Hiking Thread

No! There are some freakishly tough trails and then plenty of kiddy trails, just do what works for you. If you are concerned about knees, use hiking poles, they are amazing and I love them when going down steep hills.
Red and I added hiking poles about 2 years ago. I noticed it most on the days after on tougher hikes. My knees hurt terribly without them. With them it’s almost nonexistent

Reactions: Rishvol
No! There are some freakishly tough trails and then plenty of kiddy trails, just do what works for you. If you are concerned about knees, use hiking poles, they are amazing and I love them when going down steep hills.
Never too late to start hiking! Trails aren’t going anywhere.
Never too late. Especially if you take the yungins
Y'all are awesome!!

For me, its a feeling lately that I just want to use muscles. I don't really know how to explain it. It sounds dumb.

Reactions: volwindy
Y'all are awesome!!

For me, its a feeling lately that I just want to use muscles. I don't really know how to explain it. It sounds dumb.
Nothing dumb about it. Best part about hiking is finding trails in the most unlikely places. (Please don't leave the trail) also hiking poles are life savers

Yes, not sandals like I see some wearing. If you really enjoy it, invest in hiking shoes. I use merrells and they are about $115 or so, but I go for the waterproof version which is more expensive.
We're going to Alaska in June, so shoes are already on my list. 😁 I just need encouragement to get them.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
We're going to Alaska in June, so shoes are already on my list. 😁 I just need encouragement to get them.
Go try some on. You will have to go to REI, Cabela's, Columbia, etc type store. There are several good brands out there, I started out in Columbia, moved to Merrell. There are high and low versions - I prefer low as they are a similar fit to a tennis shoe.

Kevin and I started out in tennis shoes and gym wear, or tshirts and pants. Once we got serious about hiking we invested in shoes, poles, backpacks, and clothes. It can get expensive, but hiking specific gear is a huge difference in your experience.

Go try some on. You will have to go to REI, Cabela's, Columbia, etc type store. There are several good brands out there, I started out in Columbia, moved to Merrell. There are high and low versions - I prefer low as they are a similar fit to a tennis shoe.

Kevin and I started out in tennis shoes and gym wear, or tshirts and pants. Once we got serious about hiking we invested in shoes, poles, backpacks, and clothes. It can get expensive, but hiking specific gear is a huge difference in your experience.
a small backpack with a water bladder will help tremendously.

VN Store

Back