Hiking Thread

bignewt

VN's Resident Windbag
Lab Rat
Thanks to the TennesseeOnMe tourist promotion, I'll be in E. Tennessee from Oct. 9-12. My wife and I will spend a couple of days hiking in the Smokies but on the 12, we nned to get back to Nashville airport by 2 PM. I could use some good hiking suggestions (2-4 miles) for the Cumberland Plateau area between Knoxville and Nashville.
Virgin Falls outside of Sparta. A little longer hike but we'll worth it.

bignewt

VN's Resident Windbag
Lab Rat
View attachment 375156 Section of The Trail of Tears - Memphis to Little Rock Road. We were only hikers on the trail. It was weird to think about all the people who traveled this road in 1800’s. There are really good signs which tell story of Trail. Each Native American tribe has their own sign. Plus a sign telling about the construction of the road. The entire trail is called the Military Road trail.
Shameful history.

bignewt

VN's Resident Windbag
Lab Rat
Hiked a trail at Village Creek State Park in Wynne, AR. Trail was 2 miles round trip and I explored several side trails. I learned after the fact that one side trail led to a well preserved portion of The Trail of Tears, if I had kept going. I plan to go back.
I wore my new Saucony Mad River trail runners for the first time on trail. So far so good.
View attachment 374927
Mad River 2 are supposed to be really good. I found these cheap since they are earlier model. They have wide toe box.
I just got some Merrell Alta lights that I really like so far.

Ace

aka, Hoss
I just got some Merrell Alta lights that I really like so far.
I am having some knee pain and it seems to occur primarily when I wear the Mad River. I did a 40 minute walk around neighborhood today with them and knee started hurting at 35 minutes. Wore them yesterday with no pain. No sure what is going on

VN Store

Sponsors