Growing belief methodical Fulmer gets it done....

The Chaney hire was a double whammy competitive strategic move against the UGA football program. It took their OC away from them, a marquee name OC by the way which was #1. #2 it left UGA standing there with one of their body parts in their hand stuck with a guy at OC nobody knows what kind oif job he'll do all alone. One thing is for sure, if that offense performs the slightest bit less than when Chaney was there, fans will be screaming for pelts to be taken, best believe that.

Open your eyes a little wider and take off the orange glasses because from an objective viewpoint i've seen an OC hiring debacle that took forty something days where we dont know the exact details because of the administrations tight lips, but we do know everyone interviewed besides Chaney went to other schools AND we know we lost at least one earlier and better choice to OSU. We know Fulmer has been been meddling in hires and coaching(which UT had to report as a violation). We also know that there some internal problems with position coaches and coordinators and Pruitt. Some of these position changes may be good or bad...we don't know yet, but there is certainly nothing to indicate that Fulmer has saved the day by any means...in fact, I would say we are trending in the other direction until prove otherwise.
They didn't keep you personally filled in so it was a debacle. Fulmer is meddling (which was a LIII minor who gives a **** violation). What were the internal problems? Evidently not problematic enough to make the front page on the FF. We had some Coaching turnover in the first year.......not unexpected. The ship is sinking. Fahr Philmer, Fahr Pruitt, I hate cornbread.

Did I get it right?

I agree that Fulmer is doing his job with gusto. He is also jumping in to teach the OL during practice and getting us into trouble. It only goes to show how much he loves the program and wants it to succeed.

Reactions: posivol
How Phillip handles the Holly situation will say a lot about what the priorities are. I truly hope PF can get it done because he's certainly going to try his best I believe. I just hope personal loyalty doesn't blind his judgement.

Here is a Catch 22.

If he fires Holly then he is not concerned about Football argument.
If he retains Holly another season then he is only focused on football and not doing his job as a AD.
If he retains Holly until the end of the season then he should have done it last year b4 this season.
If he fires her today, he is letting the fans run the program and he could not do it without their influence.

We get an Interim Coach and the search goes 3+ Months and he will get bashed for not making a coaching hire within an unreasonable time frame.

The search will be classified as a debacle because it was not on the fan timeline.

Replacing Holly would be easy if it were not for Pat. Finding a Coach now will be easier than it would have been after Pat.

ADPF is going to do this right and will make the right hire on the right timeline.

Open your eyes a little wider and take off the orange glasses because from an objective viewpoint i've seen an OC hiring debacle that took forty something days where we dont know the exact details because of the administrations tight lips, but we do know everyone interviewed besides Chaney went to other schools AND we know we lost at least one earlier and better choice to OSU. We know Fulmer has been been meddling in hires and coaching(which UT had to report as a violation). We also know that there some internal problems with position coaches and coordinators and Pruitt. Some of these position changes may be good or bad...we don't know yet, but there is certainly nothing to indicate that Fulmer has saved the day by any means...in fact, I would say we are trending in the other direction until prove otherwise.
Uga fan , DawgNation is not here. Take off eh

Fulmer definitely had his hand in the mix, but I also think Pruitt and Fulmer have very similar styles of running things and coaching. CJP wants VFLs onnthe sidelines coaching as much as Fulmer. It shows the legacy of the program and they have real real experiences to share with recruits. For the first time in a long time, I think we will be ok. It might be a rocky few years, but the titanic is turning around boys.

You may be right. But, damn!, don't you get tired of having and "objective view point" that is so glass half full. I get your point and have the same type view many times. But what the thread puts forth does not warrant your negative response. I don't think the thread statement was meant to evoke an argument, just a personal position on the status of things.

Reactions: coach799
I didn't read all that, but I think we probably agree. I have a growing feeling that Coach Fulmer is getting it right, and he's going to be the best thing to happen to our AD job in a long time.

I didn't think that at first. He's winning me over.

Reactions: vols4evah
I don’t think the search would qualify as a debacle, but I’m not sure I’d label Fulmer as a brilliant diabolical Bond-villain type either. My perspective (aside with having a lot of FRIEND-ly fun with it) was that it didn’t go well at first, but Fulmer, Pruitt, etc always were able to regroup and pull off a pretty good hire.

I’m kind of excited about this year, but not quite ready to climb on a unicorn and head up the rainbow just yet..........

Yeah...soooo objective. They kept a really tight lid on the OC search and that led to a lot of speculation which led to someone like you calling it a debacle. In hindsight, it looks like they planned to wrap up a deal with Yurcich after early signing day and the OSU bowl game until Ohio State offered him at the 11th hour. They quickly turned their attention to Chaney and got him hired. That sounds like a well executed search despite Yurcich deciding to go elsewhere. Very little leaked, so some folks got their panties bunched. That's not a Fulmer or Pruitt issue.

As for meddling...I doubt he does any without Pruitt's blessing. Even some UGA fans laugh at that because Pruitt was a no-nonsense guy that didn't care who he pissed off at UGA. If he didn't like it, then he said so. By all accounts, Pruitt and Fulmer are on the same page. Some folks complained about Fulmer meddling in all kinds of things when he was the head coach...they can't help but look for any excuse to roll that complaint out now that he's the AD. Maybe you should let go of your old frustrations with Fulmer the coach and give him more of a chance as AD. It would be a truly objective thing to do.

Great post. Especially the highlighted part. The speculation, unbridled opinion, anger, attacks, celebrations, and erroneous boasting by fans coupled with the shear fake news peddling media, should EMBARRASS a lot of people.
But, heck no. Let's double down and blame the "debacle" on the AD and HC. Hardly a soul owns one single portion of this insanity!

I absolutely love how JP & PF handled this. Close to the vest. We're all that matters. Take our time. Get the best we can. Let everybody else (me included) go pound sand till the press release! Solid as a rock IMO.

It's not a debacle if you end up with one of the best OC's in the country. Why this escapes people is beyond me. Also...do you really believe that Fulmer giving 30 seconds of instruction/encouragement at a practice is really that big of an issue. If you think it is I am sure the NCAA is looking to hire a few folks.
lol..i think it escapes people because it isn't true. Chaney's best offense was ranked 18th and that was with a team full of 5 stars. Several of his worst offenses have finish around 120...including one he had here. No, I don't believe Fulmer's 30 seconds of instruction were a big deal, if it were an isolated incident...I think him meddling in Pruitt's hires...(if reports are true), however is a major problem.

I don’t think the search would qualify as a debacle, but I’m not sure I’d label Fulmer as a brilliant diabolical Bond-villain type either. My perspective (aside with having a lot of FRIEND-ly fun with it) was that it didn’t go well at first, but Fulmer, Pruitt, etc always were able to regroup and pull off a pretty good hire.

I’m kind of excited about this year, but not quite ready to climb on a unicorn and head up the rainbow just yet..........

LOL! Yeah, this is all fun and games until we get humiliated in Neyland Stadium again.

In all fairness 76, this is a REPORT(= rumor) being referenced from a local media source out there. It had no more actual value at the time than if I posted on Twitter today that "Holly has agreed to step down after the season". I remember reading that one.

The sheer number of 100% FALSE media reports during that 45 days was ASTOUNDING. These people make a living by clicks. No click = no food. Rumors(baseless or not) = clicks.

There is literally NO way to piece together what happened in the OC search using MEDIA. They are far too untrustworthy. The truth is we'll never be able to know how it all happened.

Havjng Chaney here only frees up Pruitt to focus on Defense where he belongs.

It’s a win win for Tennessee. Tee is just icing on the cake and should pay off largely on the RT

I believe that was what CJP was looking for in this hire. He learned from his first year. Gives me optimism that he didn't make the same mistake twice.

Reactions: SCRocket

It has to be one or the other, no middle ground.

I didn't read all that, but I think we probably agree. I have a growing feeling that Coach Fulmer is getting it right, and he's going to be the best thing to happen to our AD job in a long time.

I didn't think that at first. He's winning me over.

It helps that he had Doug Dickey as an example. That why I never worried about him as AD. Will he make mistakes, sure. It's not always the mistake you make, it's if you correct it and learn from it.

Reactions: VolinMC and AM64
Over 35 seasons of going to football games, I've certainly seen my share of ups and downs within the football program. MOST of those seasons were ups until the last decade plus happened.

I'm really starting to gain a lot of faith and trust that Fulmer is going to not only bring UT back to relevancy, he will help build UT back to a serious contender.

I'll admit that I've hated on Fulmer as much as anyone as a fan, especially in the latter part of his coaching career. I still argue he made very costly head scratching hires that were very instrumental in his being let go as coach (don't want to get into Hamilton discussion, he ruined the program). But, enough of that..... I want to focus on all the good and smart decisions Fulmer made along the way (there are plenty)

The current Fulmer reminds me of the old Fulmer. The old Fulmer that was driven and hungry and competitive as hell to piss off his rivals and always keep a leg up on the competition. There is a long way to go, but the seeds are being planted.

Hiring Pruitt away from Bama ended up paying some dividends as it very well may have cost Bama another title. Hiring Chaney away from your division rival, who is clearly the top program in your division is a win. Especially after the so-called long wait to hire an OC with the perception that it was going badly...all the while having a plan and their guy all along....UGA can act like it's no big deal and that they weren't happy with Chaney...but that's a lie.....it is a huge deal and he's responsible for MUCH of UGAs success over last few seasons...

The hiring of Tee Martin.....not only is Tee a UT legend and title winner, he's a Bama native. Fulmer beat out Bama and others for Tee's services as a recruiter. It was a big deal. The methodical Fulmer was very strategic in his timing of when to pull the trigger on the Chaney and Tee hirings and when to announce. Bringing Tee out for the crowd at TBA against Bama was perfect timing. A way to agitate your rival just a little more and a way to be a thorn in their side.

Pruitt is the head coach and is making these decisions. But, don't think for a bit that Fulmer doesn't have his hands in the mix. It's great to see and feel the competitive spirit back in the football program of UT going directly after the top competition in the conference....

I agree that the old Fulmer was hungry and it appears the new Fulmer is hungry 😋..... that’s all I’ve got.

VN Store

Back