Helton is either gone or we gain more coaches.... (opinion)

This happened awhile ago, but it's interesting NOT to think that if Tyson remains here that Calloway might come on staff... and maybe the brother if he gets fired at USC.
But it could strangely get weird and Tyson goes back to USC and Tee Martin comes here. Thoughts?!

USC strips offensive coordinator Tee Martin of play-calling duties, fires offensive line coach Neil Callaway – Orange County Register
Tee Martin is not comming to Tennessee to be a coach period. I think where the Vols messed up when they got rid of Channey and OL coach Pittman. I know they were let go after coaching change. But they were good when they were here before.

Reactions: LosingFaithVol
WellinformedTangibleBobwhite-small.gif
I guess you decided not to make a big moo-lodge out of it?

It’s impossible to know anything about these coaches with this roster.
I don't think its "impossible" to know "anything".

I'm undecided on how I feel overall, meaning I haven't made up my mind how good or bad I think they are, but I'm not as excited as I hoped I would be 9 games in.

The good news is there are at least 3 games left to this season, we still get to see how good our recruiting class turns out and next year should gives us a really good idea about how good, or bad they really are.

Just like always. I don't think its as good as some think, but I don't think its as bad as others think. But, I'm sure you know that.

Reactions: chargervol
This happened awhile ago, but it's interesting NOT to think that if Tyson remains here that Calloway might come on staff... and maybe the brother if he gets fired at USC.
But it could strangely get weird and Tyson goes back to USC and Tee Martin comes here. Thoughts?!

USC strips offensive coordinator Tee Martin of play-calling duties, fires offensive line coach Neil Callaway – Orange County Register
Just think, A lot of people wanted him as head coach here at UT...Scary huh?

Freeze?

Haha. I really see no difference in "next year" and this. "We" always think its gonna be different.... Next time.
Freeze has been black balled by the SEC...You probably will never see him coach on a conference team again.

I'll get blasted for this but if Helton goes I think JG will transfer for multiple reasons. The main one for two years he has basically lived on the grass in Shield-Watkins Field next year might not be much better. Second it will be his 4th OC, a fresh start at a lower level school will probably be easier and he will still have two years. "IF" Helton leaves it wouldn't surprise me to see JG walk.

Hugh Freeze is the new OC for the Arizona Hotshots in the new AAF league. It won't be him, if any change is made

Unless a coach leaves, I doubt we see any change this off season. After next year, all bets are off.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think Helton has done a bad job with what he has to work with. If anyone needs to be looked at, it's Will Friend on the O-line. Either way, I would retain everyone into next season to build a little continuity and then use that as the measuring stick. We know we won't be truly 'competitive' until 2020/21, so why not promote some stability.

Friend and Helton were given chicken soup to make fried chicken

Reactions: ButchBettaBeGone
Heck yeah
Remember that one time when we hired................

Lol, I swear I don't get it. With the hires we've made over the past 10 years, AD down to S&C coach, you would think this bunch would want to give some of these guys at least a fawking season before they start wanting to throw out a bunch of names as replacements, that we will never hire.

Reactions: VolinMC
Lol, I swear I don't get it. With the hires we've made over the past 10 years, AD down to S&C coach, you would think this bunch would want to give some of these guys at least a fawking season before they start wanting to throw out a bunch of names as replacements, that we will never hire.
I think we can get Saban to come be an analyst

Helton stays and makes a name for himself as an OC then takes a PAC 12 HC job in 2022. There’s my crystal ball for the day and I’m spent.

I don't think its "impossible" to know "anything".

I'm undecided on how I feel overall, meaning I haven't made up my mind how good or bad I think they are, but I'm not as excited as I hoped I would be 9 games in.

The good news is there are at least 3 games left to this season, we still get to see how good our recruiting class turns out and next year should gives us a really good idea about how good, or bad they really are.

Just like always. I don't think its as good as some think, but I don't think its as bad as others think. But, I'm sure you know that.
The other bad news is what we lose and what we don't. We lose Phillips and Tuttle and no one has shown anything to suggest "plug and play" in their place.
Bright spot on defense, Alontae Taylor.

Recruiting may very well bring hope for the future but I still have pause about the offensive line. While we look poised to bring in some real talent, most successful freshmen are scattered amongst veteran players. Trying to play all young guys up front isn't ideal in any way and our returning linemen, well...
Bright spot there, the return of Kennedy.

Unfortunately, it's possible that year 3 is when we make a bigger jump (if the staff is legit). Hard to post that given how long we've already waited. I do like our schedule for next year much better than this season though.

Don't buy the lack of talent argument at all. There is no way Shoop is running trains on people in Starkville with better talent than he had at Tennessee either year. Straight up Butch is 100000% responsible for him looking like a horrible DC>

Shoop hates Butch. I know this for a fact. Butch called him “Yale boy” in a derogatory way. Wouldn’t let Shoop coach how he wanted. Wouldn’t let Shoop have his defensive coaches that knew his system.

The band player is a joke of a coach and joke of a person.

When coaches are stripped of the duties or fired there is a reason. I hope that JP's football program does not have the rinse and repeat cycle

After reading the original post, I tried to think and nothing happened.
I also tried NOT to think and nothing happened.
I don't know what to try now.
I also don't NOT know what to try.
Try starting with 2nd post.....saves time !

I'll get blasted for this but if Helton goes I think JG will transfer for multiple reasons. The main one for two years he has basically lived on the grass in Shield-Watkins Field next year might not be much better. Second it will be his 4th OC, a fresh start at a lower level school will probably be easier and he will still have two years. "IF" Helton leaves it wouldn't surprise me to see JG walk.
JG as a junior is going to be one of the top 5 returning QBs in the SEC next year with all of his skill position returning beside him. Top 5 QBs in the SEC don't transfer down a level as they are trying to get to the next level. I think many in our fanbase have him undervalued.

I can't see anything to indicate Will Friend has earned a paycheck this season.

Probably better to start with him if there are any changes.

Helton made some good adjustments in gameplan against Auburn and SC and showed some promise.

Shoop hates Butch. I know this for a fact. Butch called him “Yale boy” in a derogatory way. Wouldn’t let Shoop coach how he wanted. Wouldn’t let Shoop have his defensive coaches that knew his system.

The band player is a joke of a coach and joke of a person.

Jones sucks as a coach and sucks worse as a human. Shown his true colors time and again since being fired.

And he's too stupid and arrogant to realize Saban is doing Sexton a solid by letting him hang out around the team to keep a client in the news.

Reactions: FranklinVol-615

VN Store

Back