Greg McElroy just called out the Tennessee Oline on SEC network

I was surprised to see Jashon get beat as many times as he did. I've always considered him our best OL. However the line did shore up a bit in the 2nd H, so that I would say is reason for optimism. I'm not really one to call out a coach, because I'm not the one interacting with him/ observing him directly, but I can't help but think Mahoney needs to get his act together or we need a big hire at that position.

Reactions: 1 person
I love listening to Greg he's an up and coming star. I know he's a bammer but he is right.

He is good. Not overly arrogant or condescending. Tells it like it is. Gives props when they are deserved. He would be even better if he didn't sound like he was pinching his nose when he talks.

Reactions: 6 people
Greg McElroy is just another ESPN p*ss ant. Who cares what he says? I don't hear them saying anything about Georgia's questionable defense this season.

Georgia gave up 23 points to a pretty good offense. They had a solid performance. Stop being so angry and blind and recognize that TN has some serious OLine issues that need to be addressed, while UGA pushed the critics off their back for another week or two.

I was surprised to see Jashon get beat as many times as he did. I've always considered him our best OL. However the line did shore up a bit in the 2nd H, so that I would say is reason for optimism. I'm not really one to call out a coach, because I'm not the one interacting with him/ observing him directly, but I can't help but think Mahoney needs to get his act together or we need a big hire at that position.

It could be Mahoney, but the main problem is that they are getting beat in a one on one match up. It doesn't appear to be clever defensive scheming. As an O lineman, if you lock onto one guy on each play and beat him, your play won't be bad.

There wasn't a lot of "blown up" that happened. It was more going around. Still no excuse however.

This is very true. It was rare that they were actually pushing our guys, it's that they were just shooting the gaps in the zone blocking scheme and running right past our slower O-Linemen.

O lines must gel, work together to be effective. With Hall injured, how long has the current group been working together?

With only one injured, I do not understand how it can so effect the rest to so under preform. Don't see this as such a big problem for other teams. Thou I am not an expert, I just don't believe the loss of one person should make this much difference if we are as deep as advertised.

Why are we bashing him for making an accurate assessment of our o-line? Our offensive line is soft and has been for years. Have you guys looked up our lineman? With the exception of a few, they all look like 15 year old freshmen in high school. To be quite honest if I was an opposing teams defensive lineman I would be licking my chops knowing who was across the line of scrimmage from me because there is nothing intimidating about them. We need some burly mean ass looking guys up front with attitude and we just dont have it yet. End rant!

Go Vols and whip the Hokies azz!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
he and everyone else who chooses to, has the right to not only call out our O line, but our Offensive Coordinator after last week's performance... but for those who keep saying we ran 5 plays on purpose not to show anything (to the point of almost losing the game) and we are going to open it up this week, I hope you are right, but something tells me that will not be the case... We have too much legit talent and depth on the roster on the offense to make excuses and everyone in the country can see we are not performing up to the talent level we have. The O line is definitely the weakest link on the entire team, but why is that? Butch has been here long enough and came in seeing how depleted we were at that position... He has had long enough to recruit and develop the talent we have (Mahoney) to an extent, but has come up short.. I know we got Richmond last year and a few others (JJ-- may redshirt!?), but its strange how we have had this issue since Dooley, yet other teams seem to have success reloading their O lines-- I don't think I've heard another SEC team in 2-3 years that seems to struggle as much as we do on the O line....

They played very poorly. Maybe they were lazy, maybe they thought it didn't matter, maybe they underestimated their opponent and got shoved aside like middleschoolers. They need to play better tomorrow and if they do, we're 2-0. If they don't, I'm going to put down the binoculars and hope we can scramble.

This has always been our weakness. Dobbs threat to pull the ball and run on the read option is the only thing that has masked it.

When we don't utilize the threat of the run like last week, then our o-line gets exposed.

The most humorous thing in all this is the people that want Dormady inserted. I guess they have little regard for that kids well-being if they want him to play behind this o-line without amazing scrambling abilities.

Woah. We agree.

he and everyone else who chooses to, has the right to not only call out our O line, but our Offensive Coordinator after last week's performance... but for those who keep saying we ran 5 plays on purpose not to show anything (to the point of almost losing the game) and we are going to open it up this week, I hope you are right, but something tells me that will not be the case... We have too much legit talent and depth on the roster on the offense to make excuses and everyone in the country can see we are not performing up to the talent level we have. The O line is definitely the weakest link on the entire team, but why is that? Butch has been here long enough and came in seeing how depleted we were at that position... He has had long enough to recruit and develop the talent we have (Mahoney) to an extent, but has come up short.. I know we got Richmond last year and a few others (JJ-- may redshirt!?), but its strange how we have had this issue since Dooley, yet other teams seem to have success reloading their O lines-- I don't think I've heard another SEC team in 2-3 years that seems to struggle as much as we do on the O line....

Great post. You only have to look at what Kiffin's staff did with an undermanned O line when he was here to know that this staff is way underachieving. Same goes for the WR's.

Reactions: 2 people
Wow i knew it was bad but didn't realize it was that bad until watching it on film. Coleman Thomas needs to be benched if he is that hurt. That's a coaching decision. Put Weidman at center to make calls and put mean streak Jones at RG.

I didn't get to watch last week, but it's known our Oline is an issue. Coaches better change something fast if we're gonna win.

Greg McElroy is just another ESPN p*ss ant. Who cares what he says? I don't hear them saying anything about Georgia's questionable defense this season.

He's right, though. The O-line looked like the weakest link on the team by far last Thursday.

We had 6 lineman + Hurd blocking on one play and they sliced through us like we were hot butter. They only had 3 rushing, too. It's time to start practicing live in pads more often.

23e0a236-323d-4cc3-a71f-6e912081de68.jpg

FA9VW.jpg.jpg

Needs to get it TOGETHER!

I was actually going to make a thread on this but I changed my mind. He didn't just call them out, he did film breakdown on how bad they played. And he was 100% right.

He breaks down Coleman Thomas getting roasted

Line of scrimmage:

End result:

He also breaks down this play where we had 7 players in protection (5 OL, TE, Hurd) and they only rushed 3, and they still walked right through to Dobbs. It was bad.

Line of scrimmage:

End result:

Those are just a couple of the plays he broke down. He also broke down one where the whole line got beat by a 220 pound defensive end, and that defensive end took Hurd down on first contact. He was basically saying Hurd went down way too easily, and if you watch the play he's 100% right.

I would like to know why people thought this Oline would be great.

According to most posters Dufus Dooley left the Oline in the worst condition it's ever been in.

It takes years to build a solid Oline with depth to replace a player for a breather or when a player is injured.

How suddenly after three classes was Jones Oline supposed to be stellar?

Roll the QB out of the pocket and stop trying to jam the ball down every defenses throat. VT will stack the line tomorrow!
Play to your strengths.

People like you defend Dooley and don't realize when there are problems

VN Store

Back