Growing belief methodical Fulmer gets it done....

I would have liked to have seen Tahj Boyd in Dave Clawson’s offense instead of Johnathan Crompton. The quarterback situation was terrible at the time but looking at the numbers Boyd put up at Clemson I believe they would have been much better pretty soon.

Bingo: Tennessee's fanbase got bored (and spoiled) by the continuity. We essentially didn't change from the late 70s until Hamilton choked and tried to be a hero. Fulmer made a strong hire in Dave Clawson. Clawson's been really good everywhere else since. What he's done at Wake is remarkable.

Crompton was a disaster. He had all the measurables but sucked . . . like sucked so bad he got a legendary hall of fame coach fired . . . Kiffin / Chaney made him serviceable. Not very good, but serviceable.

But the worst thing Kiffin did was bounce Tahj Boyd to Clemson. I believe Clemson still looks at Tahj Boyd as the firestarter over there, the guy who showed they could win big there.

Fulmer and Clawson's second year with Tahj Boyd coming in . . . well, UT and SEC football history would be very very very different . . .

Open your eyes a little wider and take off the orange glasses because from an objective viewpoint i've seen an OC hiring debacle that took forty something days where we dont know the exact details because of the administrations tight lips, but we do know everyone interviewed besides Chaney went to other schools AND we know we lost at least one earlier and better choice to OSU. We know Fulmer has been been meddling in hires and coaching(which UT had to report as a violation). We also know that there some internal problems with position coaches and coordinators and Pruitt. Some of these position changes may be good or bad...we don't know yet, but there is certainly nothing to indicate that Fulmer has saved the day by any means...in fact, I would say we are trending in the other direction until prove otherwise.
Debacle???
Don't watch the cook in the kitchen, just eat the meal. OC search ended OK. That's the takeaway. Pruitt doesn't have your cell number on speeddial to ask what to do.

Reactions: AM64
Im by no means the president of the Jeremy Pruitt Fan Club, but the OC hire was not a debacle. We kept everything tight-lipped and added an experienced coordinator to a staff that REALLY needed experience..
Agreed. How can ending up with Chaney be a debacle? How do we know JP even wanted the other candidates?
As far as I'm concerned, Chaney is a B+ hire and exactly what we need. Suppose we hired Briles or Freeze and they light it up for a year and then leave for a HC gig.

Chaney isn't interested in that and if I'm a QB in HS that's a + for me.

How long has it been since a UT QB had the same coordinator/QB coach/system for their entire Vols career?

Not you or anyone on this site has any idea what goes on in the football offices in Knoxville. Fulmer better be hands on. CJP is his horse that he brought to the race.

Just because someone is interviewed and doesn't get hired, isn't an indication of failure. I've interviewed many people for jobs that I didn't want after the interview. Maybe we didn't have the same goals or philosophies. Personalities don't mix sometimes. How do you know that the guy going to Ohio State is a better choice? Better numbers in the Big12?

The program is getting better coaches, better players, and has an AD that cares about UT more than maybe any AD in it's history. I'd say it's trending in the right direction.

Show
Not you or anyone on this site has any idea what goes on in the football offices in Knoxville. Fulmer better be hands on. CJP is his horse that he brought to the race.

Just because someone is interviewed and doesn't get hired, isn't an indication of failure. I've interviewed many people for jobs that I didn't want after the interview. Maybe we didn't have the same goals or philosophies. Personalities don't mix sometimes. How do you know that the guy going to Ohio State is a better choice? Better numbers in the Big12?

The program is getting better coaches, better players, and has an AD that cares about UT more than maybe any AD in it's history. I'd say it's trending in the right direction.

Show me a top tier program that takes 45 days(give or take a day) to hire a coordinator? Just because Fulmer isn't stupid enough to let the world to see what is going on, doesn't mean it is a good thing. Every other major program gets it done in a couple of days and there was no reason for it to take as long as it did. It appears UT will be replacing at least 3 coaches in the first year of a head coach. There are reports of coaches not gelling with Pruitt and it is evidenced by the departures. Pruitt knew Helton was leaving long before he did and any HC has a short list ready when a coordinator leaves. Reports of David Johnson not jiving with Pruitt. Reports of Charles Kelly shopping his name. Not exactly the stability UT needs right now....and just because Fulmer knows how to keep quiet doesn't mean things are running smooth. Don't know if the reason we can't get a coach hired is Fulmer, Pruitt, or who, but when everybody has to come out making statements that they aren't meddling, you know there is a problem. I hope i'm wrong, but i'm not going to pretend there aren't signs when there are. I pointed out problems like this with Dooley and Butch early on and all the pumpers on here attacked me for saying it then too. All i'm saying is if the administration is going to keep everything hidden and quiet, then they need to be willing to be held accountable for lack of success. I'm all for giving them a chance, but if this little AD experiment fails, Fulmer needs to go with Pruitt.

Show

Show me a top tier program that takes 45 days(give or take a day) to hire a coordinator? Just because Fulmer isn't stupid enough to let the world to see what is going on, doesn't mean it is a good thing. Every other major program gets it done in a couple of days and there was no reason for it to take as long as it did. It appears UT will be replacing at least 3 coaches in the first year of a head coach. There are reports of coaches not gelling with Pruitt and it is evidenced by the departures. Pruitt knew Helton was leaving long before he did and any HC has a short list ready when a coordinator leaves. Reports of David Johnson not jiving with Pruitt. Reports of Charles Kelly shopping his name. Not exactly the stability UT needs right now....and just because Fulmer knows how to keep quiet doesn't mean things are running smooth. Don't know if the reason we can't get a coach hired is Fulmer, Pruitt, or who, but when everybody has to come out making statements that they aren't meddling, you know there is a problem. I hope i'm wrong, but i'm not going to pretend there aren't signs when there are. I pointed out problems like this with Dooley and Butch early on and all the pumpers on here attacked me for saying it then too. All i'm saying is if the administration is going to keep everything hidden and quiet, then they need to be willing to be held accountable for lack of success. I'm all for giving them a chance, but if this little AD experiment fails, Fulmer needs to go with Pruitt.
Bama!

Reactions: johnrlansford
If you put someone in charge to build you a house and don't do a good job. Do you wait till it's built.
I see your point. I'd rather just wait till the end of the yr. Either way, The Lady Vols aren't going far in March.

Don't overlook the part Fulmer played in resurrecting the ETSU football program. That was not an easy assignment and the university followed his plan and just won the Southern Conference championship under Randy Sanders. UT got lucky backing into AD Fulmer and have another star in President Randy Boyd.

When a program has been down as long as the Vols, a large % of fans with regular jobs do not spend a disproportionate amount of time on message boards. They will be back adding some positive balance along the way. Some fans are able to see a rebuilding program stabilize and move forward, others bog down in all-knowing negativity on the time it takes to get a top flight offensive coordinator hired, yada yada... Jim Chaney is on duty and working for the Vols along with Tee Martin - I forgot what exactly is the major complaint on Pruitt and Fulmer thus far in 2019?

It helps that he had Doug Dickey as an example. That why I never worried about him as AD. Will he make mistakes, sure. It's not always the mistake you make, it's if you correct it and learn from it.

We traditionally had very good ADs - generally ex-football head coaches, then some fool went off the rails and started hiring business major type ADs. Hopefully everybody learned about that lunacy during the ten year debacle we just experienced. However, with attention spans being what they are these days, I'm guessing it won't be long before the lesson learned is lost to history.

Reactions: knox73
Developments since the Vandy game have been quite encouraging, and give legitimate reason for significant improvement next season. I think we are on the right track.

Developments since the Vandy game have been quite encouraging, and give legitimate reason for significant improvement next season. I think we are on the right track.
But it took 45 days to hire an OC. We needed one badly and it likely ruined our season because it took 45 days to hire one. No one wanted the job and we would have been so much better off if we had promoted Friend the minute Helton told Pruitt he was leaving!!! Boom, that would have been quicker than everyone else and we would have been set to win the NC because of it.

I think he has already been blinded because of the extension that he gave Warlick when anyone can see she is not the right person. He is the one that needs to stop the bleeding, because all of us Lady Vol Fans are bleeding. She keeps mentioning about this years team being young, but this a trend EVERY year and you can't continue to use young as an escape. She has certainly had talent and experience and can do nothing with it. To say Pat would be proud, well that borders on insanity. Have you ever in your lifetime seen her proud after just one loss, much less 5 in a row. Have you ever heard her tell her team "We aren't suppose to beat Notre Dame" especially on their home floor. She continues to blame the girls and NEVER takes any responsibility. Well if she really feels that way, then she needs professional help.

She got a free ride for so long because of the AD turnover. Fulmer again couldn't really just drop into his position as AD and fire her immediately; he's going to look around and have suitable candidates in mind and be a little more secure in his own position before he acts. If I had to bet this will be her last or at least next to last season at Tennessee.

Show

Where are those reports that had all this information in them, such about David Johnson and Charles Kelly? I really am asking, because I never saw any of it as proof.

Reactions: AM64 and gnm53108
By the way, I think you should change your avi back to whatever you want. You fulfilled your obligation as far as I'm concerned.

Director of Athletics. Athletics is more than football. UT should be competing for conference titles and national glory in every sport, men and women. Fulmer will be judged by more than just the gridiron. Basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, track & field, swimming & diving, volleyball, soccer, golf, rowing - every other school with a program should fear the orange & white. Fulmer needs to hire & retain the coaches who will raise UT's programs to that elite level. He wanted the job. This is the standard by which he will be judged.

Over 35 seasons of going to football games, I've certainly seen my share of ups and downs within the football program. MOST of those seasons were ups until the last decade plus happened.

I'm really starting to gain a lot of faith and trust that Fulmer is going to not only bring UT back to relevancy, he will help build UT back to a serious contender.

I'll admit that I've hated on Fulmer as much as anyone as a fan, especially in the latter part of his coaching career. I still argue he made very costly head scratching hires that were very instrumental in his being let go as coach (don't want to get into Hamilton discussion, he ruined the program). But, enough of that..... I want to focus on all the good and smart decisions Fulmer made along the way (there are plenty)

The current Fulmer reminds me of the old Fulmer. The old Fulmer that was driven and hungry and competitive as hell to piss off his rivals and always keep a leg up on the competition. There is a long way to go, but the seeds are being planted.

Hiring Pruitt away from Bama ended up paying some dividends as it very well may have cost Bama another title. Hiring Chaney away from your division rival, who is clearly the top program in your division is a win. Especially after the so-called long wait to hire an OC with the perception that it was going badly...all the while having a plan and their guy all along....UGA can act like it's no big deal and that they weren't happy with Chaney...but that's a lie.....it is a huge deal and he's responsible for MUCH of UGAs success over last few seasons...

The hiring of Tee Martin.....not only is Tee a UT legend and title winner, he's a Bama native. Fulmer beat out Bama and others for Tee's services as a recruiter. It was a big deal. The methodical Fulmer was very strategic in his timing of when to pull the trigger on the Chaney and Tee hirings and when to announce. Bringing Tee out for the crowd at TBA against Bama was perfect timing. A way to agitate your rival just a little more and a way to be a thorn in their side.

Pruitt is the head coach and is making these decisions. But, don't think for a bit that Fulmer doesn't have his hands in the mix. It's great to see and feel the competitive spirit back in the football program of UT going directly after the top competition in the conference....

Yeah,
When Fulmer took over the AD job / I had not seen that kind of fire in his eyes since he said / we will say National Championship / when Johnny would not talk about a Natty.

Director of Athletics. Athletics is more than football. UT should be competing for conference titles and national glory in every sport, men and women. Fulmer will be judged by more than just the gridiron. Basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, track & field, swimming & diving, volleyball, soccer, golf, rowing - every other school with a program should fear the orange & white. Fulmer needs to hire & retain the coaches who will raise UT's programs to that elite level. He wanted the job. This is the standard by which he will be judged.
Obviously....But what is the cash cow? Football needs to be #1 priority right now. Doesn't mean the other sports are neglected, just put to the side for a moment.

Reactions: AM64

True....but if our football program is a bottom feeder he will get fired even if every other sport is a top 10 team.

Thumbs up to the OP but, hey it is early and a lot of people suffering from SAD. I like Phil. He is all Vol. Me too. Hindsight still biased. The only thing that is important to me is that we win. Beat the dog snot outta every team we play. WGWTFA! So...get it figured out Holly really fast or there is the door. CJP and Chaney, and Tee et. al. have some time to get it going. Auburn and Kentucky wins were exciting. Everything else, not so much. I dont want to lose to Vandy every again and we play them in our much better stadium next season. So, whine, wimper, point fingers, whatever...AD PF has us in better shape than we been in a while and he has a lot more skin in the game that the last several regimes. GBO VFL-84 & 91-ALUM.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
Open your eyes a little wider and take off the orange glasses because from an objective viewpoint i've seen an OC hiring debacle that took forty something days where we dont know the exact details because of the administrations tight lips, but we do know everyone interviewed besides Chaney went to other schools AND we know we lost at least one earlier and better choice to OSU. We know Fulmer has been been meddling in hires and coaching(which UT had to report as a violation). We also know that there some internal problems with position coaches and coordinators and Pruitt. Some of these position changes may be good or bad...we don't know yet, but there is certainly nothing to indicate that Fulmer has saved the day by any means...in fact, I would say we are trending in the other direction until prove otherwise.
There's not one thing that you say you "know"that you actually do know. Also have you noticed that it has taken smart longer to hire a DC than it took Pruitt to hire a OC? I haven't seen any UGA fans labeling that as a debacle yet.

Reactions: AM64 and gnm53108

VN Store

Back