Heupel’s offense is not innovative

Disapproval said that we finally threw a slant pass.Watching the Bama/Florida game,I noticed that Florida completed.several passes across.the middle.Slant passes.that.were.the.responsibility of number.10.Number 10 just happens.to be Henry To'o'to'o.Some things never change.Maybe we should throw slants.all.day against Bama.

10 didn't look very good yesterday.... Not going to lie and say I didn't enjoy watching him struggle a bit

Reactions: Falcons02
10 didn't look very good yesterday.... Not going to lie and say I didn't enjoy watching him struggle a bit
i wasnt impressed by him when he was here. to me, the family has put him in programs that win and are very talented to hide some of his defaults. he doesnt play pass defense well at all and he doesnt fill the running lane with any real grit or at least i didnt see any while he was here.

Reactions: GoVols64
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?
We haven't seen anything yet that we haven't seen before. Plays have been executed quite well most of the time. We'd be undefeated minus the turnovers and one stupid fourth down play. Better get all the QB's ready for this week as were going to get pounded and may need all three.

Reactions: GoVols64
We haven't seen anything yet that we haven't seen before. Plays have been executed quite well most of the time. We'd be undefeated minus the turnovers and one stupid fourth down play. Better get all the QB's ready for this week as were going to get pounded and may need all three.

#truth.... I thought, for about a quarter, we were going to have a chance then the Gators decided to show up to their game and played pretty well. They are a QB away from beating bama...

Not sure what you're trying to say... but UT hasn't scored 34 or more points 3 times in any season since Dobbs left.

I've kinda enjoyed seeing UT score more points.
I was saying I don’t care if it’s innovative or not. They’re scoring more points than they have in years…. That’s innovative enough for me

We need to slow down on the crucifixion of Heupel and this program. Holy crap. Heupel has coached 3 games with a decimated roster. I think Heupel might be legit. With a good mixture of X’s & O’s and Jimmy’s and Joe’s, we’ll all be singing Huepel’s praises and eating crow.

Florida will beat us next week but that’s not the end of the world. We will not lose the next 7 games as another poster predicted. We may or may not win 6 games this year. This team will improve and gel as the season progresses. I see no sign of this team quitting on Heupel. If you watch Heupel’s interaction with the players in the sideline, they love the guy and will walk through fire for him.

volsknx,Butch played a mean trombone or skin flute,whichever.Heupel played and now coaches football.I am sad that you cannot tell the difference between the two.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?
I think that’s his theory. Simplify the playbook but run them with efficiency (Vince Lombardi theory) and faster to wear defenses down and keep personnel changes to a minimum. Remains to be seen how we do but this system favors scheme over talent and I’m ok with it for now. We can’t line up and out athlete too many teams right now. But success of his system depends on good qb play.

Perhaps you should give it a go and we'll start a thread bashing you

Reactions: jtdavis
so this is ur bailey excuse after how he played yesterday? so f'n weak[/QUOTE

Bailey no turnovers. Mannequin Milty 6 quarters and 3 turnovers, the slippery fingers sex worker “happy hooker” 6 quarters 3 turnovers. Bailey looked like a world beater

I think that’s his theory. Simplify the playbook but run them with efficiency (Vince Lombardi theory) and faster to wear defenses down and keep personnel changes to a minimum. Remains to be seen how we do but this system favors scheme over talent and I’m ok with it for now. We can’t line up and out athlete too many teams right now. But success of his system depends on good qb play.
If one of our QB’s had of stepped up by now and played like highly touted recruits who are in their veteran years of college football in a high octane clicking offense, we would have beaten Pitt convincingly, and had a reasonable shot at Florida. The QB situation will kill us all year.

Reactions: Birdie
Save for the fact CJH actually played the sport and is building a great culture players are buying into. No gimmicky slogan's and low self-esteem driving a wedge into the team....

Haha right.. one guy who was in the band and one guy who was 1st team all-american, 2nd in Heisman, won a Natty, and has tutored multiple Heisman winners..

Outside of that little fact they're exactly the same apparently

here's what i love about heupel's offense. it utilizes everybody......every skilled position on the attack. it is because it is a series of reads. this is what folk dont understand about it. this is why the OLINE is so important. it is based around the inside zone. off that is a series of plays, both quick and field-stretching. this is why we are seeing more of our wr's getting behind coverage. i love it!
Our leading receiver through 3 games is Warren. I’d say that’s using everyone.

Reactions: lexkyvol
If one of our QB’s had of stepped up by now and played like highly touted recruits who are in their veteran years of college football in a high octane clicking offense, we would have beaten Pitt convincingly, and had a reasonable shot at Florida. The QB situation will kill us all year.
If only we had someone with experience coaching and developing QBs….

It’s entirely possible he was handed a flaming bag of crap at the QB position. His 3 most experienced QBs transferred, 2 of them before he was even named coach. He inherited Hooker, who was a better fit than “can’t miss” Bailey. With about zero QBs on the market, he grabs Milton on short notice. We can agree it hasn’t worked out for the whopping 6 quarters he’s played. But I give coach credit for trying to turn chicken crap into chicken salad. If there is someone who can turn this into something serviceable, it’s Heupel.

We need to slow down on the crucifixion of Heupel and this program. Holy crap. Heupel has coached 3 games with a decimated roster. I think Heupel might be legit. With a good mixture of X’s & O’s and Jimmy’s and Joe’s, we’ll all be singing Huepel’s praises and eating crow.

Florida will beat us next week but that’s not the end of the world. We will not lose the next 7 games as another poster predicted. We may or may not win 6 games this year. This team will improve and gel as the season progresses. I see no sign of this team quitting on Heupel. If you watch Heupel’s interaction with the players in the sideline, they love the guy and will walk through fire for him.
Oh come on!!!
It Sunday! Surely we can crucify someone. I’ll get the lumber...

I am ok with the lack of innovation however, what a good OC does is to adjust to the talents on his Offense and, to the talents on the other side of the ball. Our OC dropped the ball in the Pitt game, as that was our game to Win. Don't keep going to the same well if that well has a "Dried Up" sign on it. UT, as thin as we are, still has a lot of talent on the field and on the sidelines. We are good enough to fight for a .500 season. As for yesterdays game, that told us very little for we beat a varsity high school team. Hope Tennessee Tech enjoys the trip to the bank! $$$$

If only we had someone with experience coaching and developing QBs….

It’s entirely possible he was handed a flaming bag of crap at the QB position. His 3 most experienced QBs transferred, 2 of them before he was even named coach. He inherited Hooker, who was a better fit than “can’t miss” Bailey. With about zero QBs on the market, he grabs Milton on short notice. We can agree it hasn’t worked out for the whopping 6 quarters he’s played. But I give coach credit for trying to turn chicken crap into chicken salad. If there is someone who can turn this into something serviceable, it’s Heupel.
As negative as I have been towards this QB mess, I’m really not down on Heupel. And I actually think he will get this thing turned around somewhere down the road. But it just frustrates me to no end that we keep attracting QB busts.

That os common knowledge. He runs a simple offense at breakneck speed. His advantage is gained ot in out-smarting other coaches, but is gained in making it very difficult for them to signal in adjustments to what just happened.

This works very well if his team executes. Once they run into a team with a guy on the field who has the ability to understand what adjustments need to be made...it will become much more difficult

Execution is the key though

The offense you see is all the QBs can handle. This staff is great and can win a lot of games if they can get the players to can execute. As for now, It’s way too soon to tell how it’s going end up.

Reactions: jtdavis

I am ok with the lack of innovation however, what a good OC does is to adjust to the talents on his Offense and, to the talents on the other side of the ball. Our OC dropped the ball in the Pitt game, as that was our game to Win. Don't keep going to the same well if that well has a "Dried Up" sign on it. UT, as thin as we are, still has a lot of talent on the field and on the sidelines. We are good enough to fight for a .500 season. As for yesterdays game, that told us very little for we beat a varsity high school team. Hope Tennessee Tech enjoys the trip to the bank! $$$$

I've found that good OCs actually install their system and run it in order to get better at it. They don't change anything dramatically based on personnel or the defense being presented. The reason they run the offense they do is because they know it works. We scored 34 points vs Pitt and if not for drops and overthrows we'd have scored at least 48. That should be enough to win football games. The scheme vs Pitt was great, the execution was lacking but that can be expected in game 2 of a new system.

What some of the talking heads were saying yesterday is that it's a pretty simple set of plays for the most part, which is part of why it can be run so fast, not as much memorization. But...he does a great job of switching up the formations and confusing the defense. Sounded credible to me.

So far it has worked pretty well, especially considering it's new to the offense and we have two new QBs to break in, not to mention mostly new other skill positions and even 3 new OL. Of course, it has worked against a bad FCS defense and literally two of the worst defenses in BCS. It will be interesting to see how well it works against Florida, to be sure.

I've found that good OCs actually install their system and run it in order to get better at it. They don't change anything dramatically based on personnel or the defense being presented. The reason they run the offense they do is because they know it works. We scored 34 points vs Pitt and if not for drops and overthrows we'd have scored at least 48. That should be enough to win football games. The scheme vs Pitt was great, the execution was lacking but that can be expected in game 2 of a new system.
x2, but let's see how it works against a team not under 100 in ppg on defense. Both BG and Pitt are horrible defenses, Tech is bad even by FCS standards. Florida is a big step up defensively. That will go a long way to testing Heupel's offense early in his Vol career. If we score under 20 I will be very upset, but hoping we score over 30.

x2, but let's see how it works against a team not under 100 in ppg on defense. Both BG and Pitt are horrible defenses, Tech is bad even by FCS standards. Florida is a big step up defensively. That will go a long way to testing Heupel's offense early in his Vol career. If we score under 20 I will be very upset, but hoping we score over 30.

Well I won't be surprised if you're upset. Bama barely crossed 300 yards and put up 31 with 7 of those coming off a very short field after an interception. Florida has a very good defense.

Reactions: Remy and GoVols64

VN Store

Back