Helton is either gone or we gain more coaches.... (opinion)

Hasn't been a complete season yet....Helton is handicapped by the OL mainly....He has had good game plans, but if they can't figure out who to block....game plans won't work.

The Shoop experiment showed us how a great coordinator can be handcuffed by the system (and of course lack of talent). We've changed staffs more the last decade then some on here change their undies. Let's try a little consistency for once. Maybe, just maybe, the man in charge has a plan. I am hopeful we'll see some life out of the offense these next 3 weeks that will get this team bowl eligible and some positive mojo going into 2019.

I’m not thrilled with our offense so far but like many I think Helton has been handicapped by our talent. However, if we make a change we should be swinging for the fences.
Most of the time when a player swings for the fence,,,, he strikes out!!!

This happened awhile ago, but it's interesting NOT to think that if Tyson remains here that Calloway might come on staff... and maybe the brother if he gets fired at USC.
But it could strangely get weird and Tyson goes back to USC and Tee Martin comes here. Thoughts?!

USC strips offensive coordinator Tee Martin of play-calling duties, fires offensive line coach Neil Callaway – Orange County Register

Clay Helton isn't going to hire his brother to be the new OC in a hot seat year. If he does, that is all the reasoning USC will need to fire Helton on the spot.

If Helton doesn't go out and hire a legit OC to turn things around, he will be gone. If his grand idea is to hire his brother who is one year into an OC title, he deserves to be fired on the spot. It isn't like Helton hiring Tyson would be like hiring Kiffin, Ryan Day, or a Joe Moorhead type at OC.

Reactions: Remy
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think Helton has done a bad job with what he has to work with. If anyone needs to be looked at, it's Will Friend on the O-line. Either way, I would retain everyone into next season to build a little continuity and then use that as the measuring stick. We know we won't be truly 'competitive' until 2020/21, so why not promote some stability.
I agree

Reactions: vols4evah
The Shoop experiment showed us how a great coordinator can be handcuffed by the system (and of course lack of talent). We've changed staffs more the last decade then some on here change their undies. Let's try a little consistency for once. Maybe, just maybe, the man in charge has a plan. I am hopeful we'll see some life out of the offense these next 3 weeks that will get this team bowl eligible and some positive mojo going into 2019.

Don't buy the lack of talent argument at all. There is no way Shoop is running trains on people in Starkville with better talent than he had at Tennessee either year. Straight up Butch is 100000% responsible for him looking like a horrible DC>

Don't buy the lack of talent argument at all. There is no way Shoop is running trains on people in Starkville with better talent than he had at Tennessee either year. Straight up Butch is 100000% responsible for him looking like a horrible DC>
It may be a combination of talent AND development.

With Fulmer in place I think we now have that opportunity. Basilio said that rumblings indicate Pruitt and Helton don’t see eye to eye. I’d like to see us go after someone with prior success in the SEC. There’s at least one available right now...

You and your “rumblings.” Always wrong AF.

I loved Tee as a player, but he supposedly scored an 11 on his Wonderlic test which roughly translates to somewhere between an 68-85 IQ (Wonderlic score of 5= 68 IQ and Wonderlic score of 14=85 IQ). His college admission test scores were low as well. Intelligence tests are not everything in life--or coaching-- of course, but I believe that there is a strong correlation between football coaching success and intelligence. I'm just not sure Tee will ever be a brilliant game planner. Hope I'm wrong though.

Changing systems after one year? I seriously doubt a rookie head coach does that

It’s too risky esp when the offense and JG have made progress

I’d consider trying to find a new OL possibly thats def a position that can be tough to find the right one and you guys have consistently complained about OL with 2 5 star OTs and plenty of others like Marcus Tatum who had offers from all over

Plus I remember dawg fans thinking he was a rather lackluster coach also

Good recruiter tho but OL is absolutely one of those positions along with QB where u almost always have to coach em up even the 5 stars

Just look at FSU tons of highly rated kids outta hs yet they are HORRIBLE!! Why cuz Jimbo kept his best buddy trickett around 4 years too long should of left with jamies’

Last edited:
I don't see why people are so enamored about Tee Martin. I know he won an NC as a QB, but has he really shown that he is a great coach?

Reactions: uvavol
I don't see why people are so enamored about Tee Martin. I know he won an NC as a QB, but has he really shown that he is a great coach?
Assuming he just got fired mid season if I’m not mistaken or demoted I’d say no

The pac 12 is awful esp recruiting on def side and USC routinely has these classes with 5* high 4* QBs WRs RBs

No excuse not to our talent and out score the hell out of every one but Stanford they at least play with fire usually and Shaw has proven himself the best coach in that conference along with Petersen

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think Helton has done a bad job with what he has to work with. If anyone needs to be looked at, it's Will Friend on the O-line. Either way, I would retain everyone into next season to build a little continuity and then use that as the measuring stick. We know we won't be truly 'competitive' until 2020/21, so why not promote some stability.

Helton has been handicapped by Pruitt. Turn him loose and let him run the offense with the players he thinks should play and I think you'll be surprised. Funny how defensive coordinators think they know offense the minute the become a head coach.

We havent has the most success on offense, but that is as much about talent deficits as it is anyhting. We have to break the habit of jumping on the coaching carousel when things dont go right immediately. Helton has proven that he can move the ball in-spite of our offensive line being weak using wide reciever screens and getting the ball out quick over the middle. He needs time to develope his offense and build it around developing players. Our strong recruiting class will help build the line and skill positions so he can open up the playbook a little more. He is plenty capable, he just needs the time to do what the previous coaching staff didnt do. You can't ask the guy to runa high octane offense with low octane players. He is digging out of a hole, give him the lessons from this season, fresh recruits and an off-season and he will have our offense running on a whole new level next year.

Reactions: sport3500

VN Store

Back