Here is reality. We let UF put up 600 yards….

The way I see it we have one of the best offenses in the country led by a stud QB who doesn't turn the ball over. We have a defense who stops the run pretty well and forces you into a quarterback battle. Florida played super aggressive and got great qb play from a dual athlete and we still got the win, i like our chances any given week.

Florida was incredibly fortunate that it wasn’t any worse. We took our foot off the gas late and they almost punished us.
I didn't quite think they took their foot off the gas. They were actually too aggressive and didn't try the FG, then UF gets the onside kick.

You really should care. Florida is not a good team. Defensive deficiencies made this game closer than it should be. Do you think Nick Saban would be giddy for giving up 600+ yards and 453 yards to a horrible QB?

You are just stupid. Go be miserable with Pruitt and talk about defense. We beat Florida and who cares how. We just did and you are still a miserable piece of crap.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
The defense has to get better. Period.
I agree with you, Alabama and Georgia are good enough to stop you offensively two or three positions , so we are gonna have to get better.. specially upfront, pass rush makes up for lack of talent in the back field.. we’ve got to create more pressure… Florida took what we gave them today.. I wasn’t impressed with some of the defensive play calling either.. Florida’s game plan/offensive coordinator called a good game… credit to them and there coaching staff.., We’ve just gotta continue to get better great win though!!!

plenty of teams have made the playoffs with worse offenses and defenses then the vols currently have

I don’t think this is a good way to think about it. It’s defeatist and not even really accurate. On any day, in any game, our opponent will win or lose based on how well we play, how well they play, luck, the weather, officiating, and other variables.

Did our defense play as well as we would like today? No, there were things that can be improved upon. There are lessons to take away and specifics to spend time working on in practice.

That said, how much improvement we have between now and the next opponent is not something we can control. We will be where we are when it’s time to play LSU.

We can figure out what we want to do better and work on it. If we didn’t improve enough, or our offense and special teams don’t do well enough to make up the difference, then maybe we will lose.

Win or lose, we will again identify areas that are not as good as they could be. Even if our defense plays amazing, offense is amazing, and special teams are amazing we will still find things to work on and be hopefully even better for the next game.

We could have such a great game, prepare for Alabama, be super confident, and then have a disappointing performance when we play them that has us scratching our heads because we thought we’d addressed those things.

Even if this happened, we might still win, because our opponent also has to perform well enough on the actual day that we play to score more points than we do. They could have a disappointing day themselves.

My point is: we can’t control outcomes, but we can control how we prepare. In general, over time, doing this we will likely see improvements that do result in good outcomes. This isn’t only true for football.

I’m not saying pretend things are perfect. I am saying that instead of focusing on what we “have” to improve, focus on what we did well, enjoy the win today, look at the areas we didn’t do as well on and identify the specific things that we can work on. Then prioritize and work on those things as you prepare for the next opponent.

It’s more useful to say we aren’t tackling well in certain situations or that our players were not in the right places during these specific plays, than to say “Wow, our defense sucked and has to get better.” It’s also important to recognize the positives and point out what people did well.

It does but Richardson made some phenomenal throws in big moments today and Pearsall made some great catches. Florida is a much better offensive team that people realize. Richardson just didn’t have a lot of confidence going into today. There’s a reason the NFL draft hype was surrounding him before the season started

I didn't quite think they took their foot off the gas. They were actually too aggressive and didn't try the FG, then UF gets the onside kick.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the actual play-calling there: three straight dive plays, followed by a one yard pass. Gave me flashbacks to Majors and/or Fulmer. (So maybe we ARE back. I remember that sick feeling so well.)

One the subject at hand: we're 2 or 3 players (or one Reggie White) from being a solid defense. The pressure was very good at times but inconsistent. Consistent pressure makes the secondary's job much much easier.

Richardson will be a first round selection in the draft... Gators passed us silly

His supposed draft status has absolutely positively unequivocally zero to do with his ass getting beat nor how the rest of our season turns out.

Yes, our secondary does look just as bad as last year, but we have improved in other areas that are making a difference. Those being our pass rush, and QB contain. All things considered, I thought we held Richardson in check running the ball pretty well.

Blue text?

Yes, blue font. It was a poor attempt at a good thought.

The reality is:
-We will always need to improve. Always.
-We are improving every week.
-Most of us notice both.
-Some of our fans act like Bama, gater, Georgia trolls and deserve to be treated as such
-We are 4-0
-We beat the Gaters
-Some of the people in this thread whining about how we won said we wouldn't win. Think about that.
-This is supposed to be fun.

VN Store

Back