Heupel’s offense is not innovative

VolArmy74

This roster is so good only you can see it, because people who make a living at it can’t, which is why NFL draft choices are so low. But keep believing those recruiting services.
I posted about this recently, but the top recruits are generally gone from our classes, especially the upperclassmen. Our recruiting classes would have been ranked in the 50s or lower with the departures from those classes. The only classes mostly still intact are the 2020 class and the 2021 class.

ThreatLevelOrange

Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top
the roster is better than 9 teams on our schedule and most of those by a large margin.
Huh? Kentucky and Ole Miss have better rosters. They will have more all SEC and drafted players. Pitt might also.

Recruiting rankings do not equal talent. If so, we’d never lose to Kentucky, Mizz, or S Carolina. They have to stay on the team, gain strength, and buy into coaching.

ThreatLevelOrange

I posted about this recently, but the top recruits are generally gone from our classes, especially the upperclassmen. Our recruiting classes would have been ranked in the 50s or lower with the departures from those classes. The only classes mostly still intact are the 2020 class and the 2021 class.
Correct. The downside to changing coaches so frequently is that the roster is always a blend of two different coaches. That holds us back in many ways.

ThreatLevelOrange

Parts of it may be better...but the depth is the concern. Playing with 71 scholarship players, no matter their star ranking, is playing with one hand tied behind your back. I’m afraid that may get illustrated for us the deeper we go into the season.
You get it. I can’t believe people don’t understand why we race out to a lead early in the game and get worn down.

white65

By the end of the year our offense is going to look a lot like Oregon under Chip Kelly. Once the back up RBs are fully up to speed I expect a few two back sets. Out of that we can run the triple option. Its a great change of pace and when you add in a pass option the defense is in trouble.

Last edited:

Nationdom

Huh? Kentucky and Ole Miss have better rosters. They will have more all SEC and drafted players. Pitt might also.

Recruiting rankings do not equal talent. If so, we’d never lose to Kentucky, Mizz, or S Carolina. They have to stay on the team, gain strength, and buy into coaching.
Kentucky and ole miss do not have more talent than UT. I would not trade our roster for either one of them.

sechamp2012

Yep. Whatever it is, it is showing signs of being better than anything we’ve seen in about 15 years. And for those that wanted Hugh Freeze, they should be happy as can be. They got him. Just without the baggage (cell phone and list of hookers).
Well, Liberty plays Ole Miss in a couple of weeks all the Freeze & Kiffin guys can watch their guys go at it. Should be interesting.

GetYouSomeofThat

Yep. Whatever it is, it is showing signs of being better than anything we’ve seen in about 15 years. And for those that wanted Hugh Freeze, they should be happy as can be. They got him. Just without the baggage (cell phone and list of hookers).
Its a good thing that all Hookers aren't considered baggage...we would be down to 2 qbs..😁

OrangeJuicebox

If Heupel threw too much at his offense from the get-go, people would be complaining about execution. Right now I see good execution, with just enough diversity not to overwhelm the players. Can’t expect a thick playbook at the beginning of year 1 with so many new faces.

Give it time. The innovation will come, but it is pointless without the reps needed for consistent execution. For now, the fast pace makes up the difference by forcing the defense to react quickly.

Sudden Impact

Who we are is what We do with what We have!
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?
Innovation is irrelevant. Effectiveness is all that matters, and Heupel's offense is effective.

vollygirl

GO VOLS!!!
Staff member
Heupel calls plays to compliment the tools he has to work with. Butch was trying to fit square pegs into round holes all over the field. Don’t confuse the two
Interestingly enough, the last coach we had that called plays to player's strengths.....was Kiffin.

VN Store