Helton is either gone or we gain more coaches.... (opinion)

Shoop hates Butch. I know this for a fact. Butch called him “Yale boy” in a derogatory way. Wouldn’t let Shoop coach how he wanted. Wouldn’t let Shoop have his defensive coaches that knew his system.

The band player is a joke of a coach and joke of a person.

Yep. Like I don’t see why you fire Jancek if you’re not gonna allow a top 10 DC freedom

Here's some things I found on Helton, maybe we should give these guys the time needed to do their job..... There is a lot more out there on him, but I'm too lazy right now.

" Helton spent his previous five seasons at UAB coaching the quarterbacks. Under Helton's guidance, Joe Webb developed into one of the most prolific quarterbacks in NCAA history. In 2009 Webb became the first player in NCAA history to pass for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 in back-to-back seasons. "

" In 2012, Helton mentored Darrin Reaves, a First-Team All-Conference USA selection who rushed for 1,037 yards and 13 touchdowns. Reaves became the Blazers' only first-team, all-conference running back selection in school history, and the first Blazer all-league running back pick overall since the 2004 season. "

2013 "He was also part of a staff that produced the most prolific offensive unit in Cincinnati history. The Bearcats set the school record with 6,137 yards of total offense and led the American Athletic Conference, averaging 472.1 yards per game. "

2014 "Helton coordinated the most successful offense in Hilltopper football history in his first year on the job, helping quarterback Brandon Doughty lead the country in passing yards (4,830) and touchdowns (49) in what proved to be one of the top-10 greatest seasons for a quarterback in FBS history. As the offensive coordinator, Helton helped break 49 team and conference records as Doughty went on to earn league MVP honors and the Sammy Baugh Award, given to the nation's top quarterback by the Touchdown Club of Columbus. "

" Helton's 2015 offense finished in the top 10 nationally in total yards per game, passing yards per game, scoring, and passing efficiency, and he was among the finalists for the FootballScoop Offensive Coordinator of the Year award. "

Obviously I have no idea if we are going to change OC's, but I'd bet money if we do, it won't be Freeze. I'm not gonna make a big deal about it or make fun of anyone who thinks we will, because of the obvious.

That being said, my advice to Jack is, don't do it to yourself. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Look at our history. It ain't gonna happen.

If Helton leaves after this season (which I hope he doesn’t) then we need to hire someone with SEC success. If we don’t, then we have confirmation that we’re still not serious about football.

Freeze has been black balled by the SEC...You probably will never see him coach on a conference team again.

Blackballed from coming to UT in 2018. He’ll be accepted as OC at Alabama in 2019 or 2020.

Freeze and Briles both of em are names everyone in the country mentions as the new oc they should get

And the years keep passing lol maybe briles jr can crawl out the gutter but even he had to start at fau and it was kiffin who pulled the trigger and hired him and he obviously dgaf so that even mean much lol

If Helton leaves after this season (which I hope he doesn’t) then we need to hire someone with SEC success. If we don’t, then we have confirmation that we’re still not serious about football.

I didn't know we needed more confirmation.

Reactions: Jack Burton
I don't think its "impossible" to know "anything".

I'm undecided on how I feel overall, meaning I haven't made up my mind how good or bad I think they are, but I'm not as excited as I hoped I would be 9 games in.

The good news is there are at least 3 games left to this season, we still get to see how good our recruiting class turns out and next year should gives us a really good idea about how good, or bad they really are.

Just like always. I don't think its as good as some think, but I don't think its as bad as others think. But, I'm sure you know that.

Like always, The truth is usually somewhere in the middle, too early even now, to evaluate the coaching staff.
Most of the same players that represented the worst football team in Tennessee history, shouldn’t that be taken into consideration?

I didn't know we needed more confirmation.

Well, I still have some hope with Fulmer in charge and Pruitt coming from a school that cares about winning. It may not be long before he’s as jaded as we are then it’s officially dead.

As long as we keep getting whipped up
This happened awhile ago, but it's interesting NOT to think that if Tyson remains here that Calloway might come on staff... and maybe the brother if he gets fired at USC.
But it could strangely get weird and Tyson goes back to USC and Tee Martin comes here. Thoughts?!

USC strips offensive coordinator Tee Martin of play-calling duties, fires offensive line coach Neil Callaway – Orange County Register
As long as we keep getting whipped up front, to an extent, it doesn't matter who our O.C. is. This is a line of scrimmage league, and if you can't compete along those lines you don't have a shot. I hope the staff focuses their efforts on filling out the class with the best lineman they can get.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
Why do you say that?

Well I've heard that Helton got to open up the offense against Auburn and Bama but in the second half was told to keep it on the ground. I have also heard that Pruitt is set on building a running game, which I'm not saying is bad, but if left to Helton we would open it up more in the air and take our chances.

As for players I've heard that Helton would like to get more players involved.. that's all I was told.

NOW: Everything I've been told is simply that... There's no proof of it... And it is simply a comment and no one has to agree with it but if anyone else has heard this it might be interesting to hear about it.

Well I've heard that Helton got to open up the offense against Auburn and Bama but in the second half was told to keep it on the ground. I have also heard that Pruitt is set on building a running game, which I'm not saying is bad, but if left to Helton we would open it up more in the air and take our chances.

As for players I've heard that Helton would like to get more players involved.. that's all I was told.

NOW: Everything I've been told is simply that... There's no proof of it... And it is simply a comment and no one has to agree with it but if anyone else has heard this it might be interesting to hear about it.
Preciate the info but it sounds like a bunch of BS, imo. And I mean no disrespect to your source. I’ve just never been one to believe that kind of stuff. However, IF Pruitt had a hand in play calling against Auburn and Bama then I’d think more highly of him because it helped us beat Auburn and prevented the players from getting more embarrassed by Alabama.

Preciate the info but it sounds like a bunch of BS, imo. And I mean no disrespect to your source. I’ve just never been one to believe that kind of stuff. However, IF Pruitt had a hand in play calling against Auburn and Bama then I’d think more highly of him because it helped us beat Auburn and prevented the players from getting more embarrassed by Alabama.

I think I said that Helton was running the offense without interference against Auburn and Bama... With Pruitt pushing him to slow it down 2nd half... Sorry if I confused you to the point that you thought I said Pruitt had a hand in the Auburn and Bama games... though I'm sure to some extent he did.

I could be reaching but I think Chryst is Helton's guy but JG is Pruitt's guy. Pruitt howls about JG's toughness but the OC can't even speak so who really knows.

Small thing but during Bama game when Chryst was at QB. The play calling really opened up. Two great drives then after the safety you can tell Pruitt pulled the plug. But when JG was in. He called a safe game. I could be wrong here but it doesn't seem like Helton has much faith at all in JG to run his offense at all.

I don't need to here it again if you heard it from reliable source.

The other bad news is what we lose and what we don't. We lose Phillips and Tuttle and no one has shown anything to suggest "plug and play" in their place.
Bright spot on defense, Alontae Taylor.

Recruiting may very well bring hope for the future but I still have pause about the offensive line. While we look poised to bring in some real talent, most successful freshmen are scattered amongst veteran players. Trying to play all young guys up front isn't ideal in any way and our returning linemen, well...
Bright spot there, the return of Kennedy.

Unfortunately, it's possible that year 3 is when we make a bigger jump (if the staff is legit). Hard to post that given how long we've already waited. I do like our schedule for next year much better than this season though.
Agreed.
Infusion of talent coming on the o line, but it's gonna be young.

We will have #'s on the DL, but as of yet don't have the same infusion of top level talent coming in.

I think we'll be pretty darn good at many positions around the LOS, But until we get depth and quality there... We're gonna be a question mark.

Year three roster wise looks like the first shot at seeing this staff with something close to what they're looking for personnel wise.

But the schedule ramps up that year again.

Patience sucks. But we need to find some. Cause we're gonna need it.

Reactions: chargervol
Freeze might be at Auburn as OC next season.

I have had my criticisms of Helton this year. I just want to see more misdirection and counter plays.

VN Store

Back