probably lasted me 5-7 years of 4+ days a week general and outdoor wear. Wonder if I still have them. Held on to them for long time because they could be re-soled. And I was just into wearing hiking boots period. Like you said, right out of the box.

Also, notice the pasta, canned tomatoes, etc. Strange closet.
Mud room off the laundry room where you come into the house from the garage. That’s work clothing.
There’s a lot more shoes in the actual closet

VN Store

Back