Heupel’s offense is not innovative

He doesn't get many snaps in practice and he was throwing to the 3rd team so don't write him off that quickly. You know what he did last season and during the O&W game.

If we need him he will do fine.

In a game where it was designed that the offense look good. That defense was even more vanilla than what we played against Tech today.

I didn't expect to see anything exotic against Tennessee Tech.
Really, when you get down to it, football is football. How exotic can you really get? The only difference I expected with Heupel, was a fast pace, which we’ve seen. It’s all about having players, executing plays, blocking and tackling and beating your man. We as fans, try to make it so much more complicated than what it really is. I just want a guy that can motivate the players he has to play to the best of their abilities or play above their ceiling, get some wins and then start recruiting the players we need to play at a high level.
And you are right, I think we’ll see a few wrinkles next week in Gainesville.
GBO!!

SIAP...But who cares? We didn’t hire him to generate patents and copyrights. He can borrow concepts from whoever he wants as long as he puts them together in a way that scores points and gets wins.

Personally, I like the way he uses his receivers in combinations to get them open and to provide blocking to create YAC...and yes I know that is typical spread.

Reactions: davethevol
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?
what innovation are you looking for? We run what everyone else does, players zig and zag, go north and south. Difference it seems, we have slow WRs and RB that aren’t very quick or can break tackles. We have a QB that can throw it 85 yards at anytime (not sure another school has that) but our WR are only fast enough for 65 yards. The pace is great because Oregon’s ran in low 20 range under Kelly.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?

Not sure if coaches actually do this but maybe he didn't wanna reveal too much for Florida to study. Also I couldn't catch the game but we put up 56 points? I'd say a lot of the plays worked? Dunno call me crazy...

And if that’s true, so what? It’s worked everywhere he’s been. And we have scored 30 or more points the first 3 games for the first time since 2004.

I’m sure our D is less sophisticated than under the genius Pruitt, and it’s playing better.

Do yall think bailey will transfer? I'm sure he could start at a lot of GOOD programs. Great arm and much more elusive/mobile than we give him credit for

I could give a damn about innovation. It is all about scheme, safety position, and numbers in the box. Add a legit mobile QB with Josh Dobbs like running abilities…just keep building on what we are doing right now. After last season and the mass roster exodus a bunch of y’all said we wouldn’t score less move the ball…especially without Bailey at QB.

We are 3 games in with less talent than the 2019 team. We scored 101 points through the first 3 games and gave up 67 in 2019 to start 1-3. We have scored 128 points and gave up only 47 for 2021 so far to start 2-1. This is with a new staff, new offensive system, new defensive system, and a loss of several players including some solid contributors/starters in year 1.

I feel more confident in this team this season to go beat Mizzu, South Carolina, Vandy, South Alabama, and Ole Miss as long as we can stay halfway healthy than if we had the 2019 team.

what innovation are you looking for? We run what everyone else does, players zig and zag, go north and south. Difference it seems, we have slow WRs and RB that aren’t very quick or can break tackles. We have a QB that can throw it 85 yards at anytime (not sure another school has that) but our WR are only fast enough for 65 yards. The pace is great because Oregon’s ran in low 20 range under Kelly.
Our skill players aren’t slow by any means what are you talking about?

So watching Clemson today with a QB exactly like Milton, I really think a good QB is a big difference in a contender versus a team just trying to get a winning season. Clemson has great recruiting, great players all over the field, but average QB play and they look like an average team. We are in the same boat without the same depth of players.

People who Say Butch 2.0 I ask, why is that bad? The problem with Jones wasn't his gameday coaching or strategy, it was the inability to develop and retain talent. Kids didn't want to play for him and it showed up at the worst possible times (vandy 2016 comes to mind). Time will tell if that's the case here or not but I have no problem with a high scoring offense.

People who Say Butch 2.0 I ask, why is that bad? The problem with Jones wasn't his gameday coaching or strategy, it was the inability to develop and retain talent. Kids didn't want to play for him and it showed up at the worst possible times (vandy 2016 comes to mind). Time will tell if that's the case here or not but I have no problem with a high scoring offense.

Butch's game day strategy was horrible. He spent a whole season with an RPO offense when the opposing team knew the QB wasn't going to run.

Do yall think bailey will transfer? I'm sure he could start at a lot of GOOD programs. Great arm and much more elusive/mobile than we give him credit for
Depends on Milton and Hooker. Jackson is coming in so he may transfer. I don't think he'll be at an SEC team or top program though. Maybe a team like Memphis

Butch's game day strategy was horrible. He spent a whole season with an RPO offense when the opposing team knew the QB wasn't going to run.
... And yet he's the only coach we have since Fulmer who beat Georgia and Florida in the same season. Again, I wasn't so upset with the type of offense we ran under Butch so if it's similar with Heupel hopefully we can win 9 games again soon. The real issue will be developing and retaining talent.

I am probably most baffled of all by takes that reference the spring game for any reason. How many times have we seen a huge spring game performance by a player who never does anything in fall? It's a yearly tradition. Spring games are not real games with real football situations. Especially for the QBs who have no contact jerseys.
David Yancey

Did you see anything different vs Pitt? Maybe a few more deep shots?
Are you ever ok with anything? We are at least scoring this year. The biggest issue right now is losing our projected starting center for now two and a half games this year. In this offense, the center is more important than just about any other scheme in the conference. They had some chemistry going with the season’s starting five. BTW, you do realize we played essentially every single person that dressed out in the last quarter and a half, right?

VN Store

Back