Guarantano for starter in 2020-2021 season. Poll

Will Guarantano start next season?

• Total voters
As far as my deep ball comment goes, I have not witnessed him through a deep ball (verticals, etc.) and hit his man in stride. .

I haven't either. I figure it must have happened once, in the last three years. But for the life of me I can't remember one.

And don't forget, even if he DID do it once, that's not enough. We need someone who can throw that pass three or four times a game.

Then, you haven't been watching.

If you can find me videos of him hitting the long bomb in stride five times, anytime in the last three years, I'll buy you two fifty yard line seats to the Vandy game.

Five. Bombs. In stride.

That's what, thirty-some games?

Surely you can find five. I'll make it even easier for you. They don't even have to be completed passes. Just in stride, meaning the receiver doesn't have to slow down to get his hands on it.

Get searchin'.

Reactions: 4chrissy

There’s 1 clear cut one in this video of his 2018 highlights. 3 total that could be considered iffy if you wanted to stretch the definition of “hitting in stride” but only 1 true great pass hitting a deep ball in stride. So there I don’t you all a favor and got 1/3rd of his seasons out of the way.

No I don't believe he will start. And even if he does, we need to stop with that silly Heisman nonsense. That's completely absurd. No reason to put that pressure on a kid, especially when in 4 years his play has never risen to that level.

There’s 1 clear cut one in this video of his 2018 highlights. 3 total that could be considered iffy if you wanted to stretch the definition of “hitting in stride” but only 1 true great pass hitting a deep ball in stride. So there I don’t you all a favor and got 1/3rd of his seasons out of the way.

Yeah, I saw one.

Now, if he could do that three or four times a game, throwing a pass like that, then I could get behind him for 2020.

Alas...

We get a quarterback who can stretch the field. It's helps the run game. It helps the short passing game. It helps in many many ways, ways that we don't have right now.

Sheesh, this is pewee league stuff.

And save your cherry picked stats for someone who gives a damn. For all those yards, he still couldn't lead the team to more than three touchdowns. And that's the only stat that counts.

No, he doesn't.

You don't stretch the field by your receivers running 40 yards down the field, stopping turning around and waiting for a jump ball to come their way. You stretch the field by throwing the ball 40 yards and hitting the receiver in stride, multiple times. Over and over. All season long.

The more you do it, the more the field gets stretched, the more things loosen up around the LOS.

Apparently you don't know the game very well. I'm not being sarcastic when I say my 11 year old niece knows the game better than you.
Not being sarcastic, just dumb.

No qb throws a ton of 40 yard through the air bombs. Matter of fact most qbs with high ypa like Tua get a ton of yac. The one qb who may throw down the field through the air a ton is Trevor Lawrence. All he is does is throw up jump balls. You have literally no clue about what you are attempting to discuss.

Also JG is the qb we have who does stretch the field the best. So what part of your genius plan to get rid of our best passer helps stretch the field?

lmao. there are four or five in the first minute.

I haven't either. I figure it must have happened once, in the last three years. But for the life of me I can't remember one.

And don't forget, even if he DID do it once, that's not enough. We need someone who can throw that pass three or four times a game.

If you can find me videos of him hitting the long bomb in stride five times, anytime in the last three years, I'll buy you two fifty yard line seats to the Vandy game.

Five. Bombs. In stride.

Surely you can find five. I'll make it even easier for you. They don't even have to be completed passes. Just in stride, meaning the receiver doesn't have to slow down to get his hands on it.

Get searchin'.

He hit four or five passes in stride in the first minute. maybe you should be realistic about football. 50 yard bombs of all air yards happen very rarely for any qb.

Not being sarcastic, just dumb.

No qb throws a ton of 40 yard through the air bombs. Matter of fact most qbs with high ypa like Tua get a ton of yac. The one qb who may throw down the field through the air a ton is Trevor Lawrence. All he is does is throw up jump balls. You have literally no clue about what you are attempting to discuss.

Also JG is the qb we have who does stretch the field the best. So what part of your genius plan to get rid of our best passer helps stretch the field?
I don’t think you get what he’s saying.

Watch the video of JG highlights then watch Tua below. JG throws deep but his guys have to stop or turn around completely to make the grab. Tua hits his guys in stride. This allows them to use the separation already created to stroll into the end zone.

lmao. there are four or five in the first minute.

He hit four or five passes in stride in the first minute. maybe you should be realistic about football. 50 yard bombs of all air yards happen very rarely for any qb.
I’d recommend you watch Tuas video above to see what we are talking about....

I don’t think you get what he’s saying.

Watch the video of JG highlights then watch Tua below. JG throws deep but his guys have to stop or turn around completely to make the grab. Tua hits his guys in stride. This allows them to use the separation already created to stroll into the end zone.

Tua is better. No doubt. He also didn't hit them in stride much more. His receivers were just running wide open so even when they did slow down some they still gained big yards after the catch.

I’d recommend you watch Tuas video above to see what we are talking about....
And we don't even need someone as good as Tua. He's phenomenal. But what we need is someone to throw three of these a game. He'll connect on one, maybe two if he's lucky. But the effect of realistically attempting them, of hitting the receiver in stride, stretches the field.

No DB fears Jarette deep.

What they feared this year was Calloway and Jennings outfighting them everytime for the 50/50 ball.

Thank the stars for Jennings and Calloway!

It's time to move on. JG's ceiling is probably 8 wins if the stars align...

I agree, he is just too inconsistant, misses to many open receivers, especially downfield. 7 to 8 wins max. Unless he is on a short leash, and pull him when having a bad game. If jg could be more consistant next year, and only time will tell things could be different.

Wow.....I can't believe it but I voted "YES"....

I have come to believe that CJP and Chaney's continual hard coaching of JG and their willingness to stick with him has helped him to settle down in the pocket and just play the position.
There's still room for MUCH IMPROVEMENT--but he appears to be headed in the right direction.....or I'm just hoping against hope.

With our OL, RBs, and the young WRs coming back next year----maybe JG would finally blossom into all that he can be. I would like to think so.

I would like to see a breakdown of JG's stats since that BAMA game.
He appears to have turned the corner.

GO VOLS!

I voted yes, because the question was who will be, not who I thought it should be. I don't think jg should be the starter next year.

So he's going to be a Heisman candidate? If you voted yes, that's what you agreed to.

Well I voted yes, but didn't read the whole question. I don't think he has a chance of heisman. And I don't think he should start, but the part of the question I read was who will be, not if I thought he should start.

I recall you blasting me several weeks ago for predicting that same thing. Maurer was never recruited to be the starter here and if Bailey is anywhere near as good as advertised then yes I believe BM will and probably should transfer out over being a 4 year backup. Bad timing for a seemingly talented kid.

Maurer will be not a good qb, but a great qb somewhere, I just wished it was at the vols. I am afraid pruitt is going to make the same mistake ga did in letting fields go by not giving him a valid chance to play. If ga had fields as their qb they would be undefeated and probably win the nc. but they chose to stick with fromm.

Barring some kind of melt down he won't transfer, and if hes here he'll be the starter all of 2020.

We get a quarterback who can stretch the field. It's helps the run game. It helps the short passing game. It helps in many many ways, ways that we don't have right now.

Sheesh, this is pewee league stuff.

And save your cherry picked stats for someone who gives a damn. For all those yards, he still couldn't lead the team to more than three touchdowns. And that's the only stat that counts.

No, he doesn't.

You don't stretch the field by your receivers running 40 yards down the field, stopping turning around and waiting for a jump ball to come their way. You stretch the field by throwing the ball 40 yards and hitting the receiver in stride, multiple times. Over and over. All season long.

The more you do it, the more the field gets stretched, the more things loosen up around the LOS.

Apparently you don't know the game very well. I'm not being sarcastic when I say my 11 year old niece knows the game better than you.

I agree 100% jg just does not lead the team to many points. With 400 yards passing we should have 40 plust points. If I'm not mistaken the most offensive points we have scored with jg in his careerr against sec opponents is 24. If we want to compete for sec championship we have to have a good qb, and I think we have 2 on our roster now, but have not been given a real chance to show what they can do. Reminds me of Ga, not giving fields a real chance and look what he is doing at ohio. jg is just too inconsistant and you are right callaway and jennings have bailed him out on many passes that could have just as easily been int. They won't be here to bail him out. We can win 7 or 8 games with jg playing as he is now. But just as we can beat a decent team with jg, we can also lose to ga. st. and vandy with him, depends on which jg shows up. All a decent team has to do to beat ut with jg is stack the line and stop the run and thats what most are doing, thus the running game not going good. Stretch the field and running game will greatly improve.

Reactions: Chippo
Well I voted yes, but didn't read the whole question. I don't think he has a chance of heisman. And I don't think he should start, but the part of the question I read was who will be, not if I thought he should start.
He'll start if he's the best guy. But I'm not going to anoint him this year. We don't know for sure he will be here next year. Of course this will be labeled hate just like the rest of the honest opinions. Never figured Tennesseans for hive minds but I guess you have to be.

Reactions: tbh
JG will start, Hill will back up, Shrout third string, Bailey ( if he comes) will redshirt. Maurer will transfer out.

Maurer transfer out? You're crazy dude.
The team loves that kid. People so quicky forget how he marched down the field against Bama. Had us dead even with UGA for a half. Injuries slowed his momentum. And truthfully he wasn't quite ready.

But EVERYTIME JG had to come in for him, JG started playing the way he was always capable of.

So many of you just look at stats, with no understanding of the mental aspect of the game. Brian Maurer with his energy, confidence and team mentality has helped JG as much as anything Chaney did for him.

When Jarret carried Maurer off the field, and immediately became a better QB with that action.

Because it allowed JG NOT to focus on himself...but on his team. That's what he needs and will continue to need.

Maurer will be not a good qb, but a great qb somewhere, I just wished it was at the vols. I am afraid pruitt is going to make the same mistake ga did in letting fields go by not giving him a valid chance to play. If ga had fields as their qb they would be undefeated and probably win the nc. but they chose to stick with fromm.
You can't compare Fields and Maurer. lmao

Hilarious.

Five star top 2 player in the country vs a three star.

Freshman numbers
JF 27/39 69.2% 328 yards 8.4 ypa 10.5 a/ypa 4td 0ints 173.7 rtg
BM 34/72 47.2% 524 yards 7.3 ypa 4.7 a/ypa 2tds 5ints 103.6 rtg

He showed flashes of potential here and there but was bad overall.

Reactions: CR-vol

Five. Bombs. In stride.

Get searchin'.

Well I guess you can be ready to complain again next year because JG will probably be our QB..

VN Store

Back