Guitars.. What you got?

If you like Strats (who the hell don't?) and want an inexpensive little killer, play a 2021 Sterling CT50. Pick up a Fender Player Strat next and compare. I would be shook if I was Fender right now.

The pots are cheap. Pickups are reasonable. The factory setup I saw was pretty nice. It's a really nice guitar for $500 and a perfect platform for upgrades because the basics are solid. The roasted neck feels awesome and should be very stable.

Cutlass CT50HSS | Guitars | Sterling by Music Man

If you like Strats (who the hell don't?) and want an inexpensive little killer, play a 2021 Sterling CT50. Pick up a Fender Player Strat next and compare. I would be shook if I was Fender right now.

The pots are cheap. Pickups are reasonable. The factory setup I saw was pretty nice. It's a really nice guitar for $500 and a perfect platform for upgrades because the basics are solid. The roasted neck feels awesome and should be very stable.

Cutlass CT50HSS | Guitars | Sterling by Music Man
I played one at GC a couple weeks ago the same color. I really liked it. My new Charvel has the roasted maple neck as well.

Reactions: sona
My son wants to learn to play.

And good tips, lessons?
You can find all kinds of stuff on YouTube for free these days.. if YouTube would’ve been around when I was learning, I would’ve been addicted. I use it all the time now. I learned the old fashioned way… reading/studying guitar one magazines like crazy

I’ve decided to add a mahogany top acoustic to the collection. I used to think they sounded dead compared to the brighter spruce tops I was used to playing, but I’ve been loving their balance lately. I’m thinking Martin 15 series. Either the dred, 000, or OM. I tried some Taylors, but I wasn’t feeling them like I was the Martins one

Reactions: FïreBall
I’ve decided to add a mahogany top acoustic to the collection. I used to think they sounded dead compared to the brighter spruce tops I was used to playing, but I’ve been loving their balance lately. I’m thinking Martin 15 series. Either the dred, 000, or OM. I tried some Taylors, but I wasn’t feeling them like I was the Martins one
I have a 000-15 and love it. It has a really sweet, warm sound. It's a perfect guitar for fingerpicking .

And good tips, lessons?

I wish someone told me to learn to play on an acoustic. I would have progressed much faster that way and been a better player for it. It really depends on what he is interested in playing. I would get enough lessons to learn chords and basic theory, technique, etc. Don't overspend but don't buy an un-tunable piece of crap either. The Squire stuff by Fender is really decent now, it wasn't great before.

Learn theory.
Learn to play clean. I cannot emphasize this enough. If you can't play clean, you can't play period.
The magic is in the picking hand :D

Reactions: Dudleys87
I have a 000-15 and love it. It has a really sweet, warm sound. It's a perfect guitar for fingerpicking .
I played one at a store in Sevierville over the weekend and I loved it. I’m usually a dred guy, but the smaller body was so comfortable and I’ve never had one, so it would be cool to switch it up.
My only issues with it are no electronics, and it has a smaller nut width. I might get one and put an Anthem in it. I’d come out spending about as much as I would buying the OMC-15e that has a fishman pickup. I’ve heard the LR Baggs is much better, so it might work out fine.

Reactions: Matt2496

And good tips, lessons?

It’s an odd suggestion, but you might consider having him learn to play with his strong hand on the neck and his weak hand holding the pick. It would be easier to start out that way rather than to switch later. Stuart Baker/Unknown Hinson is a natural leftie that plays a right handed guitar. He is an absolute beast… but he’s also been at it for 60 years. Doing the reverse could give him an edge by giving him a more unique sound if he got really good.

Did you listen to the podcast or just go off op summary?
You can find all kinds of stuff on YouTube for free these days.. if YouTube would’ve been around when I was learning, I would’ve been addicted. I use it all the time now. I learned the old fashioned way… reading/studying guitar one magazines like crazy
I wish someone told me to learn to play on an acoustic. I would have progressed much faster that way and been a better player for it. It really depends on what he is interested in playing. I would get enough lessons to learn chords and basic theory, technique, etc. Don't overspend but don't buy an un-tunable piece of crap either. The Squire stuff by Fender is really decent now, it wasn't great before.

Learn theory.
Learn to play clean. I cannot emphasize this enough. If you can't play clean, you can't play period.
The magic is in the picking hand :D
It’s an odd suggestion, but you might consider having him learn to play with his strong hand on the neck and his weak hand holding the pick. It would be easier to start out that way rather than to switch later. Stuart Baker/Unknown Hinson is a natural leftie that plays a right handed guitar. He is an absolute beast… but he’s also been at it for 60 years. Doing the reverse could give him an edge by giving him a more unique sound if he got really good.

thank you for the responses I truly appreciate them 🤙🏻

Reactions: sona and ACvol3

And good tips, lessons?

I would recommend finding some simple songs that he likes (few chords) and working on the chords until he can change smoothly enough to keep in beat. If he can get to the point of playing a song he likes fairly quickly, he'll likely be hooked. As an example, I learned at age 13 with a chord book and the Nirvana Unplugged CD ("About A Girl" was the first song I learned).

I would also say that, if he wants to sing and play, he needs to start working on singing at the same time as soon as he can chord a song. It's much more difficult to learn later.

Reactions: FïreBall
I would recommend finding some simple songs that he likes (few chords) and working on the chords until he can change smoothly enough to keep in beat. If he can get to the point of playing a song he likes fairly quickly, he'll likely be hooked. As an example, I learned at age 13 with a chord book and the Nirvana Unplugged CD ("About A Girl" was the first song I learned).

I would also say that, if he wants to sing and play, he needs to start working on singing at the same time as soon as he can chord a song. It's much more difficult to learn later.

He just wants to play every kind there is.

VN Store

Back