Hard to decipher, but I THINK Jennings may be saying he’s back on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proper English vs slang debate aside, I wish JJ well, but really hope he's not allowed back on the team. He's unreliable and has squandered numerous "second chances". Clear the roster and turn the page. Don't need a potential disruptive influence in the locker room. Not worth the risk IMO. Pruitt playing with fire on this one. Every coach thinks he can straighten out bad seeds. Rarely do they succeed. UT and Jennings need to part and go their own ways.

If I'm not mistaken,the original immigrants of this country we're English. I haven't read much in history books about them learning the native tounge, or assimilating to the native culture.

Why would they? They came to colonize and conquer.

I generally don't care about these errors, but this really bothers me for some reason. Perhaps it's the general tone of this thread.

I jumped in this thread on the last page. I don't know what happened before, but it's off the rails. Wanted to know what happened with JJ and am learning that Indians look like they came from Tibet. Should I go back to page 1? nah..
Hope he does come back. Hope CJP gives him one strike and he's out. Hope he's never out. Hope he goes on to a wonderful post-UT career either way.

GBO.

Reactions: 2 people
So do the people questioning JJ's literacy question Pruitt's too? He used just as much slang in a professional press conference, which is worse than JJ on social media.

Reactions: 1 person
Wut he say? I don't speak no hippity hopptiy!!! :D

Peter Cottaintails have trouble hippity hoppitying because they're too busy picking up the pellets that magically appear behind them. Can't go foreward if you're obsessed with traveling backwards. Basic law of nature you know.

haha no. The English language is constant (and has been for quite some time). If someone chooses to speak it incorrectly, they're the one with the issue regardless of how many other people also choose to sound ignorant.

The funny thing is you actually agree with this, but because this kid and other score TD's on Saturday, you give them a pass.

No language is constant except a dead one, like Latin. A living language changes because the people using it experience culture changes. Said changes can include migrating to a different environment where they must create terms for new things. It also includes contact with other cultures where language components of cultures get integrated with each other in either straight form, corrupted form, or combined into an existing term. Changes also occur because each generation adds its own terminology, altered meaning (slang, idioms etc) and rules of usage. There's more but you get the idea. A dead language can't do this so will indeed be constant, but living language can't be constant no matter how much it tries to me. Further, American English especially, has so much borrowed from other languages, one could debate whether English is really English anymore. And finally, JJ and other Afro-Americans aren't the only ones who jargonize English. Just listen to a Valley girl, a born and bred Texan, a Bronx resident, or a Canadian from Ontario and another one from Alberta. English isn't constant because the people who use it are in perpetual states of change by virtue of region, environmental induced usage, and generation changes. Think of it as a mutating computer virus.

Reactions: 4 people
As a fan, I am not happy for anyone to air our laundry publicly. However, since Jennings seems to be one of the few to understand the importance of that Vandy game, I can certainly overlook it. I do not believe for a minute the accusations that Hyams laid out repeatedly about him. I think had the coaches demonstrated an understanding of the game's importance, this tantrum never happens. I want all our kids to want to win that badly - so that they cannot stand defeat.

No language is constant except a dead one, like Latin. A living language changes because the people using it experience culture changes. Said changes can include migrating to a different environment where they must create terms for new things. It also includes contact with other cultures where language components of cultures get integrated with each other in either straight form, corrupted form, or combined into an existing term. Changes also occur because each generation adds its own terminology, altered meaning (slang, idioms etc) and rules of usage. There's more but you get the idea. A dead language can't do this so will indeed be constant, but living language can't be constant no matter how much it tries to me. Further, American English especially, has so much borrowed from other languages, one could debate whether English is really English anymore. And finally, JJ and other Afro-Americans aren't the only ones who jargonize English. Just listen to a Valley girl, a born and bred Texan, a Bronx resident, or a Canadian from Ontario and another one from Alberta. English isn't constant because the people who use it are in perpetual states of change by virtue of region, environmental induced usage, and generation changes. Think of it as a mutating computer virus.
That's a description of dialect ... not language.

Reactions: 6 people
That's a description of dialect ... not language.

Dialect is part of language and very much a reason language changes. Duck and dodge all you want, it doesn't alter facts. It's the reason Webster's Dictionary has to add or modify word meanings every several years or so. No living language is constant.

Last edited:
Dialect is part of language and very much a reason language changes. Duck and dodge all you want, it doesn't alter facts. It's the reason Webster's Dictionary has to add or modify word meanings every several years or so. No living language is constant.

This is drifting from Jennings, but...

BY DEFINITION:
Language ... 1.the method of human communication, either spoken or written, consisting of the use of words in a structured and conventional way.

Dialect ... a particular form of a language that is peculiar to a specific region or social group.

I hope Jennings is able to communicate in a manner that would suggest he is able to continue his educational progress. If not, he will be an academic casualty as well as his self-inflicted purgatory for the rant.

Reactions: 2 people
I generally don't care about these errors, but this really bothers me for some reason. Perhaps it's the general tone of this thread.

Thanks for not caring but caring. That's on par with my spelling error. Congrats.

I can not understand slang these days. One time I played pickup basketball and someone said I was "dropping dimes". I looked around thinking my lunch money fell from my pockets.

giphy.gif

I can not understand slang these days. One time I played pickup basketball and someone said I was "dropping dimes". I looked around thinking my lunch money fell from my pockets.

Diverting further from the OP, what does it mean? Seriously.... I have no idea....

This is drifting from Jennings, but...

BY DEFINITION:
Language ... 1.the method of human communication, either spoken or written, consisting of the use of words in a structured and conventional way.

Dialect ... a particular form of a language that is peculiar to a specific region or social group.

I hope Jennings is able to communicate in a manner that would suggest he is able to continue his educational progress. If not, he will be an academic casualty as well as his self-inflicted purgatory for the rant.

Now address the part of the post you choose to ignore:

"A living language changes because the people using it experience culture changes. Said changes can include migrating to a different environment where they must create terms for new things. It also includes contact with other cultures where language components of cultures get integrated with each other in either straight form, corrupted form, or combined into an existing term. Changes also occur because each generation adds its own terminology, altered meaning (slang, idioms etc) and rules of usage. There's more but you get the idea. A dead language can't do this so will indeed be constant, but living language can't be constant no matter how much it tries to"

It's like I tell my kids "We speak the Kings English around here."

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back