Heupel’s offense is not innovative

Good grief, we won today and we're still fighting amongst ourselves. Was this post dumb and completely useless, yes. Did we play well today, yes. The truth is none of us are truly czars of football and these are all opinions. If you like to argue, get married....as for the Vols, give them 100% support. This is OUR team, whether you like the tempo or the d@mn uniforms. We've improved, I think we can "mostly" all agree on that. We have a long way to go and let's enjoy improvement week to week. Don't get down when the Titans of CFB beat our depleted roster beat us. These kids are putting it down with all they got for the first time in memory.

The offense you see is all the QBs can handle. This staff is great and can win a lot of games if they can get the players to can execute. As for now, It’s way too soon to tell how it’s going end up.
Good post. The new kid will be the key, because he will presumably get the full benefit of coaching/learning the offense. If he can excel in this system, we could be a top 10 team. Recruiting has to keep up of course, but we are depleted and working with two throwaway quarterbacks. Ole Miss barely missed a top 10 ranking with only a handful of quality players. I like Heupel and Banks, and they just might fool some people.

And still stupid
You’re missing the point. The poster I was responsding to thought the original post was today after the game. It appears he has deleted his comments now since I pointed this out to him. More to do with his comments than the guy criticizing Heupel’s offense.

It doesn’t have to be “innovative” if it is called well (which it was today), and if it’s executed well by the players (also accomplished). He seems to develop talent, utilize it well, and has a knack for calling plays at the right time to be successful. Over the last decade, around here, that’s innovative enough.

You’re missing the point. The poster I was responsding to thought the original post was today after the game. It appears he has deleted his comments now since I pointed this out to him. More to do with his comments than the guy criticizing Heupel’s offense.
Says Mr "we should leave the SEC because we're in the cellar and never getting better in this league". Some real irony for you

Says Mr "we should leave the SEC because we're in the cellar and never getting better in this league". Some real irony for you
Today was a good day and There may be some hope we can consistently beat up the lower SEC teams. tHeupel should get three years to build from the 70 some available scholarship players now. However I am still skeptical we will ever compete for division and Sec titles. Hope I’m wrong on everything. I still believe with Texas and OK coming in it will make it much harder to improve the program.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
I don’t care how Heupel runs his offense long as it scores points!

So far, it’s working.
Yep. Whatever it is, it is showing signs of being better than anything we’ve seen in about 15 years. And for those that wanted Hugh Freeze, they should be happy as can be. They got him. Just without the baggage (cell phone and list of hookers).

Reactions: OllVol and KptVFL
Yep. Whatever it is, it is showing signs of being better than anything we’ve seen in about 15 years. And for those that wanted Hugh Freeze, they should be happy as can be. They got him. Just without the baggage (cell phone and list of hookers).
Basically we got Kiffin or Freeze without the sizzle or BS. The guys on the team respond to him which means (eventually) the recruits will too.

Basically we got Kiffin or Freeze without the sizzle or BS. The guys on the team respond to him which means (eventually) the recruits will too.
Yep. Happy to have a coach with some substance and what appears to be some coaching acumen. After Lane’s sleaze and ego, Dooley’s shower etiquette, Butch’s cliches and anything you want to name about Cornbread, Heupel is a breath of fresh air. Still got a ways to go but it’s a start.

Well put.

I disliked Kiffin. I argued that Dooley should get a fair shot but didn't have a ton of confidence that he could turn things around. NEVER bought Jones (Notably he's now 1-4 at Ark St). Never bought Pruitt though I thought he was a good teacher of the game when it comes to skills.

I'm buying Heupel. I really like his leadership. The team is improving. I think UT should have beaten Pitt but the Vol's are starting to play to the level of their roster talent and maybe more than that.

The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?
I am just happy to see a screen pass or a pass to a TE or RBs running with clear fields ahead or passes completed downfield. WOW and non INT and Lots of Points.

Reactions: OllVol
Well put.

I disliked Kiffin. I argued that Dooley should get a fair shot but didn't have a ton of confidence that he could turn things around. NEVER bought Jones (Notably he's now 1-4 at Ark St). Never bought Pruitt though I thought he was a good teacher of the game when it comes to skills.

I'm buying Heupel. I really like his leadership. The team is improving. I think UT should have beaten Pitt but the Vol's are starting to play to the level of their roster talent and maybe more than that.
I feel like Butch Jones doesn’t know what he is doing.

Reactions: sjt18
Football has been around for 140 years systems and styles have evolved but it is hard to be creative/innovative at this point with football minds examining new ways to “skin a cat” for that long. It’s about execution and situational scheming. Talent notwithstanding

Well put.

It was hard not to buy in on 2013-2014-2015 Jones with the way he recruited

Well put.

Agreed. He’s coming into a horrible situation from both a roster and a cultural standpoint. And how many excuses from him?

Agreed. He’s coming into a horrible situation from both a roster and a cultural standpoint. And how many excuses from him?
I don't know how old you are but this is not the terrible roster everyone keeps talking about. Could it be better with Jahmir Johnson and a couple of others? Yes. But I suspect that Henry T NOT being in the locker room has made the D better.

They have depth at DL. They're playing 6 guys at ILB effectively. The secondary is building depth.

The OL is thin but they're building every week. They put guys in yesterday while the game was still semi-competitive who haven't played much.

All the credit goes to Heupel for coaching this roster... but it isn't quite as bad as people have claimed.

I don't know how old you are but this is not the terrible roster everyone keeps talking about. Could it be better with Jahmir Johnson and a couple of others? Yes. But I suspect that Henry T NOT being in the locker room has made the D better.

They have depth at DL. They're playing 6 guys at ILB effectively. The secondary is building depth.

The OL is thin but they're building every week. They put guys in yesterday while the game was still semi-competitive who haven't played much.

All the credit goes to Heupel for coaching this roster... but it isn't quite as bad as people have claimed.
What was up with To'o To'o?

Football has been around for 140 years systems and styles have evolved but it is hard to be creative/innovative at this point with football minds examining new ways to “skin a cat” for that long. It’s about execution and situational scheming. Talent notwithstanding

Coaches know this, at least the good ones do. End of day, you have 11 guys on the field as does your opponent. How big, fast, and their locations are become entirely up to the coaches.

VN Store

Back