Heupel’s offense is not innovative

The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?

Great bump

You dont put up nearly 700 yards orherwise

The OP is still right, the juice of this offense isn't on the scheme. It's the speed of the offense making the defense choose what they want to defend. When you're up against overmatched teams you can do what we did today, but if you aren't in rhythm you can lose against almost anybody. Mizzous Defense was FCS level today.

The OPs post was fine if a bit oversimplified. The speed is the twist but there are a few other wrinkles a lot of people would not notice. However the guy that was like this is Butch Jones just faster....boo to you sir. Boo...To..You.

My post is still accurate
come back at the end of the season and then make the same statement. Right now it is inaccurate. They are getting better every game and were in total sync today. Basically scored everytime they had the ball...I know it was Missouri. BUT AT this POINT YOUR STATEMENT is DEAD IN THE WATER.

come back at the end of the season and then make the same statement. Right now it is inaccurate. They are getting better every game and were in total sync today. Basically scored everytime they had the ball...I know it was Missouri. BUT AT this POINT YOUR STATEMENT is DEAD IN THE WATER.

My post was simply that there’s nothing imaginative about the offense, just the pace and tempo that’s different. We could win out and average 60 points a game and my post is still accurate

It works. Who tf cares if it’s innovative. And I know Missouri is awful, but give us time and let us get some better athletes, and I think we’ll be very competitive.

Reactions: Volunteer Bee
My post was simply that there’s nothing imaginative about the offense, just the pace and tempo that’s different. We could win out and average 60 points a game and my post is still accurate
It is like most offenses...The Innovation comes from the play calling not the design. We will see how it stacks up in weeks to come. YOU Stuck your Foot in your Mouth at this point. Take it like a man and let the season play out, but the more you defend it at this point is a moot point. Again the plays are basic but the INNOVATION is the use of the Plays and calling it. There will be challenges this season but you can't call it INNOVATIVE when you don't have weapons but still manage to put the points on the board......Kids are getting it but here you stand still and defend a statement that is DEAD. 40 points a game and right at 500 yds a game. Something clicked in today but lets see what remains. Get your head out of your backside and admit you jumped the gun and made an ambiguous statement and one that can be interpreted the way you desire. I am not buying it.....It is bogus and Chicken Crap....

The OPs post was fine if a bit oversimplified. The speed is the twist but there are a few other wrinkles a lot of people would not notice. However the guy that was like this is Butch Jones just faster....boo to you sir. Boo...To..You.
OP and others were wrong and you're partially correct. The "twist" is two-fold.

The pace of play that tires the defense, keeps them from subbing, and often snaps the ball with them out of position. But also super-wide splits for the wide-outs that creates more open space for the defense to have to defend. So, the offense simplifies by primarily watching what the D does per stacking the box.

If they stack the box to stop the run, you pass it. If you are passing it, you watch the safeties to see what they will do. Since they have so much space to cover per the wide splits, they'll have to commit to the outside and leave the inside in 1x1. If they commit to the inside, the outside is 1x1 with lots of space.

If they pull help back to defend the secondary, you have numbers advantage at the line and you run it down their throat.

I'm not sure I'd call it "innovative" as it's been around a while since Briles, but it is different, it is simple, and it is effective.

The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?

He is doing something to get our receives open as much as they are getting open. I have seen more wide open receivers than I can remember seeing in a very long time.

This O flows off of running the ball. There are pass variants on every play. You run the ball and your receivers go 5-10 yards down feild and reset. By doing that we can snap the ball even faster. Every now and then we take off and the DBs are looking in the backfield. I don’t know if that’s innovative but we’ve had more receivers running behind the D this year than we’ve had in a long time.

He is doing something to get our receives open as much as they are getting open. I have seen more wide open receivers than I can remember seeing in a very long time.
It's the wide splits. It creates even more spread (open space to defend) than other spreads. Ever wonder why our screen passes are generally effective? The defenders are on an island. (And our WRs block well. And our WRs do well making the first guy miss.)

In the deep ball, the safeties have to pick a poison inside/out and put either corners and/or linebackers on islands. And as the screens continue working, it has the rest of the secondary cheating up to help, so we go over the top for those big play deep passes with defenders on islands.

Those wide splits are genius. We can thank Briles for it.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
My original post didn’t claim to refute others who said it was innovative. Where are you getting that I said that?
Probably this:
And as mentioned, that is missing intricacies that are very different from most other offenses.

VN Store

Back