Hiking Thread

We are having to move to Alabama to take care of my FIL after my MIL passed away on Mother's Day gonna try to get as many hikes in this month as possible. Really want to see the flame azaleas on Gregory Bald

Sorry to hear that

Reactions: 1 person
We are having to move to Alabama to take care of my FIL after my MIL passed away on Mother's Day gonna try to get as many hikes in this month as possible. Really want to see the flame azaleas on Gregory Bald

Sorry to hear. Praying for your family.

Gregory Bald hike pics. Flame Azaleas were amazing. Parsons Branch rd is closed so you have to do the longer 11 mile hike.

Attachments

• 20180618_105358.jpg
    20180618_105358.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180618_105351.jpg
    20180618_105351.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180618_102239.jpg
    20180618_102239.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20180618_102119.jpg
    20180618_102119.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20180618_105157.jpg
    20180618_105157.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1
Why is Parson's Branch closed? Glad I saw this, as I was thinking about taking all three kids this weekend.

All the National Parks I've been to out here in Cali charge like $25/30 per vehicle for a 7 day pass. Never really thought about why GSMNP doesn't.

I've heard different reasons why they don't charge, one because all the land was aquired from private land owners, another was 441 is a U.S. route and not a state route.

I've heard different reasons why they don't charge, one because all the land was aquired from private land owners, another was 441 is a U.S. route and not a state route.

Be hard to justify charging somebody 30$ just to drive over the mountain, but on the other hand US 89 does go straight through Yellowstone and you have to pay. I don't know how they make it work at GSMNP..plus could you imagine the traffic jams at the booths out of Gatlinburg? How do you cover all the entrances?

Be hard to justify charging somebody 30$ just to drive over the mountain, but on the other hand US 89 does go straight through Yellowstone and you have to pay. I don't know how they make it work at GSMNP..plus could you imagine the traffic jams at the booths out of Gatlinburg? How do you cover all the entrances?

The drive thru RMNP isn't much longer, there would be entrance booths at Townsend, Gatlinburg, and Oconaluftee. Would have to make the road at Metcalf Bottom exit only. I hope they leave it how it is though.

I'm sure it could be done. It needs to be done. I live in an adjacent county and I'd gladly pay another $30 on my tag renewal. Allow those who live in adjacent counties, or in TN and NC this option and charge all others per vehicle.

I think it would weed out the Gatlinburg and Forge trash. It would fund upkeep and lessen impact.

Charging would lessen the traffic as it would weed out your white trash Pigeon Forge vacationer who would rather spend it on Ripley's or Wonder Works.

The drive thru RMNP isn't much longer, there would be entrance booths at Townsend, Gatlinburg, and Oconaluftee. Would have to make the road at Metcalf Bottom exit only. I hope they leave it how it is though.

You left out Cosby, Greenbrier, Cataloochee, Roaring Fork, Balsam mtn, Big creek and Deep Creek.

Charging would lessen the traffic as it would weed out your white trash Pigeon Forge vacationer who would rather spend it on Ripley's or Wonder Works.

I agree to an extent, but let's not call folks who like different things "trash". I still don't think it would lessen it that much. Most of those kinds of folks hardly ever drive past the entrance sign at the end of Gatlinburg.

I was just tolling the three main roads and areas. New Found Gap rd, River rd, and Cades Cove.

I just don't know about it. I go to the Smokies 10 or more times a year. I guess I could do the America the Beautiful pass as long as they don't start raping people on that too.

VN Store

Back