Hard to decipher, but I THINK Jennings may be saying he’s back on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now address the part of the post you choose to ignore:

"A living language changes because the people using it experience culture changes. Said changes can include migrating to a different environment where they must create terms for new things. It also includes contact with other cultures where language components of cultures get integrated with each other in either straight form, corrupted form, or combined into an existing term. Changes also occur because each generation adds its own terminology, altered meaning (slang, idioms etc) and rules of usage. There's more but you get the idea. A dead language can't do this so will indeed be constant, but living language can't be constant no matter how much it tries to"

Don’t try this explanation in a game of scrabble...you would lose.

Reactions: 2 people
No language is constant except a dead one, like Latin. A living language changes because the people using it experience culture changes. Said changes can include migrating to a different environment where they must create terms for new things. It also includes contact with other cultures where language components of cultures get integrated with each other in either straight form, corrupted form, or combined into an existing term. Changes also occur because each generation adds its own terminology, altered meaning (slang, idioms etc) and rules of usage. There's more but you get the idea. A dead language can't do this so will indeed be constant, but living language can't be constant no matter how much it tries to me. Further, American English especially, has so much borrowed from other languages, one could debate whether English is really English anymore. And finally, JJ and other Afro-Americans aren't the only ones who jargonize English. Just listen to a Valley girl, a born and bred Texan, a Bronx resident, or a Canadian from Ontario and another one from Alberta. English isn't constant because the people who use it are in perpetual states of change by virtue of region, environmental induced usage, and generation changes. Think of it as a mutating computer virus.

So you're saying Jennings will be back?

Reactions: 5 people
For the ones what aren’t up to slang...Ubran Dictionary. You’re welcome. I as even a young person have to use it time from time.

Why? That's one of the major contributions of "civilization" - the ability to communicate through a common language. Language is as important as a system of weights and measures. Imagine your world if people simply started diddling with fixed measures or how they applied mathematics and science. Those are all tools that make civilization work.

I generally don't care about these errors, but this really bothers me for some reason. Perhaps it's the general tone of this thread.

I think it has a lot to do with educators who think you can teach a non phonetic language by phonics. Not surprising that the wrong choice of similarly pronounced words has become epidemic.

Why? That's one of the major contributions of "civilization" - the ability to communicate through a common language. Language is as important as a system of weights and measures. Imagine your world if people simply started diddling with fixed measures or how they applied mathematics and science. Those are all tools that make civilization work.

Language isn't constant. Our language has evolved, is evolving, and will continue to evolve as long as we continue using it in the way that we do, which you claim makes it fixed, when it is really a continuous transformation. You can empirically verify this by comparing languages from different time periods, different cultures, etc. Also, your example doesn't make much sense since science is also continuously evolving in its understanding of everything. Language evolution is the reality, our society is built around it, not on top of it.

Reactions: 3 people
As a fan, I am not happy for anyone to air our laundry publicly. However, since Jennings seems to be one of the few to understand the importance of that Vandy game, I can certainly overlook it. I do not believe for a minute the accusations that Hyams laid out repeatedly about him. I think had the coaches demonstrated an understanding of the game's importance, this tantrum never happens. I want all our kids to want to win that badly - so that they cannot stand defeat.

That's the big problem. Jennings needed to say what he did - at least to an extent. The Vandy game was important, but Jennings wasn't going to win it by himself, and he probably wasn't as fit and ready to go as he thought. Further, football is a team sport, and there likely wasn't enough time to work out a new game plan even if Jennings was the messiah.

Jennings' ramblings placed too much emphasis on his importance, were inflammatory rather than informational, but he his disgust with the Butch Jones regime was fitting. Unfortunately when people decide to burn bridges today the internet provides them the immediate access to the gas and matches no matter what their state of mind.

Reactions: 1 person
Language isn't constant. Our language has evolved, is evolving, and will continue to evolve as long as we continue using it in the way that we do, which you claim makes it fixed, when it is really a continuous transformation. You can empirically verify this by comparing languages from different time periods, different cultures, etc. Also, your example doesn't make much sense since science is also continuously evolving in its understanding of everything. Language evolution is the reality, our society is built around it, not on top of it.

Evolving is one thing; computer terminology developed and entered the language stream as computers developed. New measures develop and enter the system of weights and measures as new discoveries are made. However if a narrow subset coins a new word or uses an existing word in a new way it creates a lot of confusion.

For example "salty", traditionally the slang would have been something more like testy - think of old salt like a crusty old sailor; now it's used as an alternative for "teary". I think "sick" has taken on a similar twist. You can't insert words like that in common discussion and expect the entire audience to be on board.

Evolving is one thing; computer terminology developed and entered the language stream as computers developed. New measures develop and enter the system of weights and measures as new discoveries are made. However if a narrow subset coins a new word or uses an existing word in a new way it creates a lot of confusion.

For example "salty", traditionally the slang would have been something more like testy - think of old salt like a crusty old sailor; now it's used as an alternative for "teary". I think "sick" has taken on a similar twist. You can't insert words like that in common discussion and expect the entire audience to be on board.

Of course. It is up to us to keep up with our own transformations, whether or be in language or anything else. Regardless of the source or its scope, we give value to language based on usage. Essentially, it's all subjective. Common English is one of the most ambiguous natural languages, and it has many words, phrases, and transformations that are incredibly difficult to follow. Ain't is a great example of a weird word that has a very easy to understand common use once a person familiarizes it.

Respectfully, please don't minimize one of our strongest qualities (natural language evolution) as illiteracy, even if neither of us know what the hell he was writing.

My last comment on this language thing. Languages borrow from another language via inter-culture contact. Generations within a culture initiate changes and even experiences force creations of terminology to denote and explain a new thing. A few examples of borrowing are: Lariat was borrowed from Spanish. So too was tornado. Very is from French and finally to close it out, dollar is actually Czech. An example of evolving would be "prevent." It originally meant to go before or ahead of. If you walked behind me, I prevent you (pre= before, vent = go) but now it means to stop, impede or hinder. And that's what I mean when I say English being a living language isn't constant. As for JJ, he will return to the team for being man enough to seek an audience with Fulmer and Pruitt. And frankly, because the UT needs the shot in the arm he'd give the offense. He'll be back but Pruitt won't put up with male bovine excretion from JJ. If he so much as farts and it sounds like a cough, olfactory results or lack thereof notwithstanding, he's gone for good.

Last edited:
Of course. It is up to us to keep up with our own transformations, whether or be in language or anything else. Regardless of the source or its scope, we give value to language based on usage. Essentially, it's all subjective. Common English is one of the most ambiguous natural languages, and it has many words, phrases, and transformations that are incredibly difficult to follow. Ain't is a great example of a weird word that has a very easy to understand common use once a person familiarizes it.

Respectfully, please don't minimize one of our strongest qualities (natural language evolution) as illiteracy, even if neither of us know what the hell he was writing.

Please do not confuse evolving language with thug slurs and Ebonics. There is a difference. Give me a break.

Reactions: 6 people
Please do not confuse evolving language with thug slurs and Ebonics. There is a difference. Give me a break.

Do you shout at people to get off your lawn after trips to Hardee's every morning?

Language is ever evolving. Slang of the past is the language of today. And this whole thing is a play on a basketball announcer shouting "There goes that man" when a player goes by a defender with the basketball. I'm sorry that you think this is some sort of "thug slur."

Maybe he don't need no stinking civilization.

I have a word for everyone. this thread has devolved... I mean seriously? A guy posts a tweet in twitterspeak...if you are gonna be on a platform learn to speak the language. I personally hate twitter (and facebook) as a platform for reasons that have nothing to do with lingo used. It is because they are platforms for discussions such as these that can easily get warped from the original point. People use them to express complex thoughts in bite sized bursts.

Complex thought needs complex explanation...Person says 3 words on twitter and people spend hours if not days or weeks picking them apart and injecting their agendas to them.

Or, more likely, a message board of older white dudes assigns complex meaning to a kid’s tweet where there is none.

Then accuse him of speaking like a “thug” because they don’t get it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know most grammar rules and do take some pride in my writing ability (outside of social media), but I don’t judge or condemn others for the way they write on social media. It really doesn’t make said person any less intelligent in my mind.

I also believe in the theory of multiple intelligences. So what one person may be lacking in one department, he/she makes up for it with another set of skills.

Reactions: 4 people
I don’t even understand everyone’s fascination with Jennings. Look at his stats....

Typical of fans. He made a few big plays and it blinds folks to the other issues. Pruitt gets the call, but it's a risk not worth taking IMO. This program needs a clean start with a solid foundation. Build it up the right way.

Typical of fans. He made a few big plays and it blinds folks to the other issues. Pruitt gets the call, but it's a risk not worth taking IMO. This program needs a clean start with a solid foundation. Build it up the right way.

Couldn’t agree more. Setting the tone and culture is most important for JP right now. Bringing back a kid who went AWOL from his teammates last year and who lacks the judgment to not put that video on social media isn’t the way to get things kicked off for Pruitt and staff imho.

Reactions: 3 people
I don’t even understand everyone’s fascination with Jennings. Look at his stats....

He's a good player. Really good athlete. Don't see how we're better without him

Doesn't have to be aj green to still make our WR or DB core better

As stated by others, our offense will be much more effective with the young man, then without him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back