Hello everyone it's time once again to play everyone's favorite game show, RATE THIS CLASS!

A solid middle of the pack SEC recruiting class. To win with a class like this one, you need a star offensive player, preferably a QB who is athletic enough to make plays on his own. UT doesn't have this on their roster currently. Will continue to chase the suddenly elusive 6th win each season to try and get to a mid December Bowl game.

How many other teams that finish 4-8 & 5-7 in the top 15-20 rankings CJP has done outstanding

How many other teams that finish 4-8 & 5-7 in the top 15-20 rankings CJP has done outstanding

It amazes me that people don't realize that simply by being in the SEC and having our facilities almost guarantees a top 20 team. We went through this with Butch and people acting as if he was some recruiting genius. Pruitt did what pretty much any other coach would have done.

A big meh given where we've been even 2-3 years ago and some of Butch's classes, but the benefit is they'll be in Pruitt's system as his own guys.

I don't know how to rate it as anything other than a C at this point. It can rise to a B if we can close strong and get our three leans.

The focus seems to be shared between the skill groups and the linemen. I would like to see more highly ranked linemen TBH. I know it doesn’t make for a sexy recruiting class, but they are who we are going to win behind in a few years. It takes longer to developer a linemen than it does a skill player. Linemen have to get stronger and learn a much more complex set of blocking assignments to be good. Invest in the linemen now and look at the skill guys next year.

Oline and secondary look solid. Hell this may end up being the best Oline class in a decade. Not really impressed with the rest BUT if we add some players like Crouch and Gray it looks passable in some deficient areas. Pruitt addressed the biggest hole on this team though in adding great offensive line talent. Now let's see how they develop it.

B+

There's no reason anyone should be disappointed when we have the 17th ranked class after having gone 4-8 and 5-7 the last 2 years. Given our situation, we've done extremely well. It could always be better, but it could also always be worse. Being able to pull in these caliber players doesn't happen often for teams that have been as bad as we've been the last several years. Just wait until we have some success on the field, that's when we'll start seeing top 5 classes again. But to expect any such thing right now is delusional.

13 4 star recruits in TN according to 24/7 for 2019.

1 has signed with the Vols so far.
There are 15 TN HS players that are 4* or higher (per Rivals). Of the top 14, we have signed 0 to date (E. Gray is only one outstanding). Oklahoma, UGA, OSU, Clemson have signed some of those 14 so top programs are going after many of those kids....
Clemson and OSU included brah. I didn’t type an exhaustive list. The state got raided by top programs but those players aren’t good enough for Vols.

247 State of Tennessee

If they so good how come CJP didn't get them? Could it be that he didn't seem to think they would fit his style that he wants to run? Could it be that he had basically no time last year dealing with coaching being hired as head coach and coaching Bama for the natty? So many reasons yet y'all are so worried about people leaving the state when there is plenty of guys else where that are just as good if not better. Good to know volnation people have all the answers and know what it takes to recruit players and coach them at that level lol

In state kids got to want to be here. Our glory years were built from kids from Ga, Alabama and the Carolinas. Sprinkle in a few from elsewhere. The Atlanta and the North Ga area has exploded to around 5 million people since then and Ga has as much talent as California these days. Build a program and the Tennessee kids will come. Who can blame them for going elsewhere?

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I don't care what level star they are as long as they can play, grow, improve, be taught, and win

I've seen 1 and 2 star players perform better than 5's. we need whatever fits the system for the future

I get your point here but in all honesty stuff like that is rare. There are only a handful of 5* awarded every year. Typically the higher ranked guys perform better. Why? They need much less coaching up.

You dont like the truth, sometimes. Im simply comparing the rank of Butch's and the current rank of Captain Cornbread's.
Does that hurt your feels?

Not at all. Just pointing out how pathetic your post was. You can compare all you want.

Reactions: Ratvol
If they so good how come CJP didn't get them? Could it be that he didn't seem to think they would fit his style that he wants to run? Could it be that he had basically no time last year dealing with coaching being hired as head coach and coaching Bama for the natty? So many reasons yet y'all are so worried about people leaving the state when there is plenty of guys else where that are just as good if not better. Good to know volnation people have all the answers and know what it takes to recruit players and coach them at that level lol

Let us know when he actually starts signing better players from out of state. Doesn't appear to be happening this year.

If a coach can't lock down his own state in recruiting then it's going to be tough to recruit anywhere long term.

Not sure him being too busy to recruit last year because he was too busy helping Alabama win another title is an argument I would make as a Vol fan but you keep doing you buddy.

Not saying I know all the answers but it sure isn't that tough to read recruiting rankings and see how this program needs to do better in recruiting if they are going to become relevant again.

Reactions: McDad
No surprises or steals today so a grade of "C". If we can learn the Alabama math and sign more than 25 maybe maybe we can improve. How many do we expect to sign anyway ?

VN Store

Back