Growing belief methodical Fulmer gets it done....

Thumbs up to the OP but, hey it is early and a lot of people suffering from SAD. I like Phil. He is all Vol. Me too. Hindsight still biased. The only thing that is important to me is that we win. Beat the dog snot outta every team we play. WGWTFA! So...get it figured out Holly really fast or there is the door. CJP and Chaney, and Tee et. al. have some time to get it going. Auburn and Kentucky wins were exciting. Everything else, not so much. I dont want to lose to Vandy every again and we play them in our much better stadium next season. So, whine, wimper, point fingers, whatever...AD PF has us in better shape than we been in a while and he has a lot more skin in the game that the last several regimes. GBO VFL-84 & 91-ALUM.

If Friend can't get the job done, I sure hope that Pruitt is not as loyal as Fulmer was with Sanders.

That was a big factor in Fulmer's and the Vol's downfall.

Open your eyes a little wider and take off the orange glasses because from an objective viewpoint i've seen an OC hiring debacle that took forty something days where we dont know the exact details because of the administrations tight lips, but we do know everyone interviewed besides Chaney went to other schools AND we know we lost at least one earlier and better choice to OSU. We know Fulmer has been been meddling in hires and coaching(which UT had to report as a violation). We also know that there some internal problems with position coaches and coordinators and Pruitt. Some of these position changes may be good or bad...we don't know yet, but there is certainly nothing to indicate that Fulmer has saved the day by any means...in fact, I would say we are trending in the other direction until prove otherwise.

So the debacle landed us jim chaney and no crap storm in the media along with no big recruiting losses...….sounds like a win to me.
The guy who went to OSU was going to make our offense an air raid, you think you saw complete crap this year.....imagine Guarantano slinging 40 yard wounded ducks for interceptions. John Currie had almost ruined our whole football program for good, Fulmer has brought us out of a mess that severely affected everything Tennessee. We may have only had Pruitt to choose from but from what im seeing we are more respected now than in the past 10 years.

Reactions: hexnut and AM64
I think he has already been blinded because of the extension that he gave Warlick when anyone can see she is not the right person. He is the one that needs to stop the bleeding, because all of us Lady Vol Fans are bleeding. She keeps mentioning about this years team being young, but this a trend EVERY year and you can't continue to use young as an escape. She has certainly had talent and experience and can do nothing with it. To say Pat would be proud, well that borders on insanity. Have you ever in your lifetime seen her proud after just one loss, much less 5 in a row. Have you ever heard her tell her team "We aren't suppose to beat Notre Dame" especially on their home floor. She continues to blame the girls and NEVER takes any responsibility. Well if she really feels that way, then she needs professional help.
He had to give her an extension for recruiting purposes. The buyout didn’t go up.

Reactions: AM64
But it took 45 days to hire an OC. We needed one badly and it likely ruined our season because it took 45 days to hire one. No one wanted the job and we would have been so much better off if we had promoted Friend the minute Helton told Pruitt he was leaving!!! Boom, that would have been quicker than everyone else and we would have been set to win the NC because of it.

Well, Friend would have been the home-run hire. But Chaney is a solid gapper to the wall. :D

Reactions: Vol4life2
Over 35 seasons of going to football games, I've certainly seen my share of ups and downs within the football program. MOST of those seasons were ups until the last decade plus happened.

I'm really starting to gain a lot of faith and trust that Fulmer is going to not only bring UT back to relevancy, he will help build UT back to a serious contender.

I'll admit that I've hated on Fulmer as much as anyone as a fan, especially in the latter part of his coaching career. I still argue he made very costly head scratching hires that were very instrumental in his being let go as coach (don't want to get into Hamilton discussion, he ruined the program). But, enough of that..... I want to focus on all the good and smart decisions Fulmer made along the way (there are plenty)

The current Fulmer reminds me of the old Fulmer. The old Fulmer that was driven and hungry and competitive as hell to piss off his rivals and always keep a leg up on the competition. There is a long way to go, but the seeds are being planted.

Hiring Pruitt away from Bama ended up paying some dividends as it very well may have cost Bama another title. Hiring Chaney away from your division rival, who is clearly the top program in your division is a win. Especially after the so-called long wait to hire an OC with the perception that it was going badly...all the while having a plan and their guy all along....UGA can act like it's no big deal and that they weren't happy with Chaney...but that's a lie.....it is a huge deal and he's responsible for MUCH of UGAs success over last few seasons...

The hiring of Tee Martin.....not only is Tee a UT legend and title winner, he's a Bama native. Fulmer beat out Bama and others for Tee's services as a recruiter. It was a big deal. The methodical Fulmer was very strategic in his timing of when to pull the trigger on the Chaney and Tee hirings and when to announce. Bringing Tee out for the crowd at TBA against Bama was perfect timing. A way to agitate your rival just a little more and a way to be a thorn in their side.

Pruitt is the head coach and is making these decisions. But, don't think for a bit that Fulmer doesn't have his hands in the mix. It's great to see and feel the competitive spirit back in the football program of UT going directly after the top competition in the conference....

I think it also helps that the Basketball team is on "autopilot" where he doesn't have to worry about it at all. Also helps Barnes is an older, established coach and Fulmer prolly likes that. Outside of football, his only somewhat tough action will be canning Holly and hiring a new coach for Women's basketball.

Fulmer also said last year it doesn't matter what other sports do, Football program has to get back on top for the university. Very refreshing.

Reactions: Remy
If Friend can't get the job done, I sure hope that Pruitt is not as loyal as Fulmer was with Sanders.

That was a big factor in Fulmer's and the Vol's downfall.

Cmon now. I couldn’t get enough no gain draws on 1st, down , 2 yard bubble screens on 2nd down, and 6 yard patterns on 3rd and 8.

Ah. The Sanders years. And Fulmer clapping his hands, workin like heck, and berating the fans for wanting more. Yessiree, the early and mid 2000s ROCKED!!!!

::: bait in water. Drag set. Let’s wait for the total Fulmer acolytes to bite ::::

Bingo: Tennessee's fanbase got bored (and spoiled) by the continuity. We essentially didn't change from the late 70s until Hamilton choked and tried to be a hero. Fulmer made a strong hire in Dave Clawson. Clawson's been really good everywhere else since. What he's done at Wake is remarkable.

Crompton was a disaster. He had all the measurables but sucked . . . like sucked so bad he got a legendary hall of fame coach fired . . . Kiffin / Chaney made him serviceable. Not very good, but serviceable.

But the worst thing Kiffin did was bounce Tahj Boyd to Clemson. I believe Clemson still looks at Tahj Boyd as the firestarter over there, the guy who showed they could win big there.

Fulmer and Clawson's second year with Tahj Boyd coming in . . . well, UT and SEC football history would be very very very different . . .[/QUOTE
I couldn’t agree more, especially with the idea that Boyd was a huge factor in getting Clemson rolling.

edit/ post removed ..... too much makers mark and posted in wrong thread . I still hate Vandy with the red hot intensity of 10,000 suns though

When you are AD and bleed orange and let lady vols basketball go to hell. That's not bleeding orange. He isn't doing his job.

This is the lamest cheap shot of the bunch...... three weeks ago what was our record? He had to give Holly her shot with this class and it does not appear that she is going to get it done, but he would be the stupidest AD ever to fire someone with one or two losses.... gonna really make the coaching pool want to get in line to come to UT.... He will in fact protect the program of the lady he respected as our coach. But anyone that thinks his timing has to be their timing just needs to be ignored or countered.... ignoring seems to indicate some sense of reason..... He will have to do a search and there are rules about direct contact with folks.... probably should at least talk to the prospect don't you think.... has to build a short list and then work it....

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64
How Phillip handles the Holly situation will say a lot about what the priorities are. I truly hope PF can get it done because he's certainly going to try his best I believe. I just hope personal loyalty doesn't blind his judgement.
Dude, we know what the priorities are, and Lady Vols b-ball is no better than 3rd on the list, if that.

Football is the priority at the moment and pretty much nothing else matters if you ask me. He’s gotta get football right, back to good, or he fails, no matter what ANY of the other sports do. That’s just a fact.

To be honest, Fulmer is the reason I believe in this programs future. Pruitt is going to do well and Fulmer hired a good one. But I trust Fulmer to do whatever it takes to help us get back. Without Fulmer, I highly doubt we would have Chaney and especially Tee.

Over 35 seasons of going to football games, I've certainly seen my share of ups and downs within the football program. MOST of those seasons were ups until the last decade plus happened.

I'm really starting to gain a lot of faith and trust that Fulmer is going to not only bring UT back to relevancy, he will help build UT back to a serious contender.

I'll admit that I've hated on Fulmer as much as anyone as a fan, especially in the latter part of his coaching career. I still argue he made very costly head scratching hires that were very instrumental in his being let go as coach (don't want to get into Hamilton discussion, he ruined the program). But, enough of that..... I want to focus on all the good and smart decisions Fulmer made along the way (there are plenty)

The current Fulmer reminds me of the old Fulmer. The old Fulmer that was driven and hungry and competitive as hell to piss off his rivals and always keep a leg up on the competition. There is a long way to go, but the seeds are being planted.

Hiring Pruitt away from Bama ended up paying some dividends as it very well may have cost Bama another title. Hiring Chaney away from your division rival, who is clearly the top program in your division is a win. Especially after the so-called long wait to hire an OC with the perception that it was going badly...all the while having a plan and their guy all along....UGA can act like it's no big deal and that they weren't happy with Chaney...but that's a lie.....it is a huge deal and he's responsible for MUCH of UGAs success over last few seasons...

The hiring of Tee Martin.....not only is Tee a UT legend and title winner, he's a Bama native. Fulmer beat out Bama and others for Tee's services as a recruiter. It was a big deal. The methodical Fulmer was very strategic in his timing of when to pull the trigger on the Chaney and Tee hirings and when to announce. Bringing Tee out for the crowd at TBA against Bama was perfect timing. A way to agitate your rival just a little more and a way to be a thorn in their side.

Pruitt is the head coach and is making these decisions. But, don't think for a bit that Fulmer doesn't have his hands in the mix. It's great to see and feel the competitive spirit back in the football program of UT going directly after the top competition in the conference....

images

Open your eyes a little wider and take off the orange glasses because from an objective viewpoint i've seen an OC hiring debacle that took forty something days where we dont know the exact details because of the administrations tight lips, but we do know everyone interviewed besides Chaney went to other schools AND we know we lost at least one earlier and better choice to OSU. We know Fulmer has been been meddling in hires and coaching(which UT had to report as a violation). We also know that there some internal problems with position coaches and coordinators and Pruitt. Some of these position changes may be good or bad...we don't know yet, but there is certainly nothing to indicate that Fulmer has saved the day by any means...in fact, I would say we are trending in the other direction until prove otherwise.
We know the money details. $1.5 mil first year $1.6 second year and $1.7 the third year.

He had to give her an extension for recruiting purposes. The buyout didn’t go up.
Well once the season is over and if the LV lose in the first round which is looking more and more likely Fulmer better do his JOB and FIRE her for the sake of his own JOB!!! Fans won’t put up with an AD who won’t get rid of bad coaches even if they are good friends....

What ever else you may say about Fulmer, he is truly a UT Vol for Life. He may not have always made the best decisions, but I think he has UT's best interest at heart, and will try to do anything within the rules to get the Vols on top. Its good to finally have someone in charge who does not have another agenda, or who is really just concerned about themselves. I think he will finally go a long way toward fixing all the problems that Hamilton caused. GBO.

Well once the season is over and if the LV lose in the first round which is looking more and more likely Fulmer better do his JOB and FIRE her for the sake of his own JOB!!! Fans won’t put up with an AD who won’t get rid of bad coaches even if they are good friends....

Unfortunately Fulmer may be hesitant to fire Holly because of his own experience where he was fired after one bad 5 win season following 10 win and 9 win seasons. With his previous record, he should have been given one more year to try to "right" the ship, but Hamilton couldn't see it that way. (Always wondered if Hamilton purposely tried to ruin UT's athletics as a Clemson grad or he was just incompetent; either way he really set athletics back a decade or so). Anyway, I see Holly as a different situation, as Lady Vols basketball has been continually going down for the last 4 or 5 years, but Fulmer may not see it that way. He might keep her there one more year, but without significant improvement, I can't see her staying any longer. Biggest problem is who to get to replace her.

How Phillip handles the Holly situation will say a lot about what the priorities are. I truly hope PF can get it done because he's certainly going to try his best I believe. I just hope personal loyalty doesn't blind his judgement.
Hammy didnt let personal loyalty get in the way and you see where we ended up.

Hammy didnt let personal loyalty get in the way and you see where we ended up.

Holly has had way more time to prove she can handle or not handle the job. She has proven she's not an elite coach or maybe not even average with the resources and players she's had. Nothing personal, time to make a decision for another coach.

I hope to hell he can multitask, but if he can't, I'm glad he's tryin ta fix Football first.
I don't know Behr, maybe we can put football on the back burner and let it simmer for a bit. Lady Vols have fallen off the map.

Reactions: Behr

VN Store

Back