Hello everyone it's time once again to play everyone's favorite game show, RATE THIS CLASS!

I am impressed with what Pruitt did with this class. I would rate it as a B with the possibility of a B+.

Let's hope he can learn some HC lessons from last year.

Let us know when he actually starts signing better players from out of state. Doesn't appear to be happening this year.

If a coach can't lock down his own state in recruiting then it's going to be tough to recruit anywhere long term.

Not sure him being too busy to recruit last year because he was too busy helping Alabama win another title is an argument I would make as a Vol fan but you keep doing you buddy.

Not saying I know all the answers but it sure isn't that tough to read recruiting rankings and see how this program needs to do better in recruiting if they are going to become relevant again.
I agree. We're getting lower half SEC results so far. Gonna take more than that because CJP does not appear to be a coaching genius.

Reactions: Thorp32
To me grading depends on what conference you're in, where you are located, and what your goals are. If the VOLS were in the PAC 12 or even the Big 8 early signing might = a grade of B or B+ but being from the South in SEC country I see no better than a grade of C. Forget S&C adding to the quality of the class, forget Pruitt being the best coach to coach them up, forget thinking Pruitt is better at spotting diamonds any better than other SEC coaches. All good coaches have S&C as a priority, they all can HC as good as Pruitt currently does, and all of them see intangibles in under rated players. It's true no matter what you want to think. Pruitt seems to be an excellent DB coach but DBs alone are not gonna win big. As stated in several of my previous posts, I am a big believer in coaching over X & Os. With that said I look forward to CJP coaching for 4 or 5 years and getting a system set up. I don't know if he can get the VOLS back to SEC championships or NCs but I see him winning 8 - 9 games a year and other teams not taking him for granted.

One last comment. Please stop the Jones bashing. He had his faults but he beat Ga, USCe, had OK, Fl, and Bama fighting for their lives. Not getting blown by 25 pts average. (but glad we moved on). He had several of his recruits drafted.

I am impressed with what Pruitt did with this class. I would rate it as a B with the possibility of a B+.

Let's hope he can learn some HC lessons from last year.
Sorry but this doesn't equate to a B+. Maybe the Big 12.
The Southeastern Conference
Another trend that shows no sign of stopping: SEC dominance on signing day. As of Wednesday afternoon, teams from the SEC occupied the top four spots in the national team rankings compiled by 247Sports.com — Alabama, followed by Georgia, then Texas A&M, then LSU.

National signing day: Winners and losers from college football's early signing period

Reactions: McDad
We’re really dropping the ball on in state kids. We seem to be ignoring Tennessee high school kids that are signing with Clemson, Oklahoma, UGA, LSU.

Or maybe they just want to play for a top program? Not everyone that plays in Tennessee grew up a Vols fan...

Well, according to the rankings, we are still in the mid-to upper tier of the SEC, though I would still like to jump Florida and possibly Auburn..

Get Darnell Wright and Eric Gray and we should fine. Gonna take another year or two to get things right..

Reactions: Ratvol
Sorry but this doesn't equate to a B+. Maybe the Big 12.
The Southeastern Conference
Another trend that shows no sign of stopping: SEC dominance on signing day. As of Wednesday afternoon, teams from the SEC occupied the top four spots in the national team rankings compiled by 247Sports.com — Alabama, followed by Georgia, then Texas A&M, then LSU.

National signing day: Winners and losers from college football's early signing period
Thanks for posting the link. I thought Pruitt did a horrible job as the HC this year. With that and still being able to pull in the kids that he did I think tell us he is a pretty darn good recruiter. If he can get Couch and the other 5 star kid it would be a B+ IMO

Well, according to the rankings, we are still in the mid-to upper tier of the SEC, though I would still like to jump Florida and possibly Auburn..

Get Darnell Wright and Eric Gray and we should fine. Gonna take another year or two to get things right..
I misunderstood what i heard on the radio. are we ranked 17th nationally?

I see a focus on OL on DL. Looks like we are getting some quality players on OL and if Wright chooses us then that'll be a great haul.

DL doesn't really have any breathtakers but Pruitt recruited some big guys. Should be perfect for the defensive transition.

If CJP is concentrating on position of need instead of signing the best rated talent, the class may be a big boost to our program. Unfortunately, like with most other things CJP related, i am resigned to hope instead of seeing evidence.

Not even Saban could do that. Talent level is significantly more valuable in building a program than coaching.

Thats not what I have been told on here. I mean look at what guys like McDad post. A first year head coach doesnt appear to be a coaching genius. I mean lol. There are people on here that have told me that it is solely a coaches responsibility that a player executes. And that the talent of a player makes litte difference as long as you have a great coach.

Reactions: jwilliams
I agree. We're getting lower half SEC results so far. Gonna take more than that because CJP does not appear to be a coaching genius.

Nah...we are fine. Apparently he thinks he is good enough to call the defense and offense now 😁

"Offensive coordinators are overrated" ...this coming after all the nice things Helton said about him yesterday lol.

It was a "needs" class with being heavy on O line, DB, and D line so it was likely gonna be a little lower ranked but this thing is hurting for clear cut early impact players IMO.

More like a lot of development and hoping for the best. Not seeing where they get much pressure from edge rushers or LB. Also thinking 2 JC DT and a project like Simmons isn't going to do much to stop the run.

The perpetual rebuild that is UT football probably just got longer. This is the DOT of SEC programs. Always building but never getting anywhere.

I misunderstood what i heard on the radio. are we ranked 17th nationally?
We are ranked 17th nationally but only 7th in the SEC which is the most important rating. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. UT will not develop the program fast enough for most of us fans until they can compete with the SEC elites in recruiting. Settling for left over 3 star recruits will not get it done and we have too many of them.

Thats not what I have been told on here. I mean look at what guys like McDad post. A first year head coach doesnt appear to be a coaching genius. I mean lol. There are people on here that have told me that it is solely a coaches responsibility that a player executes. And that the talent of a player makes litte difference as long as you have a great coach.
We probably are on the same page. The variance between upper tier football programs and lower tier programs is much greater with the athletic talent than the coaching talent.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Hello Vols fans, time to chime on on how YOU would rate this class, where YOU FANS would rank this class and how many stars YOU would give each player. You never know, the next great talent scout may be lurking in the weeds.
Still have crouch and Eric graybin the way; pretty confident we get them. Darnell Wright will be here as well, and perhaps a couple surprise elite commits on the way. I’d say this will be a top ten class when all said and done...A-

We are ranked 17th nationally but only 7th in the SEC which is the most important rating. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. UT will not develop the program fast enough for most of us fans until they can compete with the SEC elites in recruiting. Settling for left over 3 star recruits will not get it done and we have too many of them.

Agree. The big problem is to get that talent you have to win. But in order to win, you have to have the talent. I would absolutely hate to be Jeremy Pruitt right now.

Nah...we are fine. Apparently he thinks he is good enough to call the defense and offense now 😁

"Offensive coordinators are overrated" ...this coming after all the nice things Helton said about him yesterday lol.

It was a "needs" class with being heavy on O line, DB, and D line so it was likely gonna be a little lower ranked but this thing is hurting for clear cut early impact players IMO.

More like a lot of development and hoping for the best. Not seeing where they get much pressure from edge rushers or LB. Also thinking 2 JC DT and a project like Simmons isn't going to do much to stop the run.

The perpetual rebuild that is UT football probably just got longer. This is the DOT of SEC programs. Always building but never getting anywhere.
Patience. We're only in year 11 of a 3 year rebuilding job.

Right on the money. We’ve addressed some needs thus far at OL, QB, TE and DB. Keyton at WR is good.

Majors concerns that we’re not bringing in studs at LB, DT and DE/OLB. If Gray signs tomorrow that’ll help our rb corps. Better pray that Wright and Crouch sign in Feb.

Thus has the makings of a good solid class, top 15 nationally or so. However, leaves us still further behind and losing ground to the SEC big boys.

THIS!! We are not going to move the needle much against some of our stronger SEC programs when recruiting does not match or beat them. Like it or not mid range recruiting will most often begat mid range performances on the field.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Still have crouch and Eric graybin the way; pretty confident we get them. Darnell Wright will be here as well, and perhaps a couple surprise elite commits on the way. I’d say this will be a top ten class when all said and done...A-

Dont know if Crouch and Wright are 100% Vols but I aure hope so. I think we finishnoutside the top 10. Somewhere around 13th.

UF nearly doubled the Vols up on 4 stars today, 13 to 7 according to 24-7.

Looks like their rebuild may be going a little better.

Hope Pruitt can close string with Wright, Gray, Crouch and a couple others in February.

Reactions: McDad
We just held serve today and it was wasted time keeping up with the news all day. I knew yesterday what the results were going to be.

C+...

Need more to come onboard within next six weeks.

Need to sign six averaging 4.286538926587394 stars.

This type of post is why i have only a little latitude with you when it comes to our football team. You build incredibly inaccurate straw men arguments.
Ftr...CJP performed slightly better than my 4-8 prediction. His Vandy game was despicable. He did not show us anything this year which could be described as coaching prowess.
When hired, the narrative was about the recruiting superstars on his staff. Sorry, im not impressed with any of it so far.

Reactions: MustafaRasta

VN Store

Back