Guarantano for starter in 2020-2021 season. Poll

Will Guarantano start next season?

• Total voters
The bi-polar nature of this board never ceases to be hilarious and extremely entertaining. This board was ready to grab their pitchforks, torches, and canes and toss Guarantano into the Tennessee river, and now 77% of people think he'll start and 1-2 are discussing heisman lol. Gotta love Vol Nation.

I think he starts. I hope he starts. JG has had a different OC every single year since coming to Tennessee. I would like to think the consistency with Chaney will allow him to have a breakout Senior season working out of the same system two years in a row for the first time ever. I also think it would help Bailey long-term to come in, learn under Chaney, play 4-games during trash time to get some snaps, and then redshirt. My hope is that one day we can get to the point where our starting QB is always an experienced player. Relying on true freshmen rarely works out. Now, if one day we sign a phenom then sure. But for now, I think getting some consistency and having a system that allows QBs to develp before being handed the keys to the kingdom will do us wonders long-term.

"I like the kid, but I think we have seen his ceiling."

Not a bad ceiling. Considering the quality of the defense, JG arguably had the second best performance of any Vol QB ever. Yet, over 20% of responders don't think he should be the starter next season. What is wrong with these people?!!!

Will Guarantano start next season?
  • Yes
  • No
is not a slanted poll/question.
I rufuse to feed his or your delusions. Slanted poll based on OP delusions. I voted No because he hasn't finished this season yet.

Reactions: tbh
The bi-polar nature of this board never ceases to be hilarious and extremely entertaining. This board was ready to grab their pitchforks, torches, and canes and toss Guarantano into the Tennessee river, and now 77% of people think he'll start and 1-2 are discussing heisman lol. Gotta love Vol Nation.

I think he starts. I hope he starts. JG has had a different OC every single year since coming to Tennessee. I would like to think the consistency with Chaney will allow him to have a breakout Senior season working out of the same system two years in a row for the first time ever. I also think it would help Bailey long-term to come in, learn under Chaney, play 4-games during trash time to get some snaps, and then redshirt. My hope is that one day we can get to the point where our starting QB is always an experienced player. Relying on true freshmen rarely works out. Now, if one day we sign a phenom then sure. But for now, I think getting some consistency and having a system that allows QBs to develp before being handed the keys to the kingdom will do us wonders long-term.
Trash time? What is this trash time that you speak of?

Reactions: Big Al Orange
"I like the kid, but I think we have seen his ceiling."

Not a bad ceiling. Considering the quality of the defense, JG arguably had the second best performance of any Vol QB ever. Yet, over 20% of responders don't think he should be the starter next season. What is wrong with these people?!!!
Most of the 20% are internet trolls I feel.

Reactions: k-town_king
i'm so glad that coaches come here and look at poll results to decide who we should start.

LOL

there has to be competition to make everybody better but JG is the starter, right now, and going into next season...we'll just have to wait and see how JG performs against all comers....there's lots to learn to run this offense and may the best man win...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT VANDY!

I’ve yet to see him throw a deep ball and hit a player in stride, he’s still wildly inconsistent from a ball placement standpoint, and he’s still slow on one of his throws.

Can he improve? Absolutely. But I also don’t think he’s a lock to start all season next year either.

Let's hope not. We can't go through another season without being able to stretch the field.

And the 50/50 rootypoot stuff won't work without Jennings and Calloway.

We need an actual quarterback.

Reactions: cgrish
Open up the QB1 spot and make it a true competition for the starting position, instead of a battle for the backup spot. Guarantano has shown flashes this year but he has all offseason to regress like he did during the past offseason. If they maintain the pressure on him as the staff has done some this year, hopefully he'll continue to sharpen up.

I’ve yet to see him throw a deep ball and hit a player in stride, he’s still wildly inconsistent from a ball placement standpoint, and he’s still slow on one of his throws.

Can he improve? Absolutely. But I also don’t think he’s a lock to start all season next year either.

Slow on one throw? What NFL or college qb goes through each game and is perfect on every pass?

He has hit plenty of passes in stride. This is something repeated by those pushing a narrative.

Let's hope not. We can't go through another season without being able to stretch the field.

And the 50/50 rootypoot stuff won't work without Jennings and Calloway.

We need an actual quarterback.
So in an effort to stretch the field we should get rid of the qb with the best ypa and best down field passing of the available options?

And does he not stretch the field or is he doing it but only because of "rootypoot" 50/50 balls?

You aren't making much sense.

If he plays like he has been playing recently then I say he will start. If he plays like he did at the start of the year then he will lose the job IMO. I think he has got his confidence back and he should be good for next year but only time will tell

If Bailey EEs, I wouldnt want to bet against him having a chance to take it. Otherwise JG is very likely to start, considering his coaches, I think he keeps improving and can get a solid year.

If next season JG is playing like current JG, there is no reason to put Bailey in. JG is doing enough now to win, giving HB a year to learn the O and develop would have us sitting pretty for 2021.

Reactions: Gandalf
So in an effort to stretch the field we should get rid of the qb with the best ypa and best down field passing of the available options?

We get a quarterback who can stretch the field. It's helps the run game. It helps the short passing game. It helps in many many ways, ways that we don't have right now.

Sheesh, this is pewee league stuff.

And save your cherry picked stats for someone who gives a damn. For all those yards, he still couldn't lead the team to more than three touchdowns. And that's the only stat that counts.

And does he not stretch the field or is he doing it but only because of "rootypoot" 50/50 balls?

No, he doesn't.

You don't stretch the field by your receivers running 40 yards down the field, stopping turning around and waiting for a jump ball to come their way. You stretch the field by throwing the ball 40 yards and hitting the receiver in stride, multiple times. Over and over. All season long.

The more you do it, the more the field gets stretched, the more things loosen up around the LOS.

Apparently you don't know the game very well. I'm not being sarcastic when I say my 11 year old niece knows the game better than you.

Last edited:
Slow on one throw? What NFL or college qb goes through each game and is perfect on every pass?

He has hit plenty of passes in stride. This is something repeated by those pushing a narrative.

Sorry, that’s a typo, it should say some* throws.

As far as my deep ball comment goes, I have not witnessed him through a deep ball (verticals, etc.) and hit his man in stride. I stand by that. Sure he hits crossers in stride on occasion, but the deep touch balls are never thrown where they need to be to allow our guys to take advantage of space created and score.

Reactions: cgrish
I vote we beat Candy and go to a New Year's bowl. Is that a voting option? I want that option.

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back