Heupel’s offense is not innovative

Disapproval said that we finally threw a slant pass.Watching the Bama/Florida game,I noticed that Florida completed.several passes across.the middle.Slant passes.that.were.the.responsibility of number.10.Number 10 just happens.to be Henry To'o'to'o.Some things never change.Maybe we should throw slants.all.day against Bama.

Reactions: KptVFL and GordonC
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?
Welcome to WR screen U. Gonna go back and watch his play at OK I'm curious, did he learn to read a defense when he played because from the looks of it he isn't teaching it.

Last edited:
Welcome to WR screen U. Gonna go back and watch his play at OK I curious, did he learn to read a defense when he played because from the looks of it he isn't teaching it.
we scored more points tonite than we did in 4 game stretch last year against GA, KY, Bama, amd Arkansas. Two of those games we should have won.

im happy where the offense is headed.

I am probably most baffled of all by takes that reference the spring game for any reason. How many times have we seen a huge spring game performance by a player who never does anything in fall? It's a yearly tradition. Spring games are not real games with real football situations. Especially for the QBs who have no contact jerseys.
I watched David Yancey run all over the place in spring games and when I was a kid iI saw a guy named Alvin Toles rum all over everyone then they put him on defense but it worked pretty well.

Who said it was supposed to be "innovative"? Maybe "effective" is more important? Considering there are open receivers running all over the field it seems it is effective. Huepel runs a combo of air raid mixed with Art Briles O. Briles was "innovative", but doesn't mean Huepel needs to be.

The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?
Its not innovative or creative but its a little better to watch than Pruitts offense.

Last edited:
Did you think had Coach Klein's green notebook?

Seriously though... did you think he was running different plays than anyone else? There's not a lot new in CFB. His "innovation" is in speed and spreading the field more than most.

Everything is still about execution in the end. QB's have to hit open receivers. WR's have to catch the ball. OL's need to be blocking someone at the whistle. RB's can't close their eyes, lower their heads, and drive into the butts of OL's. Some of that's going to come around. They're going to get better and some of them are going to get exponentially better.

Hooker played well. Still made some mistakes but was more effective than Milton. Bailey didn't look particularly good. They all have talent. Someone has to step up big.

Do yall think bailey will transfer? I'm sure he could start at a lot of GOOD programs. Great arm and much more elusive/mobile than we give him credit for
Name somewhere good he could start at. I watched a lot of games this weekend, and 90% of the teams want an athletic guy at that position. He could start at South Carolina and Vandy in the SEC. But not at UT, which may be the 12th best team in the league.

2 different staffs here wanted to recruit over him rather than invest the reps in prepare him for the field. That 5th star he was granted has convinced many fans that he’s a cant miss prospect.

Reactions: Birdie
This should scare the hell out of anyone who understands SEC football.
You will have to enlighten me.

If your offense is quickly scoring nearly every time they have the ball and having to kick it back off to the other team, that doesn’t seem too worrisome.

Reactions: Birdie
The first 3 games we have had 8 or 10 shots at massive pass plays, guys running 5-10 yards wide open. The plays that got those guys open are the scheme we are talking about here.

Heupel does not pass protect or run block, he does not run the routes or have to hit the holes, he does not have to catch the ball or throw the pass.

Our issues right now are Jimmys and Joes not X's and O's.

So using a very simple O at the fastest pace the team can go isn’t innovative? Interesting.

THE TEMPO ISN'T NEW EITHER

here's what i love about heupel's offense. it utilizes everybody......every skilled position on the attack. it is because it is a series of reads. this is what folk dont understand about it. this is why the OLINE is so important. it is based around the inside zone. off that is a series of plays, both quick and field-stretching. this is why we are seeing more of our wr's getting behind coverage. i love it!

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna
With Hooker Milton play the run and we have two turnovers at least and get stuffed because neither has eyes to see filed. Play Bailey and we might be 2 dimensional. However, he has not had enough game work.
so this is ur bailey excuse after how he played yesterday? so f'n weak

Don’t care. His offense has put up points everywhere he’s been.
It’s the personnel on the field that Matters

The offensive struggles have everything to do with the OL not winning their battles and nothing to do with the scheme being too simple.
exactly! and a good example of this was yesterday. Hooker faked the inside zone and had a wr wide open and at least 10 yards behind everyone down the middle, but wright whiffed on a block and as hooker was throwing the ball he got hit causing the ball to be underthrown when it otherwise would've been an easy touchdown. the system is good! need better oline play

Reactions: GoVols64

VN Store

Back